• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

TTC with active perianal fistula

Hi everyone.

I have recently developed a burning desire to start a family. I have talked to my partner and we agree its time. I have stopped taking the pill this week.

My concern is that I have an active fistula - with seton in place. And I will be expecting to have further surgery in coming months.

Is it a bad idea for us to start TTC?? Im worried its the wrong time in terms of my health. But I also cant get the thought of having a baby out of my head!

Thanks for any thoughts or advice.

Hi!

I'm mostly bumping this up so it doesn't get too far down the list for you!

I haven't had a fistula - is the next surgery you'll need already on a pretty definite schedule? If you got pregnant quickly, would delaying the surgery until after baby is born be a problem?

How is your IBD other than the fistula? Do you have a lot of inflammation going on? Do you know if you have any vitamin deficiencies?

How is your GI? Have you had a chat with him/her about your current situation?

Babies are wonderful - Hoping someone else can give you more concrete advice!

Hi inkystinky. Thanks for the reply. My surgery isnt locked in...its for an advancement flap repair so i cpuld delay ot and just keep the seton i think. I believe the rest of my gi is ok - no other symptoms at the moment and no deficiencies that im aware of. Hopefully ttc will be ok :)

my little penguin

Staff member
Have you spoken to you Gi ?
I would so they can give you a better idea of whether the timing is ok as far as possible complications from crohns
I am sure they have dealt with the topic more than a few times