• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Type of yogurt maker?

I am just starting the SCD diet and am interested in making the yogurt. I would like to buy a yogurt maker but there are so many types I am confused as to which to buy. I know it says in the SCD yogurt making instructions ferment the yogurt for 24 hours, yet it looks like many online only do 6-8 hours or so. I don't want to spend a ton as I am not sure this will work out, but don't really have the time to do the other methods (heating pad, etc.). Any suggestions on a yogurt maker that is easy to use, not terribly expensive (maybe $40 give or take?) and works well? Any help/guidance is appreciated! :)

I'm also just starting. Or going to be starting. I read that the Yogourmet is the best. It has consistent heat and can run for 24 hours. I haven't tried it. Just what I read and the reviews look good.

Thank you for the information - I will look into that brand! I had looked on Amazon and there were so many brands and different kinds it was kind of overwhelming!

dave13

Forum Monitor
I recently purchased the Yogurmet from amazon.I am very pleased with it.You can make up to a half gallon at a time.You have to by the half gallon containers separately.

I'm thinking of trying to make a few batches of yogurt without a yogurt maker. Had anyone tried this? Then I can make sure it's helping before I buy the yogurt maker.

I also use the Yogourmet and like it a lot.

SCD yogurt has to be fermented for the full 24 hours at the correct temp so all the lactose is consumed by the starter culture. Six to eight hours won't accomplish that.

I made successful SCD yogurt using the heating pad method before I committed to buying a yogurt maker. It's more of a pain, but it does work. :)

I was going to try the heating pad method, but my heating pad stopped working. :p. What are the odds. Lol.

rygon

I use the easiYo. you have a tub for the yoghurt and that goes into the flask with which boiled water goes into. You leave it for 5-8hrs (but ok up to 24hrs).

To make it cheaper than buying the powdered yoghurt, I heat up milk to 70-80degC for 20mins (to help thicken it) then once cooled add a tbsp of left over yoghurt (made with culture). Add milk powder to make it even thicker

I make my own yogurt with out a machine. Buy whole milk, yogurt with live and active cultures. Heat milk but do not let it boil in a very clean pot, glass works better. remove from heat and let it cool a little bit, stir one cup of yogurt. Transfer to a glass container and cover the pot with a towel or blanket and put in a warm place for 24 hours. I use the oven or the water heater closet. That's it.

You can also make it with a slow cooker/crock pot if you have one at home:

http://www.scdrevolution.com/2014/01/easy-scd-yogurt-in-the-crock-pot/

I've made it a few times in my slow cooker but basically you put the milk in for 3 hours until it's the right temperature, turn it off for 2 hours then mix in the yogurt starter and wrap it up in a blanket for 24hrs or what I've been doing is putting it in my oven with the light on for 24hrs. Seems to have worked for me!

Good luck!

SMW - that is a great tip and thanks much for the link! Might be worth a try before I invest in a yogurt maker. Do you have a fancy thermometer like described? And did you use the sanitizer? I would be very interested in trying this method - very much appreciated. Much more comfortable doing this than the heating pad method - I am never home for 24 hours at a time and wouldn't feel great about leaving a heating pad plugged in for that long.

Hi Charlie,

I used a meat thermometer, so nothing too fancy (and has other uses!). Instead of the sanitizer I used boiling water as I think that is effective enough (it's works for jarring jams so why not this!). I don't really like having an appliance that does one thing in my house hence why I thought the slow cooker method would be a great way of eliminating the need to buy a yogurt maker.

I have been using the Yogourmet for more than a year, works great and when I recently ran out of the little dry packets to make yogurt, I bought the plain Dannon yogurt, to use as starter and my son says it makes his yogurt creamier and he likes it better than the dry packets. For the milk, I always use organic whole milk.

I have been using the Yogourmet for more than a year, works great and when I recently ran out of the little dry packets to make yogurt, I bought the plain Dannon yogurt, to use as starter and my son says it makes his yogurt creamier and he likes it better than the dry packets. For the milk, I always use organic whole milk.
I prefer Dannon as well. Even though I use the packets for convenience, they make the yogurt more tart in my opinion. Even drained it's much more tart. For a sour cream replacement that's great but with fruit....not so good. :lol: