• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Uc not visible in colonoscopy

Hi I'm just wondering why some cases of uc aren't visible in colonoscopy and only in biopsy and some do show. I was just diagnosed with active uc but only showed up in biopsy results.

Thanks

Some times the level of inflammation isn't visible to the naked eye but there is inflammation present just at the cellular level, hence picked up by the pathologist during biopsy.

My son has CD, not UC. At diagnosis, his inflammation was severe and chronic and visible during scope. At various other times, after starting a med, after surgery, he has had scopes that looked pristine but the disease was still active at the cellular level as seen by biopsy.

There is also another form of IBD, microscopic colitis, that can't be seen with a scope. There are two types of microscopic colitis collegenous colitis and lymphocytic colitis. In most cases, it's less severe than other forms of IBD.

I've had the same experience to begin with, my colonoscopy only showed inflammation on the biopsy in my ascending colon. My doc said it was likely mild Crohn's colitis (as it was patchy).

I was told they would know more as the disease progressed but they found it before I developed any complications (such as strictures, fistulas etc.). They tried me on no medication for a while and I wouldn't recommend this from my own experience as I ended up in hospital. By the time I has my second scope (5 months after the first) the inflammation was visible to the naked eye.

I was classed at having active mild disease at the beginning so I would think you would be the same. I hopefully they can get you on the right treatment to stop the progression before it gets further.

Good luck!

Hi I'm just wondering why some cases of uc aren't visible in colonoscopy and only in biopsy and some do show. I was just diagnosed with active uc but only showed up in biopsy results.

Thanks

That's a good question!! I have the same issue . I also have active disease OUTSIDE the colon vs inside . It was accidentally found when I had exploratory surgery to see if I had endometriosis .

Thank you! Wow that's so strange I never new that could happen. I'm really glad to see that I'm not the only one makes me feel much better.