• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Upcoming bowel resection

Hi everyone,

Well it had been a while since I've been on this forum. I had been doing fairly well over the years since my emergency bowel resection in 2013/ostomy reversal in 2014. I went on Remicade back in mid 2018 due to some peri-anal fistulas that didn't want to close, and had been on the remicade for almost a year when I developed an abdominal abscess. One IR drain and abscessogram later they found a fistula from the small bowel leaking all sorts of juicy fluids and junk. Treated with an abdominal drain and 2+ months of antibiotics to try and reduce the infection/swelling/inflammation in my abdomen before wanting to do a surgery.

Needless to say, went and got a second opinion from a surgeon affiliated with a tertiary medical center and now have surgery scheduled for this upcoming week instead of mid-September. Surgeon says I will more than likely end up with a temporary ostomy, based off my extensive history...which I've been through before and will get through again. Just another chapter in the life of a Crohnie right? :)

good luck my friend. I'm in a kind of similar situation... had a surgery in 2013, luckily not emergency, and did strictureplasty instead of resections.
Now i'm candidate for another surgery within probably 4-6 months, as I have again stenoses and a non symptomatic fistula in the small bowel. There will be some resection of course this time.

Let us know how it goes!