• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Ustekinumab infusion duration

I have just had ustekinumab approved for me in the UK as nothing else is helping much.

I have been told the first loading dose is an infusion. I wondered how long it takes and how long you have to be observed afterwards? I will be the first to have it in my hospital and so the doc/IBD nurse cant give me any detail.

Also any obvious side effects with the infusion or afterwards?

Thanks

Infusion is weight based, so different for everyone. Mine took 1 1/2 hrs, I had no side effects. They watched for 30min after and then I went home. I'm in USA, not sure if they will do it different in UK. good luck. It did take 6 weeks for any improvements with me.

If this is the same as Stelara I had my first dose on Monday. It took about an hour. Total time at the doctors office was about 90 minutes, the rest was going over the procedure and answering questions. I had no side effects. I drove myself from work and when it was over went directly back to work. That did surprise the nurse, she said most people just take the day off.

I have just had ustekinumab approved for me in the UK as nothing else is helping much.

I have been told the first loading dose is an infusion. I wondered how long it takes and how long you have to be observed afterwards? I will be the first to have it in my hospital and so the doc/IBD nurse cant give me any detail.

Also any obvious side effects with the infusion or afterwards?

Thanks
Hi there, I have recently been offered ustekinumab in the UK.

I wondered if you could share your experience of it and how you came to be on it?

Many thanks.

I chose it because I thought it had the least side effects. No side effects so far...just mild headaches rarely, although that could be associated with the low dose prednisone I am on.