• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Vitamin B12 supplements

I have mild to moderate Crohn's. My tongue is sore, which is a symptom of vitamin B12 deficiency. I am going to take a B12 supplement. Is there any way to determine how much (micrograms) to take each day?

My nutritionist has me doing 5000 mg's under the tongue with Sublingul. It is very very hard to overdose on b12 according to one of my doctors. He said b12 and d3 are Crohn's happy vitamins. I do liquid versions of both, the latter I mix in applesauce.

My nutritionist has me doing 5000 mg's under the tongue with Sublingul. It is very very hard to overdose on b12 according to one of my doctors. He said b12 and d3 are Crohn's happy vitamins. I do liquid versions of both, the latter I mix in applesauce.
I take 1 tablet three times a day. Mine is both b12 and folic acid

Scipio

Since B12 is a water soluble vitamin that is excreted by the kidneys, if you take too much what you mostly end up with is expensive urine.

I have mild to moderate Crohn's. My tongue is sore, which is a symptom of vitamin B12 deficiency. I am going to take a B12 supplement. Is there any way to determine how much (micrograms) to take each day?
i wouldn't do anything without asking my doc. too much b12 can worsen things.

Your doctor should know, as my doctor and the doctor that leads my support group that it is very difficult to overdose B vitamins as they will be expelled in urine. If you drink enough water there will be no damage,

More importantly is Crohn’s people need extra B12 and D3 vitamins because we do not absorb as much as others. D3 is natural and absorbs better than synthetic D2.

I’m also taking B12 and D3. Even though I’m in Florida I take D3. I try to stay mostly covered up due to damage from years in the sun.

It is needed to convert carbohydrates into glucose in the body, thus leading to energy production and a decrease in fatigue and lethargy in the body.
It helps in healthy regulation of the nervous system, reducing depression, stress, and brain shrinkage.
It helps maintain a healthy digestive system. Vitamin B12 also protects against heart disease by curbing and improving unhealthy cholesterol levels, protecting against stroke, and high blood pressure.
It is essential for healthy skin, hair, and nails. It helps in cell reproduction and constant renewal of the skin.
Vitamin B 12 helps protect against cancers including breast, colon, lung, and prostrate cancer.

scottsma

Thanks for that.I take a B12 and D3 supplement along with a few others.Sometimes I forget why I'm taking them so thanks for the reminder.

I’ve been making my own milk kefir for the past four years. It has definitely helped with the constant diarrhea. Still have the occasional unannounced bouts, but nothing like the nightmares of the past twenty years. I began making my own yogurt this year as well. SO much better than any store bought yogurt. I make a batch in my crockpot every two weeks. And am making my own butter now, too. I take 4000 IU of Vitamin D3 every day. Will inquire about the Vit B12 to see if I need that. I’m supposed to take folic acid, but haven’t as of yet.

If you've had bowel resection then might need injections or another way of getting it into the body as the bit they often cut out is the bit responsible for digesting it. You can get a blood test to see where your levels are at which will indicate whether you're okay or need to up it a bit. I tried transdermal patches but found it very expensive so now use a daily oral spray which is supposed to mean it gets absorbed into bloodstream from your mouth innards.