• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Were these side effects of Azathioprine?

Hey everyone! Hope everybody is doing ok.

I have been diagnosed with Crohns 4 months ago and I am currently tapering cortisone (started at 30mg, now at 10 mg) and also I started azathioprine 50 mg a day two weeks ago.

For the first two weeks I did not have any problem at all. I was taking the cortisone in the morning and aza after lunch. Suddenly last Monday in the afternoon (about 5-6 hours after I took aza) i started feeling a little bit of stomach cramping at the area between the belly button and the sternum. Also i developed a slight fever that lasted till next day in the morning.

Since my GI has told me to be alert about possible side effects I went straight for blood exams the next day where I saw that amylase was slightly elevated (110 with upper limit 100) and my CRP was like 3 times the normal value. I took AZA at dinner and sent the exams to my GI via email.

4-5 hours later I woke up with an intense stomach-belly ache that was in the center area and started vomiting. Also my temperature started to rise. Got kinda freaked out so I went to the hospital where I stayed for one day and they run every single exam on me. My pancreas was normal at the ultrasound and amylase got up a bit more (140) but still relatively ok so my GI said that pancreatitis is probably not the case. They mentioned that maybe it was a stomach virus or smth like that but a definitive diagnosis was not established. My blood exams after a day turned out ok and I got back home.

My GI told me to discontinue AZA for 2 weeks and rechallenge it again just to be on the safe side.

My questions are the following?

1)Has this happened to anybody? Is vomiting a thing with AZA?

2)Does this mean that I have an allergy to AZA?

3)Any tips about taking AZA to avoid vomiting episodes?

Thank you all and god bless you.
Deadstar

Trysha

Staff member
I had the stomach pain and fevers similar to yours and also after two weeks of taking the same azathioprine dose as yours.
The drug was immediately discontinued.....I did not get the work up that you were given..
Just a few blood tests that did not get discussed.
This is termed an adverse reaction.
This drug is known to cause pancreatitis and it sounds as if this is what you had especially with an amylase increase......maybe caught just in time.
There's no way I would take it again and since I changed to another GI it no longer
Is mentioned.
Sorry to hear you have had a bad time...feel better soon
Hugs and best wishes
Trysha

Last edited:

fuzzy butterfly

Hi I was on azathioprine for a few months, then started being sick after I took it. Turns out that it had sent my liver levels through the roof. I was told to stop it straight away.
Best wishes 💕

I had the stomach pain and fevers similar to yours and also after two weeks of taking the same azathioprine dose as yours.
The drug was immediately discontinued.....I did not get the work up that you were given..
Just a few blood tests that did not get discussed.
This is termed an adverse reaction.
This drug is known to cause pancreatitis and it sounds as if this is what you had especially with an amylase increase......maybe caught just in time.
There's no way I would take it again and since I changed to another GI it no longer
Is mentioned.
Sorry to hear you have had a bad time...feel better soon
Hugs and best wishes
Trysha
I had pancreatitis several years ago from TPN. I have been on azathioprine for a while. Is there more of a chance to get pancreatitis again?