• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What does this mean?

Hello. I recently had my 1st colonoscopy and this is my results.
I don't see Dr for 3 more weeks. Can anyone help me to understand this?
Diagnosis

1. TRANSVERSE COLON, BIOPSY:
- CHRONIC ACTIVE COLITIS.
- NEGATIVE FOR GRANULOMAS OR DYSPLASIA.

Comment: Sections show segments of benign colonic mucosa with
scattered foci of acute cryptitis and crypt abscesses and diffuse
increased lamina propria chronic lymphoplasmacytic inflammation.

2. SIGMOID COLON, POLYPECTOMY:
- SESSILE SERRATED ADENOMA.

3. SIGMOID COLON, BIOPSY:

The features of chronic active colitis may be seen in certain
infectious colitides and in inflammatory bowel disease. Clinical
correlation is required.

Wasn't sure if it was looking like more of 1 than the other as in Ulcerative colitis or Crohns.
Thank you for your time..😀

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Not sure, but it almost looks like your colitis is active and you have polyps. Kinda also looks like they may have taken biopsies of the polyps and your sigmoid colon where they found the polyps.

But, your best bet for exact info would be to either wait for your appointment or, you could always call the office with questions. Please keep us updated on how you're doing!

I've contacted my Dr. He prescribed Lialda, which I'm taking 4 pills a day.
Other than that, they aren t telling me anything til my appt.
Thank you so much 😀

Biopsies are classified by pathologists as positive for crohn’s if they contain granulomas. At the same time, only about 30% of patients with crohn’s have granulomas. Frustratingly, some GIs will only diagnose drohn’s if the biopsies show granulomas. Others go by inflammation plus symptoms. Right now your GI may be thinking ulcerative colitis because of the biopsies, but depending on your symptoms you might want to have more imaging done so your entire digestive tract can be imaged. Lialda is generally prescribed for UC patients but not for crohn’s patients since it isn’t a strong enough medication for crohn’s.

This makes sense. With the areas that are showing colitis, that pattern. Do the Dr's look at that? I've read that UC colitis starts at bottom and continues without skipping areas. Where as Crohns colitis skips areas. I am so sorry for all the questions.

No apology necessary. I forgot to mention that since there were skip areas crohn’s would be more likely. UC does not skip. It doesn’t always involve the whole length of the colon, but it is always a continuous segment, if that makes sense. If that’s the case, you should probably be on a stronger medication. Lialda should not be used as a monotherapy for crohn’s. What are your symptoms, if you don’t mind my asking? I have small bowel crohn’s so get diarrhea only if things are really bad. Otherwise i am constipated and my pain symptom is severe abdominal pain. When do you see your GI?

My symptoms have been constant pain on my right side, just at bottom of ribs. Chronic constipation, constant gas and bloating. Recently I've started experiencing sharp jab pains on left side and lower right side.
I go back to my GI on April 23rd.

Scipio

I don't see Dr for 3 more weeks. Can anyone help me to understand this?
Diagnosis

1. TRANSVERSE COLON, BIOPSY:
This means you active long-term inflammation of the colon, but the tissue does not confirm Crohn's nor does it look like cancer or pre-cancer ("dysplasia")

Doc saw segments of normal looking tissue and some spots of inflammation and possibly infection. The discontinuous nature of the inflammation suggests that it's not UC. The bottom layer of tissue in the mucosa showed long-term inflammation including the presence of lymphocytes (a certain type of white blood cell).

2. SIGMOID COLON, POLYPECTOMY:
- SESSILE SERRATED ADENOMA.
Doctor saw and removed a polyp. The polyp was flattened against gut wall and had a jagged-looking edge.

3. SIGMOID COLON, BIOPSY:
Took another biopsy of colon tissue and it showed active, long-term inflammation but again did not confirm Crohn's nor suggest cancer. Crohn's is not ruled out, but it's not confirmed either.

The features of chronic active colitis may be seen in certain
infectious colitides and in inflammatory bowel disease. Clinical
correlation is required.
Says this colonic inflammation could be due to either certain infections or IBD, and you would need to compare these findings to the symptoms to help decide the matter.

I hope this helps.

Thank you. Yes help a a Lot.
Dr prescribed Lialda. I've read that is used for IF. Do you know if it's used for other issues as well ??

Scipio

Lialda is a relatively mild drug used to treat inflammation of the colon. It's primarily used in UC but some docs use it in Crohn's is well, although some studies suggest that it works no better than placebo for Crohn's.

Thank you so much for all the information.
This waiting for my appt is keeping me on edge.
Just ready to know for sure what's going on..

Lialda is a relatively mild drug used to treat inflammation of the colon. It's primarily used in UC but some docs use it in Crohn's is well, although some studies suggest that it works no better than placebo for Crohn's.
I second this. I have Crohn"s disease and my doctor has me on Lialda.