• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What foods do you find helpful for your IBD?

tonya_n_ky

I see that there are posts about foods u can't live without and some saying what you can handle. I'm just wondering if any of you have certain foods that you find enjoyable that seems to "agree" with you. I'm tired of the same things and looking for better things to eat as well. =)

Cara Fusinato

Sarcastic Forum Comedian
Jello pudding in all flavors. Ensure. All kidding aside . . . I have this fabulous recipe for pesto lasagne (thanks to Martha Stewart). When I was having flare-up trouble, I popped it in the food processor and it turned into a tasty soup-like thing. Come to think of it, I did the same thing with regular lasagne too! Who knew? Lasagne food-processed turns into a GREAT hot dip for chips!

R

ruthymg

Hi, Tonya,

Apart from a few things are are definately no no during a flare up I pretty much eat what I want. I absolutely love fish with sauces, or in breadcrumbs or just on its own steamed with steamed veg. Easy to digest too. I actually find pasta a little heavy, it bloats me right up.

Ruth

tonya_n_ky

Cara- The milk in the pudding doesn't bother u? Milk in general goes right through me, lol. The lasagna idea sounds yummy. Thanks for the post =)

Ruth- I too like fish, had it for dinner last night =) It's not so much pasta that tears me up, it's the tomato sauces that do.

I am a Mommy so any recipes for "family" meals that are healthy and also kid friendly would be great if anyone has some. Thanks

Cara Fusinato

Sarcastic Forum Comedian
I, fortunately, can still drink milk. I know, it just adds that stupid bacteria, but I have been a milk drinker my whole life, I know, that's how I got that stupid bacteria. Maybe I can lobby the milk industry? Seriously, sadly, I love milk and sometimes it's the only thing I want.

S

Skinsfan1229

Mashed potatoes, scrambled eggs (if i dont think about it), roterserie chicken is NOT hard on the stomach, so thats about the only meat i eat when sick.

I eat mostly starches and de-fatted meats. Can't digest fruits or veggies at all unless they are cooked almost to a pulp, which pretty much destroys the nutritional content as well as the flavor. I can eat dairy in small quantities. My meats are usually pork or skinless chicken breast. I love beef and do eat it sometimes, but it's usually pretty bad for me. It's marbled with fat (much moreso than the little bit in pork) so I have a rough time with it. Pork, I can trim off the outside fat & that makes it digestible, however, I dont' eat a whole lot of meat of any kind. Mostly starches with a little gravy, sauce or cheese. Oh, and peanut butter (never whole nuts) and fish.

Cara, i used to drink at least 2 glasses of milk a day, and years later i got crohns. milk definetely has something to do with symptoms so try to stay away from it for your health!

I can drink it fine to this day, but since i've stopped drinking it i've felt MUCH MUCH better......

Cara Fusinato

Sarcastic Forum Comedian
I know . . . It makes me very sad that MILK could be a huge factor in this illness. I notice that if I drink a lot of milk, I get a touch of pain (inflammation, I imagine). I keep telling myself not to touch the stuff, the husband guzzles it, and I am definitely going to wean myself down to just in the infrequent cereal (and I only barely dampen it). Tell me I can still have some ice cream though! Not often because we live an hour away from town and ice cream doesn't make it home -- it's the ice cream sandwich treat every once in awhile. Jeez, I think it would be easier to get off drugs or alcohol than it will be for me to avoid milk. I know, thanks for all the comments to urge me to ban the white stuff!

S

Skinsfan1229

Thats ironic, MAP theory would contradict the way Cara Fusinato feels.

We're all different.

R

ruthymg

I have terrible bloating and stomach pain with both milk and icecream, can't believe you're ok to eat icecream. Just goes to show.

Ruth

S

Skinsfan1229

So is it like your lactose intolerant WHEN flaring and only when flaring? Thats hwo I am.

Ruthymg...you should stop by any vitamin store or GNC and pick up some digestive enzymes. You only take them when you eat, or like me when you eat something that gives you problems. I dont get bloating, indegestin, or pain, I take just one pill, and they reccomemnd 2 to 4 for a "snack". I do have to say it works great for me. And for 10 dollars it wouldnt hurt to try, you can probably find them even cheaper.

By the way I use Garden of Life, O-mega zymes, they work great, and work on dairy, carbs, fats, and proteins. Basically you have ezymes that break down these 4 things in your stomach, the digestive enzymes just basically "adds" a little more enzymess of each type of enzyme to break down each of the 4, or only 1 of the things that you need "help" with.

Please try these, very cheap, over the counter, probably have to go to a vitamin store not a pharmacy for them, unless you went to somwhere like wal-mart, they might have it because they have a lot of over the counter supplements and such.

Cara Fusinato

Sarcastic Forum Comedian
OK -- I've been off the white stuff for a day now. Yes, it's THAT hard for me. I did, though, have this ice cream cookie thing. It's a rare treat when I get to the local country store where they have them. Yes, I can drink a gallon of milk, flaring or not. I can eat ice cream. In fact, when I was so bad right after diagnosis, ice cream was one of my only edible foods. One thing, milk's getting so expensive that it sure saves money not having it. Now to face, day two without the lovely comfort of mmmmm. I told you it's gonna be a hard habit to kick!