• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What is the diff between crohns and microscopic colitis?

hi there,
What's the difference between crohn's disease and microscopic colitis? My Gastro insn't sure that I have crohn's (as of my appnt this past week). My MRI report said
"THERE IS A SEGMENT OF SMALL BOWEL IN THE RIGHT MIDABDOMEN AND RIGHT ABDOMINAL PELVIC JUNCTION THAT DOES APPEAR TO BE THICKENED AND ENHANCING TO A GREATER DEGREE THAN NORMAL. THESE FINDINGS ARE CONSISTENT WITH REGIONAL ENTERITIS AND WOULD BE COMPATIBLE WITH CROHN'S IN THE PROPER CLINICAL SETTING. THE TERMINAL ILEUM ITSELF IS NOT ABNORMAL IN APPEARANCE WHICH IS UNUSUAL FOR CROHN'S, WHICH TYPICALLY DOES INVOLVE THE TERMINAL ILEUM IN ABOUT 90% OF CASES.
So............don't have any idea with I have. My symptoms are a severe lack of appetite and of course lots of diarrhea and loose bowel movements. Can't remember the last time I had a normal "stool". ANY ADVICE? THANKS.....THIS IS A GREAT SITE!

No, my doctor told me she doubts that I have Crohns. My first gastro doctor called it Ankylosing Spondylitis associated colitis because I also have A.S. (have had both hips replaced). But this second doc who I went to after being with the first gastro doc for 19 years says she thinks it could be IBS. I think she is competely wrong. When I take a humira injection my symptoms are greatly reduced for about 4-5 days and then all my symptoms come back with a vengence. So--she just seemed skeptical about the crohns diagnosis. I didn't ask about microscopic colitis because I had never heard of it. Thanks for responding.

I have microscopic colitis. It's been a difficult illness to control. I have had some success in the past with Entocort. Then, I did many diet eliminations. Best wishes.

I am new to the forum. Thankful to have a sounding board for Microscopic colitis as it appears to be kind of hard to nail down. So many different manifestations of the disease. I was diagnosed about a year ago after 4-1/2 months of constant diarrhea. During that time I also got the flu and pneumonia at the same time. Needless to say, I was extremely ill. I also have had Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) for 12 years. I was wondering how much success MC sufferers have had with a paleo type diet. Pepto Bismol has worked very well for me when I have episodes of diarrhea. Looking forward to hearing from some of you good people!