• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What's this Drug?

M

Mozam

Hey guys,

Dunno if any of you have experience of this drug or not, and it might not even help that I don't know the exact name - I'll confirm tomorrow once I've spoken to my mate.

This mate of mine has had a really hard time over the last 8 or 9 years. He's a fellow chronie, and has literally taken every medicine that I know, and has undergone more ops than the US Armed Forces!

Anyway, he emailed me today after not hearing from him in a couple of months, and he is honestly a new man. He's feeling better than ever, in no pain, has more energy than ever before, and his outlook on life is completely different. He's apparantly on a drug now which is called Hemuri or something - like I say, I may have the name wrong, it may not even be the nedical name for it. I'll hopefully know more tomorrow, but I just wanted to post this hilst what I DO know is still fresh - that's not a lot it may seem! :cool:

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
It may be what I believe is called Humira. This is very simular to remicade, however it is derived totally from human sources (unlike remicade which contains some mouse). I know this last part sounds a bit weird, but thats just the way it is. Anyways I think Humira is supposed to be even more effective than Remicade, and has had results for some people when Remicade did not work. It is not currently allowed for use in Canada (at least that is what I think I was told) however it is used in the United States.

M

Mozam

Hey Mike,

You got it in one buddy - I knew you would know what this stuff was! I'm just home from the pub, and I STILL know that this is what my mate was referring to! Humira is the name he gave me.

We've all seen on this board that different strokes for different folks if you will, but I can't stress enough - my pal John was a TOTALLY different guy before he mentioned this stuff.

Thanks for confirming what I THOUGHT I knew Mike! You're truly the master on the matters!

S

Sparrow

can't wait till they we can use it in Canada, probably less side effects and bad reactions since it's human and no mouse in it.

R

Rob17870

Ive been on humira for about a month and a half, it seems to be working fine. It was a pain in the ass to get insurance on though and it stings pretty bad when you inject it. Other then that no problems.

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Rob17870 said:
Ive been on humira for about a month and a half, it seems to be working fine. It was a pain in the ass to get insurance on though and it stings pretty bad when you inject it. Other then that no problems.
I thought it was given by I.V. like Remicade... is this not true?

V

Valentina

I can hardly wait for it to be approved in Canada as well, my biggest fear is that the remicade will stop working for me and then what? so hope it will be around when that happens.. I also heard its through an injection you give yourself, so looking forward to it being a lot more simple than a 4 hour infussion every 8 weeks. (someone else will have to poke me mind you, not good with that part, lol)

J

Jonny

I want some too..And i will happyily inject you Valentina Dearest muhahaha!!

self injections dont appeal to me, but if it works, it works....humira recently had a whole media frenzy on some side effect...but I think a crohns medicine without side effects would just be boring. ;)

V

Valentina

LOL, I would be more suspicious if they said it had NO side effects... cant trust anything that doesnt hurt a bit.

T

Trixie329

Humira is not yet approved for use in Crohns in the US. Still waiting. Its driving me nuts!!!

I - like Valentina - can't wait because after nearly four years on remicade I feel like a ticking clock for it to stop working or to have a reaction.

M

mikeplatt8

Humira

If I live in the US and talk to my GI about getting on this drug do you think it is possible and let me know some more about this drug.