• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

When do you switch medication?

I just did Simponi shot #5 and I think I've been taking it for about 8 weeks now. Still not feeling any better. Anyone know if it could suddenly make me feel better if it has not started working gradually? I just don't see how it could start working now and not when I was taking more of it. I'm now taking it every 4 weeks but the initial loading dose was two shots at once and then at two weeks and four weeks. It just seems like if I was going to respond it would have been when I was taking it more often, right?

I'm just wondering what I should say next week at my check up. If I should stick to it and hope it gets better or if it's not working now should I ask for something else? Any advice? Thanks!

I'm pretty sure I've read on here where people have said that their meds. took some time to work . I think everyone is different so if you trust your Gastro I would just ask him/her what they think. For me my crohns symptoms disappeared the second day after the loading dose of 4 shots of Humira. The side effects were another story.(Those came later)

Maya142

Staff member
My daughter is one of those people who takes a long time to respond - it took 6-8 months for Humira to work and 4 months before we even saw improvements at all on Simponi. She is still on Simponi (it's been nearly 6 months now) and her Crohn's is now completely under control (but her AS is still a work in progress). She has had no side effects at all!

That said, you should definitely ask your doctor. Hang in there!

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
I echo the others. Yes, it can take some time to kick in and start working. But, I would say that after 8 weeks of it not kicking in I would make sure to ask your doctor about it. He/She may have some ideas as far as maybe adjusting the dose or what to try.

Please keep us updated on how you're doing!!! Take care. :)

Maya142

Staff member
Cross-stitch gal is right - my daughter actually needed a higher dose of Simponi (twice a month) before it started working.