• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Do you smoke?

Do you smoke?

• Yes I smoke.

Votes: 51 33.8%
  • No I don't smoke.

Votes: 67 44.4%
  • I used to smoke.

Votes: 33 21.9%

• Total voters
M

Machinehead

Would like to know the percentage of you that smoke. As I smoke and found that it deprives your body of vitamain C. And might help contribute to the underlying cause.

D

Donna

I used to smoke when I was younger, but have quit for almost 20 years now. Hope that might help ya!!

Donna

J

Jonny

Hi Machine head.I used to smoke and give up for the past few years..However ive started and stoped for a week and started again and after this weekend i hope to stop again.Just going cold turkey.

I feel for me smoking definately doesnt help my crohns.
All the best to you.

J

JoJo

I have never smoked although when I was young both my parents did.

V

Valentina

might take it up

I dont smoke, but if Jonny doesnt quit, Im going to take it up... its better than second hand right? lol
and I miss inhaling it since Ive been home...:devil:

Tami Lynn

Forum Angel
I tried to quit many times in the past only to pick it back up again.

Then in 1992, I finally quit smoking for good (14 years ago); I haven't picked up a cigarette since. It was one of the best decisions I ever made, but I don't think I could have done it without God's help.

I actually ENJOYED smoking; that was my biggest problem. I knew I should quit, but I needed help with getting rid of my desire for it...so that's what I prayed (that God would take away my desire for it) and that's when I was finally able to quit once and for all :D

S

scottishgirl

i smoke¬ ive cut down a lot but i do smoke, on one hand yes it probably doesnt help with the crohns but on the other when im up in pain till 3-4am its something that helps me a lot.

I find cigs to be one of the most annoying things around. No offense to those of you who smoke... ;)
I hate the way it smells with a passion.
So no..I dont smoke...cigs.

K

Kate

no i hate smokeing and never done it yet i sometimes have overwhelming urges to do it

K

k-t

I smoke and i have given up and restarted way too many times, one day i will conquer it!

Ktxx

B

BikerBabe

I tried to quit smoking to please an ex boyfriend back in 1996. As soon as I quit, the gut pain started and sometimes I was passing out from the pain. Doc I had then told me to smoke again, it helped some of the pain go away, but things were never the same again!

It got worse and worse, to the point by 1998 I was on 400 mg of morphine and 1-2 Vic ES every 4 hours to try to get the pain gone. Never completely got it all, but enough where I could function somewhat .. if I used the wheelchair to get pushed around in and didn't try to do anything physical like walking. (Not that I could after dropping to 72 pounds.)

Docs told me I was a drug seeker, a liar or crazy and they could refer me to a nice shrink. I finally moved to Phoenix and tried one more time to get a doc to listen to me. By then I couldn't walk on my own I was so weak and underweight and I had to be carried into his office. He finally ordered a barium gulp, iodine push CT Scan and found my Crohn's.

Will I quit smoking again? NO WAY. I did cut down from 2 packs to 1 1/2 packs after they removed a foot of my small gut. I flared again. Smoking has been proven to help people with Colitis stay in remission. It also helps Crohnies who have a paradoxical reaction to meds, which I do, have lessor flares and pain.

I guess I don't need to go into how the smoking nannies out there have now made it impossible for me to go anywhere or do anything. Smokers are now the new outcasts of society and we are 3rd class citizens. So be it. At least I am able to take less painkiller and not pass out so often from the pain.

Do I miss being able to go outside my home and do things like non smokers? Sure. Will I give up smoking just to make them happy, knowing it will end up with me back in surgery losing more of my guts? No. I'll stay home and use the internet as my way out to the world.

KC .. bite me! (LOL, for those that don't know, KC and I have been online friends for the past 6-7 yrs, so that comment won't offend him.)

B

boneyboy

I've been smoking since I was 15 (13 years). I read a study back in, oh, 1998 about smoking's affect/effect (which one?!?!) on CD/UC. It makes CD worse, but actually improves UC. Go figure. Keep in mind, this is a big generalization, and as a disclaimer i must state that everyone's experience will be different. Thank you.

R

ruthymg

I smoked from the age 0f 12 to 19, quit for 18 months when I had my son in 1993, started again when he was around 6 months old, quit for 7 months when he was about 3 years old, that would have been moving into 1994 and quit again when I became pregnant with my daughter in 2004 and I haven't touched one since. Think I have grown out of smoking now, I definately don't fancy one any more. I also had several lectures from my crohns consultant about how smoking makes your crohns worse and I have to say that in my case, it probably did. I seemed to have constant stomach ache when I smoked that wouldn't go away no matter what I did. Feel much better for stopping just wish the crohns would behave itself now!!

Ruth

Smoking

I started when I was 12 my school friends made me have a drag. I remember the first pack I ever bought was Kool menthol. Smoked for years then I quit for several months. Then I started back up. Smoked through my pregnancy(I think thats why my daughter has asthma because her father smokes too) all that second hand smoke she was inhaling and all the parting we used to do.Back then my CD didnt bother me much. Maybe because I was getting Professional foot massages and taking herbs from the brand name was called Sunshine and the herb was called CLTX. CD never really dampened my social life untill I had the first surgery about 11 yrs ago. then Ive just gone down hill (rolling faster and faster)ever since. Then i tried to quit about 1 year ago (because the price for a pack of smokes is like 8 bucks who can afford that)and have been successfull. I am now SMOKE FREE. I do believe that it does affect CD people. I remember having a smoke first thing in the morning couldnt even finish the smoke without running (not walking) to the tolit. There was many of times that I didnt make it. LOL It is also very bad for your bones too, I also suffer from osteperois (cant spell that) I have to take a pill once a week called actenol. NOw I cant even stand the smell of it. IT lingures into your clothes hair your whole house. Wiping off this yellow stuff called nicotin. I also gained weight when I quit even,food tastes so much better. Everything is better when you quit smoking. No more yellow fingers. I could go on and on but I wont bore you any more.

Later TAMMY:ladysman:

S

SoccerMom

Hi Everyone ! I was a smoker from 11-26 with short breaks when I was pregnant. As soon as I got pregnant the smell of cigs made me vomit :( Oddly enough I was never too sick when I was smoking, no meds or hopsital stays ,I always had a "sensative stomach", I would flare during pregnancy (I wasn`t dianosed yet) but being pregnant was the scapegoat or something I ate ect... If I thought it would help I would start again but I can`t afford it & I don`t like to stand outside. I`m from Upstate NY & nobody is allowed to smoke anywhere. My family would be quite angry with me also, we are a smoke free bunch.

工作总结  单位总结  个人总结  半年总结  述职报告  工作汇报  调研报告  工作计划  实习报告  考察报告  工作报告  总结  月工作总结  班主任总结  工作总结  年终总结  工作总结  个人总结  半年工作  2007上半年工作总结  学生总结  税务总结  财务总结  学校总结  其它总结

【演讲致辞】
  精彩演讲  竞职演讲  征文演讲  爱国演讲  就职演说  庆典致辞  节日致辞  婚礼致辞  晚会主持  祝福贺电  演 讲  英语演讲稿  竞聘演讲  会议发言  爱国演讲  就职演说  开业开幕  庆典致辞  婚丧嫁娶  领导讲话  征文演讲  主持词   演讲稿

【领导讲话】
  党政报告  政府政务  组织人事  思想宣传  群众团体  经济工作  廉政建设  会议发言  乡镇农村  政法军事  会议主持

【心得体会】
  工作体会  学习心得  思想理论  经验交流  感想随笔  企业文化  教育教学  节日祝福  热点学习

【党建材料】
  党委党建  入党申请  转正申请  思想汇报  民主生活  事迹材料  入团申请  党团知识  党政培训

【常用范文】
  个人简历  策划方案  规章制度  申报材料  写作知识  合同协议  法律文书  学习材料  公务员考试

【论文中心】
  毕业论文  法律论文  行政论文  经济论文  学术论文  理论文章  医学论文  综合论文

【应用文档】
  通知公告  申请请示  自我鉴定  条据书信  商务公文  情书大全  毕业赠言  晚会节目  新闻通讯  经典短信

【热点主题】
  科学发展观心得体会  改革开放30周年  讲党性重品行  解放思想大讨论  改革  十七大  寒假社会实践报告  国旗下讲话  讲正气树新风  干部作风整顿  两会  八荣八耻  和谐社会  新农村建设  青少年  毕业  实践  婚庆  礼仪    致辞  法律  贺词  环保  科技  文明  鉴定  读后感  申请书

【节日专题】
  圣诞节  元旦  春节  元宵节  三八妇女节  植树节  清明节  五一劳动节  五四青年节  国际护士节  十一国庆节  六一儿童节  七一建党节  八一建军节  父亲节  母亲节  教师节  中秋节  重阳节  老人节  情人节  艾滋病日

【职位职业】
  市长  厅长  县长  区长  局长  处长  主任  镇长  乡长  科长    组长  村长  股长  书记  主席  主管  董事  经理  校长  教师    班长  学生  厂长  店长  社长  行长  院长  会计  律师  医生    护士  大学生  公务员  班主任  警察

【政府机构】
  党委  法院  信访  检察  人大  政协  司法  计生  公安  公路    交通  财政  工商  税务  宣传  电力  行政  水利  组工  综治    财务  人事  妇联  机关  国土  规划  保密  档案  残联  老干    林业  农业  教育  卫生  药品  县委  消防  城建  城管  稽查    统计  审计  招商  劳动  安监  质监  监狱  驻村  体育  物价    旅游  文化 | 区委  办公室  派出所  开发区

【社会机构】
  共青团  房产  银行  矿务  工会  通信  电信  邮政  公司  石油   燃气  广电  学校  酒店  工厂  社区  保险  外贸  烟草  医院    民营  幼儿  敬老  物业  信用社  大学  党建  慰问贺电  事迹材料  反腐倡廉  党会发言  政府政务  分析材料  党委党建   经济工作  民主生活  八荣八耻  百姓关注  和谐社会  先进性教育  入党  思想汇报  入党自传  转正申请  党团辅导  秘书  转正申请书  招聘面试  辞退移交  绩效考核    工作计划  调查报告  企业文化  广告语  邀请函  请假条  通知书  文书  管理  加班与考勤  员工管理  员工培训  规章制度  述职报告  调研报告  工作汇报  开题报告  辞职报告  实践报告  其它报告  自我鉴定  实习报告  申请报告  研究报告  职业规划  党政报告  报告  规划

【写作模板】
  感谢信  公开信  记叙文  议论文  说明文  应用文  文学欣赏  诗歌    散文  小说  杂文  情感  高考必看

【节 日】
  三八妇女节  六一儿童节  其他节日  八一双拥  七一党建  教师节  国庆节  元宵节  中秋节  父亲节  情人节  圣诞节  愚人节  清明节

【书 信】
  检讨书  保证书  感谢信  倡导书  表扬信  手抄报  情书  短信  借条

【简 历】
  个人简历  自我评价  面试技巧  名人简历  自我介绍  简历封面  英文简历  求职信  自荐书

【体会心得】
  心得体会  思想学习  经验材料  事迹体会  工作体会  工作汇报  考试体会  读后感  观后感

【各类公文】
  规则方案  常用公文  技巧经验  合同范本  企划方案  申报材料  法律文书

【论 文】
  论文格式  计算机  社会学  英语  会计  建筑  化学  旅游  艺术    医科  农科  工学  理工  文科  企业  经济  法律

【其 它】
  作文  雅思作文  科幻作文  写景作文  写物作文  抒情作文  写人作文    想象作文  英语作文  小学作文  作业指导  作文写作  高中作文  初中作文

【各科教案】
  小学英语  小学语文  小学数学  初中语文  初中英语  初中数学  高中语文  高中数学  高中英语  幼儿园教案  大学英语  教育教学

【评 语】
  作文评语  学生评语  工作评语  论文评语  班主任评语

I had no idea!!

I have smoked since I was 13 I am 28 and I gave it up for good for my condition,and for my lil boy...I smoked a pack a day ,it was real hard and I feel so much better.

I smoke and I hate that I smoke. We all know the cons but my Consultant told me I HAVE to give up, promised him I would and i must have given up the fags every Monday for months now, back on them again by the Thursday. Why does it make CD worse?
Dreading seeing the Consultant on Tues and not being off the fags. Tomorrow is Monday so Ill throw them in the bin again.

I smoked as a teenager, quit...then started up again when I was 21. I had a very stressful job, and it helped calm me down(also helped me to void my bowels more completely before work). I really want to quit, but it's hard. I actually enjoy it too. But I know it's not good for people with digestive problems, so I will eventually give it up. I will say one thing, Marlboro has done more for me than any other company on earth. I've won a lot of prizes from their contests which I subsequently sold to pay for medical treatment. They even sent me and a guest on an all-expense-paid trip to their ranch in Montana(plus a check for $750), just to say thanks for being a customer. So it's not like my patronage hasn't been appreciated. :p

Yep I have smoked for 16 years. I quit in Dec last year, but then started up again a couple of months later. Like a PP said, I enjoy smoking. (most of the time!)

I do. Sadly. Hate it too. I quit during both my pregnancies but went back as soon as they stopped breast feeding. And I was back serving table, and everyone at my old job smoked....
Now, I pay the price so it seems.
I quit for a week after getting diagnosed with CD. Then went back. UGH.
It's hard. But it's my goal before the end of this month!
Wish me luck

I have smoked for many year and quit for about 4 months before I started getting sick and started up again when all the pain started. Then i was diagnosed with Chrohns and the the doctor said that for the time being smoking was the least of 2 evel at the time and didnt tell me to quit. 2 years later, i am still smoking. I smoke about 3-5 cigs a day and as bad as it sounds, dont see myself quitting any time soon. it keeps me sane.
It has not affected me in any way since, in fact, i beleive its helping me. I go between having D and constipation and having a cig helps me.

I have smoked for many year and quit for about 4 months before I started getting sick and started up again when all the pain started. Then i was diagnosed with Chrohns and the the doctor said that for the time being smoking was the least of 2 evel at the time and didnt tell me to quit. 2 years later, i am still smoking. I smoke about 3-5 cigs a day and as bad as it sounds, dont see myself quitting any time soon. it keeps me sane.
It has not affected me in any way since, in fact, i beleive its helping me. I go between having D and constipation and having a cig helps me.
3-5 cigs a day is not bad at all! well, YKWIM LOL I smoke about a half pack to a pack every day. I do wish I could call up the dr that told me at 18 years old that if I kept smoking I would be on oxygen by the time I was 30 because I am turning 30 in about 3 weeks and there are no oxygen tanks in sight! Kind of want to tell him "Neener neener neener you were wrong!" LOL

My daughter was smoking off and on since her late teenage years. she was just diagnosed in Feb. when she started getting sick in mid to late January she said smoking cigarettes were making her feel sicker; so she stopped and she's happy that she did. The doctor told her the smoking is one out of 3 reasons they think people get crohns. Hereditary; smoking and being Jewish! so that was all the more reason for her never to go back to cigarettes! thank God

I have smoked cigarettes since I was 16, and my sister, who is 3 years older than me, has never even tried a cigarette. We both have Crohn's so it is definitely hereditry - in the gene's.

In the jeans too at times with this disease!:poo:

So I would say that smoking is definitely not a cause of Crohn's but, and it's a big BUT! My sister has been Crohn's free for the past 10 years whereas I have had a further operation...and are still not well.

Can't pack in the cigarettes though...enjoy it too much!

I smoked a little between 16-25 , not daily just when out drinking with friends.
Kinda quit it when i got the crohns diagnosis (advise from my GI)
With Crohns and Asthma really not the best idea to continue :)