01-31-2018, 05:47 PM   #1
manderr0402

Rv fistula

Hi Iím new to the forum and I was wondering if anyone could tell me if theyíve had any sort of fistula associated with their UC or crohns? I am in such panic that I have a Rectovaginal fistula because gas came out of my front today. I know thatís the telltale symptom of an rv fistula. Can anyone shed any light on this scary possible diagnosis?
01-31-2018, 06:39 PM   #2
Sharkgirl

My Support Groups:
Hi Iím new to the forum and I was wondering if anyone could tell me if theyíve had any sort of fistula associated with their UC or crohns? I am in such panic that I have a Rectovaginal fistula because gas came out of my front today. I know thatís the telltale symptom of an rv fistula. Can anyone shed any light on this scary possible diagnosis?

Hi there and welcome to the forum! I have a rectovaginal fistula and have had it for quite some time. I first noticed it because I started having an abnormal vaginal discharge, which turned out to be stool. I also passed gas in that area as well, but it is mostly the leaking. I know it is gross and uncomfortable but donít worry, if that is what you have you are most definitely not alone. What medication are you on?

With God nothing shall be impossible
01-31-2018, 07:06 PM   #3
Lisa
Adminstrator

My Support Groups:
The development of fistulas is more common with Crohn's Disease vs. UC. It is a sign of disease being active.

Some people do require intervention with their fistulae, others (like myself) had no other intervention aside from routine visits to a colorectal surgeon to keep an eye on things until I was put on Remicade, which healed the fistulas with no surgical intervention.

I've been on Remicade for over 12 years now with no issues from the fistulas I had..... They closed up with the remicade.

30 plus years and counting with UC/Crohn's!
on remicade since 11/05

While my experiences may not be what everyone has had- I feel it is worthwhile to share any and all experiences that may be beneficial to others.
01-31-2018, 07:34 PM   #4
manderr0402

Iím currently on Apriso and prednisone which have put me in remission. The only symptom Iím having is occasional vaginal gas which seems odorless to me. Iím hoping I can just go on Remicade or humira to try and heal it before surgery because itís really not causing me any problems. Iím just a nervous wreck
01-31-2018, 08:04 PM   #5
Sharkgirl

My Support Groups:
Remicade is what I was on when mine closed, so hopefully that will work for you! I got of Remicade after a few years because I was having other issues and now Iím on Cimzia but unfortunately the fistula is back. I am hoping to get approved for Stelara very soon. Iíve met other people who had rectovaginal fistulas and Remicade closed theirs too. Try not to be nervous even though I know it is hard. There is always hope!

01-31-2018, 08:50 PM   #6
manderr0402

Thank you for your kind words. Iím a big worrier. I just donít want it to turn into anything life threatening, otherwise I can handle it.
01-31-2018, 08:55 PM   #7
manderr0402

Also how did they diagnose you?
02-01-2018, 04:31 PM   #8
Sharkgirl

My Support Groups:
I completely understand because Iím a worrier at times too. Iíve had my RV fistula for about 3 years this time and it hasnít caused any issues other than discomfort because of the leakage, itís pretty gross! Lol. I was actually diagnosed 14 years ago because I started having bloody stools and also developed hemorrhoids. It was easily controlled with Pentasa but about six years ago it spiraled out of control so I had to start biologics.

02-01-2018, 04:31 PM   #9
Sharkgirl

My Support Groups:
I completely understand because Iím a worrier at times too. Iíve had my RV fistula for about 3 years this time and it hasnít caused any issues other than discomfort because of the leakage, itís pretty gross! Lol. I was actually diagnosed 14 years ago because I started having bloody stools and also developed hemorrhoids. It was easily controlled with Pentasa but about six years ago it spiraled out of control so I had to start biologics.

I was diagnosed by a colonoscopy and blood tests.

02-01-2018, 05:33 PM   #10
manderr0402

Sorry I should have been clearer, how was your fistula diagnosed? I see the doctor in 3 days and they were already thinking of putting me on Humira so Iím hoping they stick with that decision and this heals. Fortunately thereís no stool leaking from me so I donít deal with the gross aspect
02-02-2018, 06:18 AM   #11
ivan.fiedoruk

I have an active fistula. It went out by my belly button, as it was one of the points of my Laparotomy. In fact it isn't so bad... I was in pain before started draining.
Prednisone 40 mg 1/morning
Mesalazine 3 morning, 2 night
Clonazepam 1/night

Soon: Remicade.
03-03-2018, 10:31 AM   #12
Sharkgirl

My Support Groups:
My rv fistula was diagnosed by the leakage and I saw a colorectal surgeon who performed an exam and was able to see it. My OB/GYN was able to see it as well when I had a pelvic exam.