Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Fistulas, Fissures and Abscesses » Do people without IBD ever develop perianal fistula?

05-12-2018, 11:54 AM   #1
Ebru

My Support Groups:
Do people without IBD ever develop perianal fistula?

Hello people,

I know no one in my personal life who ever got a perianal disease like abscess or fistula. Not family members (who would trust me with such things!) or close friends, guys in a relationship. Basically, I never heard of it until I got one myself and the first thing my GP said when she saw the small hole was "I think you have a bowel disease."

When I went to the GP with the abscess, now almost a year ago, the GP was kinda panicking when she saw it. She was really acting like it was a true emergency. I was kinda surprised about that.

Are fistulas rare in general, and especially in the non-IBD population? Just curious!
05-12-2018, 12:20 PM   #2
Womble

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Anal-fistula/

Hope this helps
05-12-2018, 12:35 PM   #3
Ebru

My Support Groups:
Thank you. I have one question though. I have heard that people with Crohn's usually don't get the treatment the NHS described because of their immune problems. It's more likely they would just get treated with steroids. Am I right in this assumption?
05-12-2018, 01:36 PM   #4
Womble

No. Surgery, setons, steroids, biologicals and sometimes stoma. My friend recently had a stoma as she was fed up with treatments and reactions and she’s doing really wel.
05-12-2018, 01:40 PM   #5
Ebru

My Support Groups:
No. Surgery, setons, steroids, biologicals and sometimes stoma. My friend recently had a stoma as she was fed up with treatments and reactions and she’s doing really wel.
Is the stoma mostly temporary?
05-12-2018, 02:26 PM   #6
Womble

I think it really depends. Hers is, but she is more than happy to keep it.
05-12-2018, 06:14 PM   #7
Lynda Lynda

Thank you for sharing that website.

I had an anal fistulectomy in 1992. ( cutting open the whole length of the fistula.)

Fistula story ...
I had come home from a vacation and had been in pain in the anal area for 2 days.
Once I returned home I took a look with a mirror. I saw what looked like a blister.
I actually popped it open and smelly liquid came out.
I actually had the fistula for a year before I went to the doctor ( how stupid of me. )
My fistula was draining for a whole year and I wore panty-shields every day.
05-12-2018, 09:34 PM   #8
cmack
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Thank you for sharing that website.

I had an anal fistulectomy in 1992. ( cutting open the whole length of the fistula.)

Fistula story ...
I had come home from a vacation and had been in pain in the anal area for 2 days.
Once I returned home I took a look with a mirror. I saw what looked like a blister.
I actually popped it open and smelly liquid came out.
I actually had the fistula for a year before I went to the doctor ( how stupid of me. )
My fistula was draining for a whole year and I wore panty-shields every day.

I had never heard of them either until I was diagnosed with one, and then I looked it up, so don't feel bad. Now I sure know enough about them though, not fun.
09-05-2018, 07:01 PM   #9
Rukaya89

My Support Groups:
Hey Ebru, I'm struggling with fistulas and abscesses since 2010 - although, it has been better than before but they never healed and a new flare-up is dreadful and very painful. I hope you're doing better now. I noticed that your name is Turkish, this is random but I've been living in Istanbul for a couple of years now, not sure if you live in Turkey or not but if you do, would you recommend certain gastros? I havent seen a doctor there for my Crohn's, I wait until I visit home to see my doctor.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Fistulas, Fissures and Abscesses » Do people without IBD ever develop perianal fistula?