Crohn's Disease Forum » Tests for IBD » Upper endescopy

06-19-2018, 03:43 PM   #1
Louise245

Upper endescopy

I am in the process of getting diagnosed. My stool test was 300 and my colonoscopy came back with mild inflamination and no Crohn's or uc in bowel. However I think my symptoms are mainly in the stomach and due to have upper endescopy next week. I am very nervous and don't like the idea of deep sedation, however they said I could have something lighter. My stomach is inflamed and any advice would be appreciated.
06-19-2018, 04:12 PM   #2
Vfc28

My Support Groups:
I am in the process of getting diagnosed. My stool test was 300 and my colonoscopy came back with mild inflamination and no Crohn's or uc in bowel. However I think my symptoms are mainly in the stomach and due to have upper endescopy next week. I am very nervous and don't like the idea of deep sedation, however they said I could have something lighter. My stomach is inflamed and any advice would be appreciated.

Hi. I had a sedative and I was also very nervous. The sedative was fine and it really was over quite quickly. I ended up being diagnosed with microscopic colitis which isn't visible to the eye. Hope all goes well for you.
06-19-2018, 04:20 PM   #3
Sophabulous

My Support Groups:
Iíve had this done both with and without sedation and the second time I barely remembered anything. I have more sedation and pain relief for a colonoscopy but I always find those painful and remember it all regardless. The upper scopes arenít painful without sedation (although a little belchy lol) and with sedation it was a breeze compared to a colonoscopy. Thereís no prep to worry about and itís over much quicker. Youíve done the really difficult part (in my experience anyway) so try not to worry. If it helps my disease is located in my duodenum and terminal ileum.

Let us know how it goes!

Currently taking Azathioprine 100mg, Esomeprazole 40mg, B12 Injections and various supplements. Azathioprine failing so awaiting next steps
06-19-2018, 05:30 PM   #4
Trysha
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Itís usually a light anesthetic for upper endoscopy and not so hard to take as the colonoscopy.
I have a recurring duodenal ulcer and so when itís time for colonoscopy the upper endoscopy is done at the same time...ie one after the other.
Sedation is effective and recovery very swift.
Itís natural to feel nervous the first time but I think you will breeze through it and maybe not remember it.
Feel better soon
Hugs
Trysha
06-20-2018, 11:46 PM   #5
Lynda Lynda

Louise : I always have an endoscopy and colonoscopy done at the same time. Fully sedated. Never had any pain or complications. I have Crohn's, my terminal ileum is inflamed and I have a stricture. I also have gastritis. And acid reflux.
Take Care and Keep In Touch.
06-25-2018, 03:19 PM   #6
Louise245

Iíve had this done both with and without sedation and the second time I barely remembered anything. I have more sedation and pain relief for a colonoscopy but I always find those painful and remember it all regardless. The upper scopes arenít painful without sedation (although a little belchy lol) and with sedation it was a breeze compared to a colonoscopy. Thereís no prep to worry about and itís over much quicker. Youíve done the really difficult part (in my experience anyway) so try not to worry. If it helps my disease is located in my duodenum and terminal ileum.

Let us know how it goes!
Does it hurt if you are inflamed in the duodenum? I have it tomorrow morning and am extremely nervous!!!!
06-25-2018, 03:21 PM   #7
Sophabulous

My Support Groups:
Does it hurt if you are inflamed in the duodenum? I have it tomorrow morning and am extremely nervous!!!!

Donít worry, honestly it didnít! The one I had without sedation I could feel pressure but definitely not pain. The second time with sedation I donít remember a thing. If youíve already had a colonoscopy I think youíll fly through this.

Good luck!

06-25-2018, 03:25 PM   #8
Vfc28

My Support Groups:

Louise245 please do not worry. I had both endoscopy and colonoscopy and was so nervous. But the sedation relaxes you and stops the nerves. Let me know how it goes. Lots of love. You'll be fine xxx
06-27-2018, 12:51 PM   #9
Louise245

Had it yesterday, it was ok. Just glad it is over. There was a bit of inflamation due to heartburn but no scarring or signs of a disease. It is reassuring but still finding it hard to get diagnosis. I am hoping biopsy results might show something.
06-28-2018, 04:04 PM   #10
Vfc28

My Support Groups:
Had it yesterday, it was ok. Just glad it is over. There was a bit of inflamation due to heartburn but no scarring or signs of a disease. It is reassuring but still finding it hard to get diagnosis. I am hoping biopsy results might show something.

Hi so happy you got through it ok. Well done! Dr saw nothing when I had my colonoscopy but biopsy showed microscopic colitis, so hopefully you'll get to the bottom of things soon. Take care
Vic

Crohn's Disease Forum » Tests for IBD » Upper endescopy