Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Ostomy - what made you decide to take that step ?

03-30-2019, 11:31 AM   #1
s.a.m.

Ostomy - what made you decide to take that step ?

I'm looking for advice. I've been on Remicade for 10 yrs. I have multiple fistula. I was hospitalized 2 months ago for abscesses, increased my Remicade and the abscesses are back 2 months later. I'm not sure what to do next as the surgeon previously stated my fistula are complex and I've already had a few surgeries to try to fix them. Any thoughts from someone who might have had a similar situation. Thank you.
03-30-2019, 03:50 PM   #2
Jeff D.

For me it was because I had so much scar tissue in my rectum that I would need to go to the doctor once a month to balloon open the area. It got frustrating and I figured a stoma couldn't be worse. Nearly ten years later I'm much happier now that I've gone with the ostomy. It's given me my life back and I'm in much better health. I sometimes with I never needed it but I'm perfectly happy to have it.
03-31-2019, 11:23 AM   #3
Bufford

My Support Groups:
I had little choice as I had a life threatening abscess at the time. I also had a lot of scar tissue in my rectal area after a long history of abscesses. I took early retirement, and 19 years later I still have a stoma and would not want to try to go back. My biggest concern is rectal cancer, and as time goes on I may have to go for a full proctectomy, having my rectum removed
04-12-2019, 01:30 PM   #4
s.a.m.

Thank you for sharing. I had an ultrasound that showed thickening (? not sure if that's the right term) of the rectum. I have an MRI next month.

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Ostomy - what made you decide to take that step ?