• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Resting heart rate

I use a fitbit which tracks my heart rate throughout the day. When I sleep at night and my heart rate goes down to it's lowest level, it measures that level and gives an updated resting heart rate figure every day.

I have noticed that when I am flaring, or have any other type of illness such as a cold, my resting heart rate raises by about 10bpm.

I read one study mentioning that it can be used as a non specific marker of inflammation.

There seems to be scant other evidence about it on the internet. Most sources say that a lower resting heart rate is a good indicator of athletic fitness, but I am more interested in how transient rises could be a marker of inflammation.

Has anyone else experienced this? Or can anyone else find information in studies that they can share?

An interesting thread. You mentioned that you track it using a fitbit as well. How does the graph of your RHR vary over time?

Mine is about 50-55 at it's lowest, but peaks to about 70 when I'm flaring.

An interesting thread. You mentioned that you track it using a fitbit as well. How does the graph of your RHR vary over time?

Mine is about 50-55 at it's lowest, but peaks to about 70 when I'm flaring.

That’s a good question, let me have a look through and get some screen shots from now vs this time last year when flaring. Leave it with me!

This is my chart over the last 3 months. The peak at the start of august is when a flare put me in hospital for 3 days.
As you can see it has spiked today which is what led me to make this post.
Coincidentally my D today is the worst it has been for months.

Attachments

A rise in heart rate is absolutely normal if you have infection, a virus and inflammation. I wouldn’t worry unless it was going over 100bpm whilst at rest.
Is it something that is concerning you?

Ps, I work in cardiology.

It is not worrying me. I am more interested in using it as an indicator to track how badly I'm flaring or how well I'm in remission.

It's a non invasive test that I can easily do at home and track over time. Although arguably it's quite non-specific.

My treatment is being stepped up so soon I will hopefully get better and be able to track it on it's way down.

Yeah it’s a little bit non specific lol. As long as during the day your heart rate stays between 60-100 then that’s perfect.
I am interested to know if anyone experiences rates over 100 during a flare and wether it’s stays like that for the duration or if it’s just at the peak. Hmmmm...

When I went in for my last remicade infusion and they were checking all my vitals, my resting rate was about 62 beats per minute. I should mention though, I run quite frequently.

Interested in this thread...

I'm currently doing an event monitor for a cardiologist because I've noticed I have a much higher resting heart rate (80 bpm) than my healthy boyfriend (60 bpm). We're of equivalent fitness level. I also noticed I have unexplained big increases in heart rate (up to 100 bpm?) pretty regularly and that it generally stays elevated when I'm standing for an extended period. My stamina while standing is generally lower than other people. I have a hard time lifting my hands above my head a lot of the time and feel faint if I stretch when yawning.

The cardiologist I saw was dismissive and said I'm probably just dehydrated all the time, which his probably true, but I feel like something else is wrong... I'm hoping he'll do a tilt test after this event monitor to see whether I have POTS or some other dysautonomia.

I haven't noticed any distinct connection to inflammation, but I'll keep an eye out for it.
@Daisy26, since you work in cardio, any thoughts?

Maya142

Staff member
My daughter has sinus tachycardia. She has been seeing a cardiologist for years and has had many Holter monitor studies done. In her case, her cardiologist concluded that her high heart rate was due to the stress of the diseases she has (she has relatively mild Crohn's, but severe Ankylosing Spondylitis) and due to pain.

Her heart rate is around 90-110 when things are good. It will even go up to 120 sometimes - her Crohn's is in remission, and her AS is better controlled than it's been in years, but her heart rate is still that high.

However, when things were bad and her AS was really flaring, it would go up to 140 bpm, so we do know that it is related to disease activity and the pain that comes with that.

Another update. I posted a chart at the start of september when I was flaring.
I then started Anti-MAP antibiotics and infliximab and you can see the massive drop in resting heart rate afterwards at the start of october.
It seems to be going up very slightly for the last week but I am putting that down to a cold which I have at the moment.
I do feel like it provides a good indicator to my overall health but it is non specific towards exactly what is wrong, for me it is usually a cold/flu or Crohn's flare that makes it rise.
You do also need to measure it daily with a fitness tracker and watch the graph to get the benefit of the increased level of detail. Measuring it intermittently gives you less information.

Attachments