• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What's your favorite snack? Looking for input

Vote for a favorite snack!

• Total voters
Hey everyone,

Thanks so much for all the great info you’re shared here. My boyfriend was diagnosed 5 years ago and was struggling to find healthy, safe snacks to have on the road with him or at the office.

I love to cook and, during his most recent flare, started testing out some of the recipes I’ve found on this forum. He tolerates them so well that his symptoms have improved!!

I’m thinking of working with my local test kitchen to make a large batch, and want to get your input on which one to create!

Which sounds most yummy to you? Would love your input!

1. Baked Banana Chips (thx to AvsGuitarist); Gluten Free, Dairy Free
2. Oatmeal Peanut Butter Cookies (thx MayFlower537); Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, High-Protein
3. Lentil, Brown Rice Crackers (thx partlycloudy); Gluten-Free Dairy-Free, High-Protein, Savory Crisps

Please leave a reply and let me know! And/OR share your favorite portable snack recipe!

Attachments

Hmmmmmmm.............................
It's a hard one.

Bananas, well everyone has those so it would be easy to make.
Cookies, just calling it a cookie makes you want it.
Crackers look so good and are a great snack and of course you could make it with so many different dips.

OK, in our house the crackers would do the best because as we all know it's harder to find good and yummy cracker.

Hope that review helps.:)

maria

I love you God.
Potato Chips and cottage cheese:) dried fruit/grains hurts me. My doctor told me if im not feeling good eat chips. I thought it was weird! He said it will help with my dehydration. . To my surprise they actually make me feel better..

@Maria, I do the same thing with chips when my belly is on the fritz. They're easy to digest and the little bit of salt and other minerals help keep me hydrated. So my vote is for lentil brown rice crackers bc I'm a savory girl.

Otherwise the oatmeal peanut butter cookies look sos good omgg

Wow!! They all look amazing!! The banana chips would be my choice.
My most favorite snacks would be almond flour cookies or muffins when on the SCD. Or raw honey and nut butter with apples (no skins).

Beautiful photos!! Thank you ;)

DJW

Forum Monitor
I've not tried any of these things. But the oatmeal cookies look gooood!!

Thanks so much for this post! I am trying to come up with snack foods for my cousin and these are great ideas. My vote is for the cookies, but the lentil and brown rice crackers seem yummy too.

I am actually starting to enjoy the taste of my Ensure Plus drinks.
Lol - I don't mind them either! Though there are other brands of supplements I can't stand.

1. Baked Banana Chips (thx to AvsGuitarist); Gluten Free, Dairy Free
2. Oatmeal Peanut Butter Cookies (thx MayFlower537); Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, High-Protein
3. Lentil, Brown Rice Crackers (thx partlycloudy); Gluten-Free Dairy-Free, High-Protein, Savory Crisps

Lentils are not good for my digestion at all, and I'm not sure the bananas in that form would be - raw bananas are fine, but what do you bake them in? (Sorry if that's a stupid question! I think chips means something different in the US to the UK). So I'd probably go for the Oatmeal peanut butter cookies, though they sound like they'd be awfully filling, and I have absolutely no appetite. :(

My diet is strictly low-fibre (nothing that can block my stoma), and I'm trying to gain weight so I'm looking for high-calorie foods. My main snack right now is plain digestive biscuits! Very plain and easy to digest, which is what I need. Very easy to prepare too, just open a packet ;) though I'm sure you could bake your own and maybe experiment with adding different flavours and things.

Another good snack if you can't have raw vegetables - avocados with egg mayonnaise. (Obvious no baking with this one!). Cut an avocado in half, take the stone out and fill the middle with egg mayonnaise. Wrap it in clingfilm if you're not eating it right away, and if it's going to be a long time before it's going to be eaten, putting it in a coolbox will keep it nicest, otherwise it may start to go a bit brown - it will still taste ok, but doesn't look so nice! Avocados are really east to digest, unlike other raw vegetables, and very very healthy too.

Bloke- I've heard that Ensure can be a gd liquid meal replacement...maybe i should make a shake that's as nutritious but tastes better! What flavors do you like?

UuXmas- Thanks for your ideas!
Lentils and all beans probably aren't a good idea unless they're pureed after cooking for a long time.

The banana "chips" aren't fried just lightly baked which essentially dehydrates them so that they last longer and are more easily transportable.

Which brand of digestive biscuits do you have? They don't have fiber in them?

Avocado with egg mayonnaise sounds like a very healthy, high protein snack! As long as one doesn't overdo the mayonnaise. I bet you could also mash it up and use it as a spread!

Lentils are not good for my digestion at all, and I'm not sure the bananas in that form would be - raw bananas are fine, but what do you bake them in? (Sorry if that's a stupid question! I think chips means something different in the US to the UK). So I'd probably go for the Oatmeal peanut butter cookies, though they sound like they'd be awfully filling, and I have absolutely no appetite. :(

My diet is strictly low-fibre (nothing that can block my stoma), and I'm trying to gain weight so I'm looking for high-calorie foods. My main snack right now is plain digestive biscuits! Very plain and easy to digest, which is what I need. Very easy to prepare too, just open a packet ;) though I'm sure you could bake your own and maybe experiment with adding different flavours and things.

Another good snack if you can't have raw vegetables - avocados with egg mayonnaise. (Obvious no baking with this one!). Cut an avocado in half, take the stone out and fill the middle with egg mayonnaise. Wrap it in clingfilm if you're not eating it right away, and if it's going to be a long time before it's going to be eaten, putting it in a coolbox will keep it nicest, otherwise it may start to go a bit brown - it will still taste ok, but doesn't look so nice! Avocados are really east to digest, unlike other raw vegetables, and very very healthy too.

Which brand of digestive biscuits do you have? They don't have fiber in them?
I have cheap Tesco digestives at the moment. The packet says 3.5g of fibre per 100g, so not that high. It seems to be the right kind of fibre anyway, because they're not giving me any problems. I was having McVities before and no problems with those, either.

Wow cool I don't feel so bad munching on some chips then ;) cose that's my down fall but I might have to cut it out I put on 2.5 kg since I started on the predisone at start if July

Bloke- I've heard that Ensure can be a gd liquid meal replacement...maybe i should make a shake that's as nutritious but tastes better! What flavors do you like?
Hi, I prefer strawberry, chocolate and coffee. Interested to see what you can come up with.

I've been wondering why they can't make Ensure taste really good. I've been drinking Costa Coffee's creamy coolers lately, and when we checked online, a small one, if made with full-fat milk, was about twice the calorie content of an Ensure. And then I added whipped cream on as well. If it weren't for the price, I'd substitute creamy coolers for Ensures more often! Why can't Ensure taste that good? You wouldn't have thought it would be hard to make a really good tasting, high-calorie shake!

I lived on Ensure vanilla for about 6 weeks. My gastro wouldn't let me in eat anything for fear of my bowel rupturing, such was the state of it at that time. I was 32kg! :ywow:

Hi bloke, I am currently at 53kg, which is fine for my 150cm height and comfort level. It would be hard for me to determine what my natural weight should be given all the prednisone yo-yo-ing over the yrs. I was at 63kg back in 2010.

It's also best to very slowly sip any protein shakes. :thumright:

Nice to hear you have got your weight back up. I'm still pushing to try and get another 5-10kg on.
My shakes are normally downed in one, sort of shot style but on a larger scale. What is the advantage of the 'slow slip'?
Also, on a different note, I love the name of your home town.

I slowly sip my Ensures and Fortisips. I do so to try and trick myself into feeling less full. One little sip can't fill me up, then a minute later another little sip... not sure if it works, I'm often still full by the time I've finished, but it's less daunting than downing it, then realising too late that it was too much.

Mini rice cakes, they come in a lot of flavors and are low fiber. Homemade juices, crackers - crunch is important on a low fiber diet.

Homemade kale crisps:

1 bunch of kale or cavolo kale (650g) - stalks removed
1 tablespoon olive oil
Pinch sea salt

Preheat oven to 200C.

Tear the kale roughly. Toss in oil and salt.

Lay on baking tray and cook for 5 - 10 minutes until crisp. Be careful not to burn or shrivel up too much

Cool and eat

The above recipe is from the book "I Quit Sugar - 108 Sugar-Free Recipes" by Sarah Wilson.

I also have another recipe that does not use oil and you make in a dehydrator.

Kale crisps may sound odd. But they are very very moreish :) a pretty healthy snack too.

If you cannot be bothered to make them, then just buy them: https://lovingearth.net

Popcorn, not microwave kind, cooked with coconut oil topped with lots of butter and some salt. Cheap and easy.

Not for the flared.

Easy snack for me is a hard boiled egg. Also string cheese is good. Oatmeal home made cookies are good also. I struggle with convince and what's healthy for me.