• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Right colectomy

Just had surgery yesterday and
I had my first bowel movement this afternoon. Is it normal to have a lot of blood in you stool? The nurses says that's normal. Just asking.

Trysha

Staff member
Same thing happened to me after right side colectomy......have to allow for healing time
takes a week or two for the blood to stop.
Hopefully you are still being supervised in the hospital
Feel better soon
Hugs
Trysha

Same thing happened to me after right side colectomy......have to allow for healing time
takes a week or two for the blood to stop.
Hopefully you are still being supervised in the hospital
Feel better soon
Hugs
Trysha
Well the pooling of blood has stopped now it is only clots. 3 days later Now it's a lot of gas. When did a formed bowel movement take place for you?

Well the pooling of blood has stopped now it is only clots. 3 days later Now it's a lot of gas. When did a formed bowel movement take place for you?

Trysha

Staff member
I think it was several weeks...did not work fast for me.....and even after things settled
It was a couple of months before it could be depended upon.
The right colon had cancerous changes as well as the large tumour so my recovery may differ a little from yours
Don’t be too anxious and be sure to talk to your docs about what’s happening,.

Well fast forward an additional 1 day hospital visit and 8 days later.... I had lost so much blood from the surgery i became anemic and had to have a blood transfusion. I did not find this out until the additional stay in the hospital.
Has anyone had this happen to them?

I didn't have the blood loss but did have some blood and clots for a while. It took 5-6 days for my bowels to really wake up and get moving again after surgery and other few weeks for things to become "normal again.

Hope you are doing okay now.

After the transfusion I was sent home . A week after that I started bleeding again. I had a side affect of the Lovenox (bleeding in the GI tract). It was stopped immediately. After spending 1 more night in the hospital for observation I was sent home again. After 1 week my hemoglobin went from 7.1 to 8.2 which was 2 weeks ago.
I am going again for testing this week. I am feeling alot better now.