• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Glasses

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
I guess I shouldn't whine. I had my yearly eye appointment yesterday and was told that I'm to be wearing glasses permanently now. I do have reading glasses that I started wearing at 18. And, knew regulars were coming.

Eventually bifocals are coming, but they're hoping to prolong them by doing this. But, still I'm crying and whining. :cry: I guess this what happens when one is fast becoming 40 this year...

Trysha

Staff member
I’ve had glasses since I was Ten years old and eventually progressed to bifocals...it’s possible to get the thin lenses .light weight ones which I have.
Was never allowed contacts due to repeated eye infections..
Don’t be upset...just go with the flow...there are some quite fashionable glasses these days
Hugs
Trysha

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Yup, I know what you mean. I think my sister started wearing glasses when she was 5 or 6. She always has had pretty bad vision, but got contacts as a teenager.

I was told contacts are a no go for me since I have dry eyes and iritis. So, glasses it is. Just gotta be a big girl and be good! :hug:

I had to start wearing glasses as a young teen, really hated them at the time but I think I'd just settled on glasses that didn't suit me and wore them as little as possible. It's really worth shopping around to find the right ones for you :)

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
My insurance won't pay for frames until next year 2019. So, I'm shopping around to see if I can get new lenses in one of my pairs of reading glasses I have now. Depending on the cost, worse comes to worse we might head to america's best where I could get 2 pairs for $70.

That way I'll get through a year or two when I end up with bifocals without paying an arm and a leg.

I know they’re more expensive but have you thought about progressive lenses when the time comes? I’m near sighted and have worn glasses since my 20s. When my reading vision started to go and I could no longer read something and then look up without taking my glasses on and off I switched to progressives. The lines between the different lenses are more natural. It took me a couple of weeks to get used to them (same as it would have with bifocals) but I love them.

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Yup. Progressives are what my husband has and what I plan to get eventually when it's my turn. Another thing I'm getting on top of it is darkening. I'd like the kind that's clear inside but, darkens outside and driving.

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Let's see. These are the things I'm planning to ask for so far.

My husband got scratch resistant coating, but it didn't do much for his because he still got scratches. He's a mechanic and has all kinds of things here at home, so worse comes to worse he could take some of them out for me.

-Anti-reflective
-Transitions (grey) the kind that are clear inside but darken for outside & driving

Maya142

Staff member
My husband has worn contacts even though he has had iritis many times in the past. As long as the iritis is not active, his doc said it was not a problem. His iritis hasn't been active in the last 5-6 years and he wears contacts without any issues at all.

Not sure about dry eyes though.

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Well...after being told that we might be able to get through until a year or two when I'd need bifocals it looks like I'm getting them now. Apparently the doctor prescribed me the bifocals anyway. So, we've been shopping and trying to find the best price.

However, even if we put new lenses into one of my old glasses it's pretty expensive! Ouch! I finally saw an advertisement though at one of the places online supposedly that you can get two full pair of glasses for $100. I have to check with them to make sure that's true though. Because most of the time the sale is just frames and not the lenses.

So, we'll keep you informed...

Have you tried Zenni optical? Or Clearly contacts? Or even Firmoo?

I get most of my glasses online, most recently at Zenni, my last pair of bifocals was around $58 US I think but you can get them cheaper. And that was with all the coatings and postage to NZ.

I've tried progressive lenses several times but I can't get used to them so I stick to bifocals. Those I just put on and drove away, completely forgetting I had new glasses! So nice to be able to read your speedo:ywow:

Instead of the colour changing depending on the light I get a few pairs of "clip on" dark lenses for a few $ as I am too impatient for the colour to change back again when you go inside or vice versa. The $58 mentioned above included 3 pairs of those so I can lose them or break them:D

Does anyone happen to know if Crohn's has an effect on your eysight? Mine has worsened rapidly the last few years from around +1 to now +4.75:sign0085:

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
I have looked, but I have a small face and am not sure about ordering online. I think the biggest concern is if they don't fit and I'm stuck with them. But, believe me $58 sounds wonderful in comparison to some of the prices I've seen!

Oh, and the place that advertised $100 for 2 pair ended up being a no. It's basically plastic frames and doesn't include anti-glare or darkening.

Layla, after my second major flare and hospitalization my eyesight I found my eyesight had really changed. My close vision had badly deteriorated and I developed double vision which I still have. The changes in my vision either coincided with or were caused by the crohn’s flare.

I have looked, but I have a small face and am not sure about ordering online. I think the biggest concern is if they don't fit and I'm stuck with them. But, believe me $58 sounds wonderful in comparison to some of the prices I've seen!

Oh, and the place that advertised $100 for 2 pair ended up being a no. It's basically plastic frames and doesn't include anti-glare or darkening.
Just try some frames on in a shop to figure out what style suits and write down the measurements that are on the inside of one of the legs. Use those measurements on the website so it only shows you frames that would fit. I haven't really gone terribly wrong yet but then I do have an easy face for glasses.

Layla, after my second major flare and hospitalization my eyesight I found my eyesight had really changed. My close vision had badly deteriorated and I developed double vision which I still have. The changes in my vision either coincided with or were caused by the crohn’s flare.
More or less the same happened to me, minus the double vision. I was thinking it may have something to do with being malnourished but I really must remember to ask my GI about this.

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Got contacts today and already lost one permanently. :ybatty: Those little buggers aren't easy to put in at first. Will see if there's any way we can tint them next time I talk to the doctor...

Oh no! I like the daily contacts. I don’t feel so bad if I lose or tear one. My eye Dr. said they are good too because you change them every day so less of a chance for an infection. I have to use eye drops since I get dry eyes too...try not to wear my contacts more than 12hrs in a day.

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Mine now are 2 week ones that supposedly you can wear for more than that if you take care of them properly. I think I found a trick as far as getting them in today. Hopefully things get easier as I keep putting them in and taking them out.

Yes, I got some eye drops that you can put in with your contacts too. And am hoping that'll help as well...

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
An update.

We decided to try monthly contacts. I'm still having trouble with those even though I've been using them for almost 3 months now. So, may finish the ones I've got along with the 2 week ones until I have my appointment next year. At that time, I may ask about something different. Pretty cool that transition contacts will be coming out early this next year! So, I plan on asking about trying those too!!!

Glad I waited on getting glasses! We decided to wait on the bifocals/progressives until next year too. Reason being, we expect my eyes may change a little sight wise and all before my next check up now that I've been wearing contacts permanently. So, I just bought some distance glasses last night and got the memorial day discount! I got them at zennioptical.com for $20.83 total with tint and anti-reflection.

So, this ought to be an interesting new experience for me!!!

cmack

Staff member
Good luck, Cross-stitch, I hope you grow to love them. It took me a while to embrace my glasses, (hated them in grade 10 because they weren't "cool"). Now I think my glasses are great because I like the new frameless style I have. I wear them when I'm not likely to damage them, and just wear contacts when I do a lot of metal working and mechanical stuff, or just otherwise rough stuff. So far 6-7 years and no scratches on this pair! I think I got my moneys worth. :)

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Good luck, Cross-stitch, I hope you grow to love them. It took me a while to embrace my glasses, (hated them in grade 10 because they weren't "cool"). Now I think my glasses are great because I like the new frameless style I have. I wear them when I'm not likely to damage them, and just wear contacts when I do a lot of metal working and mechanical stuff, or just otherwise rough stuff. So far 6-7 years and no scratches on this pair! I think I got my moneys worth. :)
Thanks!:) My reading glasses and these new ones are a little different so I can tell them apart. Reading ones are gold with full rim and new ones are silver with half rim. I kind of wanted some that I could dress up if I couldn't wear my contacts for some reason.

I don't mind glasses really because I've used them since I was 18. It's just getting used to putting them on after taking out my other eyes! It'll just take some time getting used to something different is all.

Lynda Lynda

Cross stitch : Will you be my personal shopper ! You sure know how to find as good price and I suck at shopping !
I started wearing glasses at 11 years old. My sister went from glasses to contacts. I just stayed with glasses. So funny for me to look at old photos of myself and see all the silly glasses frames. Now-a-days eyeglass frames are cool looking, I really like mine. I have prescription sunglasses too. So it gets pricey for 2 pairs of prescription eyeglasses with progressive bifocals.
Take Care. 🐥

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Lynda, I started looking around online at glasses when I first found out I couldn't fight not wearing regular glasses/contacts daily in January. But, never was terribly brave about actually putting an order in.

One of the guys at my husband's work actually uses this place and told my husband to have me try them. Said that he just uses them for his permanent reading glasses. I guess he orders them every 6 months or so because his break. But, he's VERY hard on his glasses and drops them all the time and such.

I'm not as hard on mine. But, we figure even if mine only last a year we'll get our money's worth. Most places have holiday deals online, I just lucked out on these glasses! This place is in CA so, when they're made the package should get to me pretty quickly. Here's the website. https://www.zennioptical.com

Yes, I buy from Zenni all the time. And they almost always have a special on or some frames discounted etc.

LyndaLynda, Just try a really cheap frame and see how you go!

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Well...my glasses arrived yesterday in the mail. They fit perfect and were the right size and everything! But...

They'd been made into distance permanent sunglasses!!! :sign0085:

So, I called zenni and they gave me all the info I needed to send them back for a refund. Only catch is that I'll get instore credit for a new pair. So, we're sending them back in the mail today and will wait for that credit so I can order a new pair. :ybatty: