• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Protopic 0.01 (tacrolimus)

Hey all!

So I'm an eczema sufferer, always have been since birth. I also have pretty bad acne rosacea, usually in the summer. I have in the past been prescribed protopic to use when my face flares up, as doctors won't prescribe steroids for facial use.

I think with the cold weather/central heating my face has flared up quite badly. The usual go to's didn't resolve this so I've started using protopic again today as my face has become REALLY uncomfortable. I only ever use it as a last resort.

I've just given it a quick google and it seems I shouldn't be using this with azathioprine?! I haven't noticed any problems other than the initial slight burning/heat when applied but that never lasts long anyway. I was prescribed this ointment before I was diagnosed with Crohn's and never had an issue. Does anyone know if there is an alternative that is safe to use? Going to the doctors on Tuesday anyway for something else but thought I would ask as I'm here!

I honestly thought azathioprine would reduce my ridiculous overdramatic skin too :(

my little penguin

Staff member
Do you see a dermatologist or Gp ?
The Roscea Ds was dx turned out to be
Two things
One a drug reaction
The other an auto inflammatory condition of sweets syndrome which is found in ibd patients

Might be worth. Seeing a dermo

Do you see a dermatologist or Gp ?

The Roscea Ds was dx turned out to be

Two things

One a drug reaction

The other an auto inflammatory condition of sweets syndrome which is found in ibd patients

Might be worth. Seeing a dermo

Thank you, this was a GP I've never seen a dermatologist. They used to give me long courses of oxytetracycline to reduce flares but I've been advised against that now I know about the Crohn's.

I've never heard of sweets syndrome, I'll look into that!

Thanks

I've had a quick look into sweets syndrome and it doesn't look like that's what I suffer from. Sweet's looks a lot worse actually so counting my lucky stars!!

my little penguin

Staff member
Sweets can be tiny red bumps
Hive like
Flat purple red lesions
The whole gamut
Ds doesn't look like what's online either
Very important to try to see a dermatologist

I often suffer from psoriasis or dermatitis and have been prescribed protopic by my dermatologist. I find it incredibly itchy, and it doesn't last long. So basically stopped using it. My skin conditions get worse if diet goes south. One thing i've found (after years of searching) that works pretty well is apple cider vinegar on the face. I guess it kills of some of the bacteria/microbiome that seems to cause the flaking. I can wipe it on up to several times a day, and the dermatitis usually goes down.