• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Abscess and fever

I had an abscess one and every evening I'd get fever and joint pain. This would last the whole night with severe sweating. I had to get up every 4 hours for a new dosis Ibuprofen. The thing is, in the morning and during the day my temperature would return to normal and the fever would be gone. How is this possible?

cmack

Staff member
I have always chalked it up to being more full of energy during the day. Nights are the worst when I'm ill too. I also hope you feel better soon. You really shouldn't be taking ibuprofen, does the doctor know? NSAID drugs cause people with bowel disease more trouble, bleeding etc. Tylenol is way safer if it happens to work for you.

I have always chalked it up to being more full of energy during the day. Nights are the worst when I'm ill too. I also hope you feel better soon. You really shouldn't be taking ibuprofen, does the doctor know? NSAID drugs cause people with bowel disease more trouble, bleeding etc. Tylenol is way safer if it happens to work for you.
Yeah, that could be an explanation! Currently, I don't have an abscess, that's now almost a year ago :p.

I don't have an official diagnosis (yet) but indeed, I should watch out with NSAID drugs anyway... Is Tylenol without prescription?

cmack

Staff member
Yes, it is without prescription. The regular store brand acetaminophen is the same as tylenol too. It just happens to be generic and a couple bucks cheaper. If you need anything stronger they can write a prescription for tylenol with codeine, or with other painkillers added to it as well.

Yes, it is without prescription. The regular store brand acetaminophen is the same as tylenol too. It just happens to be generic and a couple bucks cheaper. If you need anything stronger they can write a prescription for tylenol with codeine, or with other painkillers added to it as well.
Unfortunately, I can't buy it as it's not available where I live.

I'm sorry to hear that. It is also known as Paracetamol if that helps at all. How are you doing?
Paracetamol doesn't work for me :(

Currently, I'm doing fine. The fistula is sometimes leaking and annoying and I had night sweats this week but absolutely zero abdominal pain and loose stools. I have pain in my joints though.

I lost my internship a week ago but I got exploited there anyway and I now applied for one that pays internships so I hope I get it!

And how are you doing?

:D

cmack

Staff member
Hi Ebru,

I'm actually pretty good at the moment, maybe a little busy but that's okay, I like to be as active as I can. I'm glad to hear you are away from the exploitation. Good luck with the new internship, I hope you are accepted. :)

Be sure to get checked out by the doctor if the sweats keep up, or if you experience abnormal fatigue, or.... if there is an increase in pain in the fistula area. These could be signs of infection. I wouldn't want you to have any more trouble. I hope you heal soon.

Best wishes,

Chris

Hi Ebru,

I'm actually pretty good at the moment, maybe a little busy but that's okay, I like to be as active as I can. I'm glad to hear you are away from the exploitation. Good luck with the new internship, I hope you are accepted. :)

Be sure to get checked out by the doctor if the sweats keep up, or if you experience abnormal fatigue, or.... if there is an increase in pain in the fistula area. These could be signs of infection. I wouldn't want you to have any more trouble. I hope you heal soon.

Best wishes,

Chris
Hello!

Good to hear that! And great to hear that you're still as active as you can. Yeah, true. I got nothing in return for all the work that I did, not even help. He didn't want to explain anything for me, I just had to look it up on YouTube. At some point he even told me that he hated trainees, "but they are free so I just hire them anyway."

The fevers/night sweats have disappared and the fistula stopped leaking. Thank you, I hope for the same but I feel like the doctors are very dismissing. :(

With regards!