• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Marijuana and Imuran

Hi All,

just wondering if anyone uses medical marijuana in conjunction with imuran? I am in Australia and currently self medicate with Mary jane (its not legal here) but i find it the most effective treatment I have used. (been on pred now for 4 months) (was only Dxd with suspected CC in Sept 2012). Anyway, I'm just wanting to know if anybody has been on Imuran and still used cannabis?

Hi All,

just wondering if anyone uses medical marijuana in conjunction with imuran? I am in Australia and currently self medicate with Mary jane (its not legal here) but i find it the most effective treatment I have used. (been on pred now for 4 months) (was only Dxd with suspected CC in Sept 2012). Anyway, I'm just wanting to know if anybody has been on Imuran and still used cannabis?
I'm interested as well, I'm about to start Azathioprine, but so far the best medicine I found has also been cannabis.

Thanks for those posts gutlesswonder, didn't seem to have direct correlation of the two in combination though, we're only 2 reports on the first link. Have you personally used the two together?

no I don't do MJ as it's illegal where I live in NY state. I won't break the law as I was on grand jury several years ago and saw what it does to people who are addicted to it.

I was on 6MP but it started to affect the liver and my WBC was 1 so my hematologist cld the GI and I stopped it all together. Entocort is really keeping me in remission with an occasional spasm due to that new flu that is going around.

I take Nucynta for pain management under the care of my doctor. BUT I don't take it every day because if I feel fine, there's no need to take it.

hi joshuaaa, last year when i was having a major flare, i did smoke cannabis on a few occasions and it helped the pain unbelievable amounts and i was also taking azathioprine at the same time and had no bad effect from it. it is also illegal here in the UK too, but at the time, it was a risk i was willing to take.

however, I know a lot of stoners and absolutley hate the idea of becoming one because as much as they tell you that they're not addicted, they are. Anyone can become addicted to anything, perhaps not chemically, but mentally they will.

In my opinion, I think it is only worth using cannabis if you are in extremely bad pain, as a last resort. Not everyday to keep the symptoms away

There are a lot of people on this site that use or have used cannabis regularly to help their disease. You should be supportive and not derogatory.

I just ask that people not call crohn's patients that use cannabis "stoners" or otherwise imply that we are criminals. We are all on the same team here and I urge you people with bad opinions of cannabis to educate yourselves and read the studies and please be respectful of other crohn's patients utilizing this treatment.

David

Co-Founder
Data and anecdotal evidence shows that cannabis can be an absolutely fantastic treatment option for Crohn's disease and other IBD. If it is available as a medicine in your area, I personally would recommend exploring utilizing it (under supervision of a physician who supports its use and understands it) in conjunction with other treatment options and definitely not as a last resort. Our wiki entry for medical marijuana is comprehensive (give it a read) and our science advisor, Dr. Chapman, supports its use as well.

no I don't do MJ as it's illegal where I live in NY state. I won't break the law as I was on grand jury several years ago and saw what it does to people who are addicted to it.

I was on 6MP but it started to affect the liver and my WBC was 1 so my hematologist cld the GI and I stopped it all together. Entocort is really keeping me in remission with an occasional spasm due to that new flu that is going around.

I take Nucynta for pain management under the care of my doctor. BUT I don't take it every day because if I feel fine, there's no need to take it.
So you don't take marijuana which is shown to actually help with inflammation associated with crohns because of what people who are "addicted" to it go through but you take a powerful narcotic for pain relief?

Last edited by a moderator:
There are a lot of people on this site that use or have used cannabis regularly to help their disease. You should be supportive and not derogatory.

I just ask that people not call crohn's patients that use cannabis "stoners" or otherwise imply that we are criminals. We are all on the same team here and I urge you people with bad opinions of cannabis to educate yourselves and read the studies and please be respectful of other crohn's patients utilizing this treatment.
i didnt mean to offend anyone, i could have probably worded what i said better..

the stoners i was refering to, are people who dont have chronic illness, but instead just sit around their flats/houses/parents gardens smoking joint after joint after joint just to get high. I see it all the time, especially where I live

I completely understand the benefits of Cannabis and i personally feel it should be legally used medicinally for people who need it.

My pain medication is approved by the FDA and it's a controlled substance. My doctor and I work together to keep me pain free due to my debilitation migraines and its legal.

I talked to my primary MD about MJ and he wasn't for it just because there are many options out there for patients that are legal.

MJ is not illegal everywhere. I am part of the official Canadian MMAR program. I had to jump through SO MANY hoops to get the card, but I did it anyway out of principle. Some people are in pain and do not have the time or resources to go legal EVEN if they could.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Guys please remember that this is a support forum. This thread is not about debating the legality of marijuana or having to do with anything other than its use along with Imuran. If this continues the thread will be locked. Thank you.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Rather than debate and insult each other please stay on topic and share facts and experience on the use of MM and Imuran. Thank you. :)

Hey there, I am a long time MJ user (daily for nausia, etc.) and I took Azathioprine for 10 months last year. MJ is legal here and my Drs, while not convinced of the benefits, did not indicate I should worry about any interactions.
I did have some affects from the Aza, but I prefer smoking as part of my ongoing therapy. My own personal experience is that the cannabis can cause you to feel more tired on top of the fatigue the meds can cause, and this was the worst part of combining them.

**Sorry, this is my first post to the forum. I will follow up with an intro about myself soon!

Thanks for that, yea I struggle with fatigue as it is, I usually vape as soon as I wake up as it makes me feel good in the stomach for most of the day, I definitely have a dependence on it but I figure if it makes me feel good then ima keep on doing it, I do sometimes get paranoid because iv had two friends go to the mental ward from too much pot. (from
What i understand their bodies can't get rid of the dopamine - atleast that was the case with one of them (but they used to chuff hard, im talking like smoke a quarter ounce between 3-4 ppl in one sitting)

Hey there, I am a long time MJ user (daily for nausia, etc.) and I took Azathioprine for 10 months last year. MJ is legal here and my Drs, while not convinced of the benefits, did not indicate I should worry about any interactions.
I did have some affects from the Aza, but I prefer smoking as part of my ongoing therapy. My own personal experience is that the cannabis can cause you to feel more tired on top of the fatigue the meds can cause, and this was the worst part of combining them.

**Sorry, this is my first post to the forum. I will follow up with an intro about myself soon!
Have you tried a CBD rich strain? I have seeds coming from Spain from the CBD Crew. I'm excited to see if it makes a difference on my pain and inflammation.

Jim (POPS)

Jim (Pops)
I can't see why you can't use the 2 at the sametime. MM is a great thing to use for the treatment of pain AND chronic illness. The depresion that comes with crohns can often be worse that the crohns itself and MM can help that as well. But, if you get paranoid like I do, this is not a option. You have to be in the right frame of mind to smoke MM and right now I'm not. I wish I was. maybe some day I will be. After all, I did smoke POT for over 40 years and I can see that it would be a great help.

Hey Joshua, I can only say that i'm on imuran and MJ (both of them everyday) since 1 year already and i just feel that my body couldn't be healthier at this point... Here in Brazil MJ stills illegal so i dont have access to a lot of different types but anyway it just kept me going you know... So i think you definitely dont need to worry about it !

I take imuran 100-150mg depending on how bad I feel (side effects). Usually take all three within early 6 hours of day. Pot is a life saver for me. I was developing anal fistulas and the pain was unbelievable. Pot decreases pain plain and simple. It also reduces swelling and inflamation when the cramps start. I don't know why everyone with U/C or Crohns don't supplement with Pot.

So whats the best way of administering cannabis to get the health benefits? Ive recently been diagnosed with crohns and ive been smoking it in joints since I've been diagnosed but I know obviously I have to stop smoking tobacco. I'm just curious as to what the best way is. Currently I'm on 100mg aza and I have my 3rd infliximab drip today. :/

Hi,
Depending on what I'm after really. For cramps and pain, I smoke it cause it is immediate. For a longer control and healing, I take cannabutter. At times I use it as a lotion and put it on my fistulas. I take it any way I can.

BUT, I have found a way to the cure.... I do not have side pains or cramps anylonger. No bloating, no extended pain. I have not taken my medication in 4 months, remission only occured when I followed an amazing diet. Please look into it cause it has provided me with relief. Its called the
SCD Diet and I for one says it works. People comment on my recovery and looks - never in the 18 years of pain and drugs have I felt this good. I still can not believe it works. Crohnsboy.com helped me decide. PLEASE look into this - it can not hurt to try. Good luck!

David

Co-Founder
Welcome to the community adee. There is an excellent thread on medical marijuana for Crohn's disease located here that I suggest you read.

I agree with haunsdoger that diet is very important as well and many have had positive results from the SCD diet as well as other diets like paleo. Unfortunately, it is NOT the cure but every bit helps when it comes to working towards and then maintaining remission.

Sorry to say David, I disagree to some extent. The word "cure" indicates that there is something to fix. That fix can be mental or physical. The diet reasoning is sound. The science behind the SCD diet is valid. Some believe there is no "cure" such as doctors and the pharma industry. You can not say it is NOT a cure. You can not say it is a cure. Nor can I. The goal is to feel better and to live without drugs - that is the goal. It is sad to know that some will not even attempt this diet because of your response. I can only express an experience.

David

Co-Founder
I absolutely believe there is a cure out there :) Here at Crohnsforum.com though, we're careful about the use of the word, "cure". If you would have said, "I HOPE I have found a way to the cure" I wouldn't have commented. But as you utilized, "HAVE" which is definitive, I felt the need to comment. Without confirmation by science, we just can't use definitive wording as that is misleading to people which isn't fair. Unfortunately, I can say that SCD isn't a cure because I haven't read any data that showcases someone maintaining deep, stable remission as a result of the SCD even when they stop the SCD. I DO believe that SCD can induce remission, however.

I would hope my statements doesn't push anyone away from trying the SCD or like-diets because, as I mentioned, I think they are an integral part of a well-rounded treatment plan. I absolutely believe they can help lead to remission in some people.

So what would you call remission...? Having no symptoms at all, being able to eat what I want? I was diagnosed with this illness in Nov this year. And I still feel as if i'm in the dark age about everything.

Interesting read. My doc says no research to support cannabis helps, however I find that it did take the pain away when I had it from Crohn's. Now that I am on Imuran I feel dizzy if I use cannabis. I feel slight Vertigo and weird dizzy spells on the reg now WITHOUT using cannabis also. That makes me more bummed then the Crohn's itself. I am hoping that my body chills out. Been on Imuran for 8 months.

Any similar experiences out there?

Imuran seems to mute the mental effects of cannabis. Be very careful when coming off of imuran and consuming the same amount of weed. The change of effect can be very suprising.

Why anyone with Crohn's would want to smoke anything is totally beyond me.

My advice would be get some cbd capsules they deliver the cbd to the endocannabinoid receptors in your gut for maximum benefit. No psychoactive effects either.

Why anyone with Crohn's would want to smoke anything is totally beyond me.

My advice would be get some cbd capsules they deliver the cbd to the endocannabinoid receptors in your gut for maximum benefit. No psychoactive effects either.

Capsules or just oil with a pipette.

I guess some people are just afraid of the randomness of it. It's very difficult to dose it and test it. It can start working at random times depending on your metabolism.