Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Prednisone/Entocort » Switching from Entocort to prednisone

06-19-2018, 06:35 AM   #1
Ajjjj

Switching from Entocort to prednisone

Currently on 6 mg of Entocort and havenít had much relief. Would like to switch to prednisone, do I need to taper off Entocort before switching?
06-19-2018, 06:42 AM   #2
Kyle.h

My Support Groups:
I didn't when I switched. My GI advised to stop them and start Pred the next day. Was a bit spaced out for a couple of days. Pred worked from then on. Good luck!

06-19-2018, 06:47 AM   #3
Ajjjj

I didn't when I switched. My GI advised to stop them and start Pred the next day. Was a bit spaced out for a couple of days. Pred worked from then on. Good luck!
Thanks Kyle!!
06-19-2018, 10:17 AM   #4
Scipio

My Support Groups:
∑ Stelara
Currently on 6 mg of Entocort and havenít had much relief. Would like to switch to prednisone, do I need to taper off Entocort before switching?
Probably not. The taper is needed when you are decreasing the amount or power of corticosteroid you are taking. Going from Entocort to prednisone would be a sharp increase.
06-22-2018, 01:40 PM   #5
Lynda Lynda

Ajjjj
06-26-2018, 09:01 AM   #6
trebor-HI

My Support Groups:
∑ Stelara
Interesting that your Doctor is putting you on Prednisone. Have they tried any of the immunomodulators or biologics? I was only on Prednisone once, during a hospital stay for a small bowel obstruction. The Doctors wanted me to taper off pretty soon afterwards and start Humira. As it turned out, I suffered a severe side effect to the Humira so they discontinued that and put me on MTX.
Regarding your question: My understanding is that Entocort is a topical steroid. It has a coating that doesn't dissolve until it is in the ileum of the small bowel (the most common site for crohn's). Once there, it's action is focused directly on the ileum and has little systemic action and hence fewer side effects. Prednisone by contrast, is systemic, effecting the whole body including the small bowel. So, I would not think there is any need to taper off Entocort before taking Prednisone

diagnosed with Crohn's 2012
Apriso, buedesonide, imuran, prednisone, humira, methotrexate and Stelara.
No surgeries, but hospitalized four times due to small bowel obstructions.
06-29-2018, 09:25 PM   #7
Lynda Lynda

Ajjjj : Are you feeling any better ?
Wishing you well. 🌻

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Prednisone/Entocort » Switching from Entocort to prednisone