Crohn's Disease Forum » Books, Multimedia, Research & News » Adding Stawberries to Diet Found to Decrease Gut Inflammation

08-20-2018, 12:49 PM   #1
Scipio

My Support Groups:
Adding Stawberries to Diet Found to Decrease Gut Inflammation

Using a mouse model for IBD:

http://www.newswise.com/articles/str...n-in-the-colon

From the article:
"The researchers found that dietary consumption of whole strawberries at a dose equivalent to as low as three-quarters of a cup of strawberries per day in humans significantly suppressed symptoms like body weight loss and bloody diarrhea in mice with IBD. Strawberry treatments also diminished inflammatory responses in the mice’s colonic tissue.

But decreased inflammation wasn’t the strawberry’s only conferred benefit during this study. Colonic inflammation adversely impacts the composition of microbiota in the gut. With IBD, the abundance of harmful bacteria increases, while levels of beneficial bacteria decrease in the colon. Following the dietary treatments of whole strawberries, the researchers observed a reversal of that unhealthy microbiota composition in the IBD mice. Xiao’s team also obtained experimental data that indicated strawberries might impact abnormal metabolic pathways in the IBD mice, which in turn could lead to the decreased colonic inflammation they observed."
08-20-2018, 08:13 PM   #2
D Bergy

Strawberries also can capture around 95% of dietary mercury.

Dan
08-20-2018, 08:43 PM   #3
onolox

What is this in grams?
09-09-2018, 05:03 PM   #4
Lady Organic
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
THanks. I'll make an effort to eat more strawberries. What's interesting is that they are easily found, even organic, all year long frozen at the grocery store.
BTW, conventional agriculture strawberry is one of the fruits that would contain some of the highest amount of pesticides residues inside. I learned as well that strawberries grow very close to the ground as opposed to other berries and because of that they would need more pesticides.
Diet: ''IBD-AID'' : http://www.nutritionj.com/content/13/1/5+ organic food only, Vitamin D + B12 shots
Past meds: prednisone 50mg, 5-ASA (pill, rectal), cortifoam, cortenema, Imuran, Purinethol, methotrexate.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Books, Multimedia, Research & News » Adding Stawberries to Diet Found to Decrease Gut Inflammation