• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Asacol/Delzicol?

I've just read on another thread that Asacol has been discontinued and replaced by Delzicol. Doing a bit of googling, I discovered this seems to have happened around 2013.

I'm very puzzled because I was put on Asacol only a few months ago, and I'm taking it currently. So I'm wondering whether production has recommenced, or maybe it was only withdrawn in American. Does anybody know what is going on - I don't understand why I would be prescribed an obsolete drug that's not being made any more?

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
I'm afraid I don't know the answer to this and am thinking it might be a good one for your doctor's office. I was on asacol in the past until it stopped working for me. I hope that if you're put on this new one it will work just as good for you as the asacol. Please keep us updated!

I've just read on another thread that Asacol has been discontinued and replaced by Delzicol. Doing a bit of googling, I discovered this seems to have happened around 2013.

I'm very puzzled because I was put on Asacol only a few months ago, and I'm taking it currently. So I'm wondering whether production has recommenced, or maybe it was only withdrawn in American. Does anybody know what is going on - I don't understand why I would be prescribed an obsolete drug that's not being made any more?
Asacol HD 800mg is still available. That's what I was taking (didn't work for me though) Think it was just the 400 mg that was discontinued.

Thank you both for the replies. The odd thing is, I'm on the Asacol 400 mg that's said to have been discontinued. Maybe my pharmacists have a large stockpile? (The expiry date is October 2017, so they're within date still.) It's not a huge problem, just a little disconcerting that I'm on a medication that seems to be helping but there's the fear that it could suddenly become unavailable to me.

Lizzie, I think that's so strange but maybe you're right. Could be it was only discontinued in America. No worries there are several great meds out there for moderate degree Crohn's. If they further discontinue I'm sure your Dr will find something else to treat you! 😃