• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Lialda savings card done?

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I take Lialda, and I have always used the Lialda savings card from the manufacturer. With my insurance, a month's supply of Lialda is $75 out of pocket, but with the savings card I only paid $10 out of pocket. But, I got a letter in the mail yesterday from the manufacturer (Shire), saying that they're discontinuing the Lialda savings card as of Oct 15th. That's in 2 days! They are giving almost no warning and just dropping the savings card for no reason? Ugh. Did anybody else get that letter? Anybody know of any other way to lower the cost of Lialda? $75 is a lot to pay each month. I'm really not happy about this.

Cat, at my doctor's office, the manufacturer drops off samples all the time. They let me pick some up whenever I run low. I wonder if your doctor would have something similar?

I just got this letter as well, sure is a shock! a quick googling shows all the sign for old program is gone and no new program... Having been using this discount program for 6? years now ever sense I had to start taking it, I dont know what my out of pocket will be with out it, but it will definitely be more. Will something replace it? What happened? Whats going on? :(

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
jtd, I don't know the answers to your questions. I hope they replace it with something. I wrote an email to the company but only got a standard "thanks for your message" response from them. Ugh.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
The generic mesalamine isn't the same as Lialda, though. I read that it's most similar to Asacol HD, and I can't do Asacol HD. My body can't break down those tablets so they go right through me. That's why I'm on Lialda, because I can break down those tablets. Ugh. :(

The generic mesalamine isn't the same as Lialda, though. I read that it's most similar to Asacol HD, and I can't do Asacol HD. My body can't break down those tablets so they go right through me. That's why I'm on Lialda, because I can break down those tablets. Ugh. :(

I honestly don’t know anything about the generic only that it’s new and replacing Lialda for most patients. Speak with your GI

After 1 month on the zydus generic I received a letter from my health insurance (providence) dated janurary 22nd. that they would not pay for the generic.

I am to request Lialda from the pharmacy for this next refill, and starting march1 lialda name brand will become a class1 drug (?dunno what this means), billed as if it is a generic even though its the named brand version from shire, and that they would remove it from needing prior auth going forward.

If this is true its cost will become what it use to be with the extra discount from the savings card!

Lynda Lynda

Lialda is crazy expensive right now ! I called my pharmacy for a cash price quote and was astonished at the price ! I am currently not taking Lialda. But, back in 2012, when I was broke financially, I applied to Shire for free Lialda based on my income. I was approved and received Lialda for free for one year. PS: Yeah, I also had a great Gastroenterologist at the time who loaded up a bag with free Lialda samples for me a while back !:heart: