• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Bye, bye alcohol

I just want to vent a little about my own dumb mistake over the weekend.

Saturday my husband and I went out with friends to a local bar. I don't drink very often, but I do have a beer now and then. Saturday I was feeling good and we ordered beer. I felt good and drank a couple more...well eventually shots were bought by friends and more beer. I am sure many of you can see where this is heading. One minute I was having a blast and the next minute a friend was helping me out of the restroom (this took place over a span of about 7 hours). I had started to feel sick so my husband took me home. I proceeded to vomit the rest of the night. Sunday I was nauseous and had the worst headache...hangover from hell. Monday still bad headache and can't really eat anything still. Tuesday can eat a little bit, but everything gives me heartburn and have diarrhea. Here we are Wednesday and I still am having major heartburn and a little bit of diarrhea. This is the worst hangover I have ever had in my life. I am assuming that is because of the Crohn's being involved??? Thank goodness I didn't throw myself into a full blown flare.

I am just so mad at myself for drinking so much. Why did I do that knowing that in the past alcohol has given me problems when I have too much? I guess I just felt fine at the time so figured it would be ok. My husband knew I had a lot to drink, but even he didn't think I would get that sick after...hangover, but not all the vomiting. I wasn't downing drinks and even stopped in between, we were there for a long time. Ugh! So dumb! I think it is time to say goodbye to alcohol once and for all. It's just not worth it. At times I feel like I am overreacting a bit...everyone wants to swear off alcohol after a hangover right? But this felt different...like my body is having major issues getting over it. I can't describe it. I don't rely on alcohol in social settings, but it of course settles any nerves...I tend to be kind of shy. Oh well...bye, bye alcohol...we had some good times and definitely a very, very bad breakup.

I can relate! My sister in law and I had gone out for a few drinks. You know girls night celebrating that little bit of time with no kids. I was so terribly sick the next day it wasn't even funny. I threw up that evening when I got home and the next day all that came was bile. Two weeks later I ended up in the ER I was admitted and had a resection done that evening.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I am also not able to have any alcohol at all. I'm on LDN, and there isn't much info out there about whether it's okay to have alcohol while on LDN. I googled when I first started taking it about 7 months ago, and the only information I could find said something to the effect of, some people on LDN are fine with small amounts of alcohol, but other people on LDN cannot have any alcohol or they'll have horrendous uncontrollable projectile vomiting. Um, no thank you, I don't even want to test that as it sounds awful! I'd rather just not have any alcohol, I've never been a big drinker anyway. I'm sorry you had such a bad time, that sounds terrible. :( For what it's worth, I'm quite shy and introverted also. So I feel your pain. It's not a big loss, but it does suck in certain situations.

I can relate! My sister in law and I had gone out for a few drinks. You know girls night celebrating that little bit of time with no kids. I was so terribly sick the next day it wasn't even funny. I threw up that evening when I got home and the next day all that came was bile. Two weeks later I ended up in the ER I was admitted and had a resection done that evening.
Yikes! I am hoping I will be better in a few days, I do feel better each day...just seems like too long for just a hangover.

I am also not able to have any alcohol at all. I'm on LDN, and there isn't much info out there about whether it's okay to have alcohol while on LDN. I googled when I first started taking it about 7 months ago, and the only information I could find said something to the effect of, some people on LDN are fine with small amounts of alcohol, but other people on LDN cannot have any alcohol or they'll have horrendous uncontrollable projectile vomiting. Um, no thank you, I don't even want to test that as it sounds awful! I'd rather just not have any alcohol, I've never been a big drinker anyway. I'm sorry you had such a bad time, that sounds terrible. :( For what it's worth, I'm quite shy and introverted also. So I feel your pain. It's not a big loss, but it does suck in certain situations.
I agree...projectile vomiting no thank you! I fight vomit to the bitter end too, I hate the way it feels! It would probably be better to just let it happen. I went and got some chamomile tea and some more antacids so I should be good for the night. Hopefully all will be normal again tomorrow.

So I feel a bit better today, but still having heartburn issues and had a terrible time sleeping last night. Tea seems to help a bit and been having to take an antacid after eating anything. Stools are semi solid, but smell foul! Frequency has gone down since yesterday so that's good too. Did an easy workout this morning after reading that exercise can help with GERD symptoms. Trying to stay away from any food or drink that might aggravate things.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Interesting about exercise and GERD - I have severe GERD and I find that exercise tends to flare mine up. Particularly if I'm using my abdominal muscles in any way or if I'm bending over or anything like that. I always have to take ranitidine and sometimes Tums too before working out or I reflux too much and have to stop.

I think you said you're having chamomile tea which should be fine, but do avoid peppermint tea as it can be a GERD trigger - from what I've read, peppermint can relax the valve between stomach & esophagus, which will allow more refluxate to come up.

I hope you're able to sleep better tonight! It's terrible that you're still recovering from this, and I hope soon you're feeling back to your usual self again.

No peppermint tea, just chamomile and I have some green tea. I was surprised about the whole exercise thing too, but the article did say low impact, exercise on an empty stomach, for 30 min or less and no lying down. I can't exercise too soon after eating or it sends me to the bathroom anyway so I try to do it early morning or late afternoon. The overall theory was that keeping active and not being overweight would help ease GERD. It did say rigorous exercise or jarring activities like running often make GERD worse. I had also taken an antacid before starting so that probably helped too!