• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Vegan Recipes You Will Love

I have so many wonderful recipes that I have developed. And I have seen many who gave up milk and are sad. first off, I use soy silk and almond milk and they both are awesome. Now if you miss ice cream...you can make your own with frozen fruit and a Vita Mix powerful Blender. Granted it is expensive but it has helped me so much when I crave ice cream. Like tonight I made some for me and hubby. Made with frozen bananas, dates, a few pecan and soy milk and ice cubes. then in the powerful Vita Mix it actually blend into a dairy queen consistency. Yummy. I also make awesome soups. If anyone wants my recipes give me your mail. It is much easier to e mail them.

I stay away from pepper and highly hot dishes as these do bring on a relapse. But I make a yummy stir fry too, oh so many. I actually have my own cookbook i created.

Well there is lots of hope for us.

ameslouise

I gave up all dairy too and it was really hard at first.

I use rice cheese in a lot of recipes. I find it melts and tastes WAY better than soy cheese. It has tons of protein, too. I use it to top casseroles, in egg white omelets, etc.

My other favorite vegan food is Quorn, which is a meat sub made from mycoprotien (a fungus like mushrooms). Tons of fiber and protein, soy free, and very versatile. They make a crumble product, chicken, meatballs, and chicken cutlets. I make a chicken parm with the plain chicken style and rice cheese - even my picky 9 year old loves it.

Sunshine, if you can figure out how to make me a dairy free Peanut Buster Parfait like from Dairy Queen, you will be my new best friend!!

-Amy

You can make dairy free ice cream with 2 large frozen sliced bananas and 1/3 cup of almond milk and 1 tsp vanilla. Blend in a food processor. Dont add too much milk or it will turn into a smoothie. You may have to stop and push everything down a couple times but it should look like ice cream.

I am sure you can modify the recipe by adding peanut butter and coco powder and dairy free chocolate.

Amy, the Peanut Buster Parfait was always my favorite when I was a carefree kid! I'm vegan and gluten-free (was initially diagnosed with celiac, then to Crohn's, but gf made me feel so much better I never stopped). I own an ice cream maker and I've made all sorts of good stuff (I really recommend http://veganicecream.blogspot.com/, the chick-o-stick ice cream is killer). The only hassle with making it yourself is that the starter needs to be heated, then chilled. So I always keep some in my fridge so I can make ice cream whenever I want. To make soft-serve style, I just don't freeze it as long in my maker. I'm sure there are hot fudge recipes out there, but I'm lazy and have an awesome natural foods store in my town, so I get mine there. Top with peanuts and voila! PBP!

If making my own ice cream seems like to much work, I just get dairy-free ice cream at the store and let it soften for a little while. There are some really great dairy-free ice creams coming out lately.

I checked out the web sight. Way too much work and too much sugar. I know that sugar is not good for inflammatory diseases like crohns. buying a vita mix and making ice cream on the spot is so much healthier and easier. I just make some
1/2 cup soy milk
1/4 oz pecan
4 pitted dates
1 frozen banana
1/2 cup frozen mango
5-6 ice cubes
And just turn on and use plunger that comes with it and in 15 seconds or so yu have a ice cream so yummy and no sugar and no coconut milks.

yummy

I've used that website for a long time, so when I saw mentions of vegan ice creams here, I brought it up, because I've always loved her recipes. I like to cook and prepare, so it hasn't been too much work for me. But I didn't know sugar is bad for Crohn's. I was only diagnosed less than two weeks ago, so it's all very new to me. I'm sorry for posting it. It's very frustrating that things like this weren't mentioned in the materials I was given and books I bought about Crohn's. I think I just got a little overexcited when I thought I could add something, but it's probably not a good idea for me to go around posting when I'm still not familiar with the disease. I'm so sorry for mussing your thread! And thanks for the new recipe. I'm always on the lookout for new recipes.

ameslouise

Hi Blythe -Thanks for the link! There is a thread in the Food and Diet section about sugar- and like everything else for Crohnie's, it affects some people adversely and not others. I stay away from it by personal choice, but never really noticed if it had affected me poorly before I quit it. Like you, i feel so much better eating vegan and whole foods (as much as I hate it sometimes) that I would be hesitant to go back.

Any other vegan sites you like? I use vegweb a lot.

Happy Eating!

Another favourite of mine.

Chocolate avocado mousse.

2 ripe avocados
1/2 cup almond butter
1/2 cup almond milk
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup maple syrup or whatever sweetener you prefer
pinch salt

place ingredient in a food processor and blend till smooth.

You can sub whatever dairy free milk or nut butter that you like. Peanut butter also works good.

This is so rich. A little goes a long way. The avocado makes it really smooth and silky and you would never know its in there.

ameslouise

I have heard of avocado chocolate but never tried it myself. This looks great - thanks for sharing.

I have bananas in the freezer right now and am going to make Peanut Buster parfaits this weekend! - Amy

love love love love i wish there was a like button on here the only thing though im allergic to soy so i have to use other substitutes....oh what joy it is

I actually have my own cookbook i created.
I have been trying to go up meat and dairy for a few years now, as they both flare me up. Finally taken the plunge last month and decided to commit myself to a full vegan diet.

I will also need to avoid bread, cake and biscuits, as flour and sugar are also bad for my UC. I will also be limiting my soy/tofu intake because I don’t like it very much.

Sadly most of the vegan cook books I have brought are high in soy/tofu recipes.

What does yours consist of?

ameslouise

I fell off the vegan wagon hard. But I do still eat vegetarian options regularly. It's really hard to do vegan AND soy free. Even my favorite Quorn products have egg whites in them.

Good luck - I hope you feel lots better with your new diet!

-Amy

This grilled mushroom burger is better than a regular beef burger. Honestly! You get the same feel of having a patty and all the tasty toppings in between a bun, but you won’t feel lethargic after downing a bunch of beef. The portobellos get a nice, smoky flavor from the grill, plus the garlic, onions and goat cheese pair perfectly with it. Diced tomatoes and fresh greens add some crisp, and all the toppings are situated within the mushroom cap. Now that’s what I call a burger!

4 large Portobello mushrooms
(4–5 inches in diameter, 1 per person)
3 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 red onion, sliced in ½-inch thick round slices
⅓ cup goat cheese
¾ cup plum (Roma) tomatoes, diced
1 cup fresh arugula or spring mix
4 hamburger buns
Olive oil
Source recipes by MEAL5.com