• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Bone Broth Recipe

Hey

I know there are loads of recipes around. But I have been experimenting, and this recipe is the best I have found so far:

Chicken Broth Ingredients:

A selection of raw chicken meat containing the bones OR just raw bones if you can source them.

Make sure you get bones fit for human consumption; as some are sold for pet food only.

Best places are: supermarket meat departments, deli, butcher, and Asian grocers in specialized places like Chinatown.

Butchers will chop down a chicken if you ask them - also instructional videos on YouTube. Or better still buy pre-cut. You can leave intact if you have a big pot.

(i.e.) loose bones, necks, backs, wing tips, drumsticks, chicken feet, whole raw chicken, or a chicken carcass.

It is easier to leave the skin on – or you can remove some or all of it – your choice.

Try to use certified organic or free range chicken if possible.

-------------------------

ALSO:

1/4 cup raw apple cider vinegar (use a brand with the Mother intact)

1 large raw brown onion, coarsely chopped

1 - 2 bulbs of raw garlic, peeled and mashed

2 - 3 raw carrots, coarsely chopped

2 - 3 raw celery stalks (and leaf top; if organic), coarsely chopped

2 dried bay leaves

5 - 10 white or black peppercorns

1 bunch of fresh parsley

Dried astragalus or dried burdock root slices (optional)

Enough (filtered) cold water to cover everything in the pot - plus a little extra to make up for any evaporation.

Instructions:

Place all of the chicken in a large stainless steel * stockpot with the water along with the apple cider vinegar and the vegetables (except the parsley).

* I don’t use a stockpot - I use an electric slow cooker

Let stand for 1 hour. The apple cider vinegar will help to draw the minerals out of the bones.

Bring to the boil, and remove any scum that rises to the top with a slotted spoon. If you are using an electric slow cooker you won’t get any scum – so you can skip this part.

Once boiling, add the bay leaves and peppercorns, and astragalus or burdock root (if using).

Then reduce heat to lowest setting, cover with lid and simmer for 6 to 48 hours.

If using a stockpot on the stove top, you will need to supervise pot for the entire time to ensure nothing boils over or boils dry.

But if using an electric slow cooker; simply bring to boil, then turn down to lowest setting, cover with lid, walk away and return XXXX hours later when ready. Although I cannot resist checking on it every few hours as it smells so good!

The longer you cook it the richer the flavour will be. I am doing mine for a full 24 hours. Normally will put on at 6pm on a Saturday night and finish 6pm on the Sunday night.

Thirty minutes prior to the stock finishing time - add the parsley.

I also add chopped cabbage and kale at this time – although this was not in the original recipe. All the additional nutrients will be good for me and they certainly help to enrich the flavour more.

When time up. Remove from heat. Allow to cool. Then strain the broth a couple of times through a sieve to ensure all small splinter bones (and chicken feet toenails!) have been removed.

Dispose of all the chicken and vegetables. Not safe for humans or pets to eat because of splintered bones.

Store liquid broth in fridge and re-heat on stove (not microwave) or drink cold when required. It should be made fresh every few days for best nutritional benefits and taste. Or freeze for later use in soups.

I am finding this broth to be simply excellent for UC. I can drink it for three days running but then I need a rest. One pot lasts for three days so this works out perfectly for me.

It is actually very yummy.

Thanks for the bone broth recipe. I find bone broth is almost magical when I can't keep much food down during a flare. Can't wait to try this recipe!

Smelly, got a question - why do you use astragalus or burdock root? Thanks, M
For their health benefits - pure and simple.

Both are used in Chinese herbal medicine and cooking. They are particularly good in winter for building and protecting the immune system. And are said to protect against cancer.

http://www.chinese-herbs.org/burdock/

http://www.chinese-herbs.org/astragalus/

Although I should have mentioned earlier that you should avoid both or seek professional guidance first, if pregnant or breastfeeding.

They are only optional in the broth any way; as very hard to source.

Otherwise you could use fresh ginger root or fresh turmeric root. These will also add to the flavour in a subtle way, and they have amazing medicinal properties in regards to health benefits.

Hope that answers your question?

Thank you so much for sharing! I know there are lots of recipes out there, but it's good to hear from someone actually making it!

Please read this:

"The risk of lead contamination in bone broths":

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23375414

I am not 100% sure if they are just referring to processed shop brought broth - or they also mean homemade broth. I am pretty sure they mean both.

I am not worried at all. But you may want to consider the implications and factors before making this broth.

I am using Certified Organic Free Range Chicken. And as the base, I am cooking the chicken in filtered water (not tap) that is completely free of BPA, chlorine, bacteria, fluoride, sodium and other impurities.

I am not drinking this excessively as part of a diet. But rather using it as a nourishing drink as part of my diet occasionally.

6 Foods for Natural Heavy Metal Chelation

Heavy metals can do significant damage to the body. Historically, they’ve been used as “an instrument of murder” (in the case of arsenic) and instruments of war. But most people who are exposed to heavy metals in today’s times are through their food, water, vaccines, or the air around them. The good news is that there are natural ways to chelate heavy metals from your body.

http://naturalsociety.com/6-foods-natural-heavy-metal-chelation/