• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Restless legs at night

I have recently been diagnosed with Crohns and have just started prednisolone. I have six weeks to go tapering down from 40mg. I have been experiencing some mild insomnia but have managed to get some sleep. However the last few nights I have had severe restless legs and can not stay still?! I do not smoke or drink, and do not drink a lot of caffeine. Is this a normal side effect, if so it it likely to continue for the next six weeks?? I am also on the following medication: ciprofloxacin, mesalazine, metronidazole, ranitidine and thiamine. Any help you could offer would be great!

Hi TK83, I have crohns and also get restless legs. I usually take 2 paracetamol and jump back into bed. Usually does the trick.
I'm on weekly 15mg MTX and 3 mthly Ustekinumab which is a trial drug here in NZ.

Good luck
Regards Shane

Hi TK83, I have crohns and also get restless legs. I usually take 2 paracetamol and jump back into bed. Usually does the trick.
I'm on weekly 15mg MTX and 3 mthly Ustekinumab which is a trial drug here in NZ.

Good luck
Regards Shane
I will give that a go now, didn't think to try paracetamol. Thanks!

Not sure about the other meds. I never had restless legs except one time when I was on Prozac. My Dr prescribed 40 mg and when she lowered it to 20 mg I was fine. My sister got pretty severe insomnia from Zantac though. I think that's what rantidine is. Maybe that's causing it. Also when are you taking the pred? That one I usually take in the AM so I don't know if taking it later in the day might cause some issues with sleep.
You don't take a pain killer like Vicodin or Norco regularly right? If you do and then suddenly stop you will get restless legs.

Not sure about the other meds. I never had restless legs except one time when I was on Prozac. My Dr prescribed 40 mg and when she lowered it to 20 mg I was fine. My sister got pretty severe insomnia from Zantac though. I think that's what rantidine is. Maybe that's causing it. Also when are you taking the pred? That one I usually take in the AM so I don't know if taking it later in the day might cause some issues with sleep.
You don't take a pain killer like Vicodin or Norco regularly right? If you do and then suddenly stop you will get restless legs.
I'm taking the prednisone first thing in the morning as that's meant to help stop any possible insomnia. I'll ask my doctor about the Zantac as I take one in the morning and evening. I occasionally take a tramadol when the pain is particularly bad at night, but no luck last night. The restless legs wore off, don't know if it was the paracetamol but fingers crossed.

I get this and usually to fix it I will raise both legs and shake them frantically or pedal an invisible bike for as long as I can. Keep doing this on and off any time you get the urge to move them, eventually they will give up

Obviously if you share a bed with another person, you will have to get up and do it the old fashioned walking/shaking off way.

Get your calcium checked. It's a very common cause of restless leg syndrome and especially if you avoid dairy it's very easy to be deficient

Get your calcium checked. It's a very common cause of restless leg syndrome and especially if you avoid dairy it's very easy to be deficient
I'm taking calcium supplements twice a day (because of the steroids I think) but will ask my doctor to check levels. I think I'm a bit anaemia too so will ask about that too.

I think the paracetamol might be doing the trick - fingers crossed!!

On that subject Cipro can use up Magnesium and Magnesium deficiency is linked with Restless Legs. But you can't take Magnesium with Cipro as it stops it working.

Something to ask the doctor.

Tesscorm

Staff member
Ugh, I had restless legs in the past and hated it! While I don't have crohns (my son does), I had a terrible time with restless legs because of iron deficiency. Have you checked iron levels lately? My RLS completely disappeared once my iron levels improved. :D

But, in the meantime, what I found that helped a bit in bed, was elevating my legs... put a couple of pillows at your feet and try to fall asleep with legs elevated. It really did help me.

As far as magnesium, I hadn't heard of that connection but, if that is the case, you can also absorb magnesium through the skin by adding epsom salt to baths. But, I don't know if even absorbing through skin would interact with cipro...

Hi
Im having the same trouble, I went to my Gp a couple of weeks ago as I was getting that fed up with it. I was told there are a variaty of reasons why it could be happening so I was sent for blood test just to rule things out. The test showed I have anemia, and this can cause restlesa legs, so im hoping once my levels are back within a normal range the legs will stop.
So on that note,I advise you see your Gp.

Hi
Im having the same trouble, I went to my Gp a couple of weeks ago as I was getting that fed up with it. I was told there are a variaty of reasons why it could be happening so I was sent for blood test just to rule things out. The test showed I have anemia, and this can cause restlesa legs, so im hoping once my levels are back within a normal range the legs will stop.
So on that note,I advise you see your Gp.
I'm seeing my GP on Thursday and will ask about iron/calcium levels as these seem most likely causes ATM. Also (hopefully) easily resolved. Paracetamol seem to help, as does raising them up but it's a bit of a hassle.

Many thanks for the suggestions and advice. I know it's a small thing but when you're awake all night things like this can start driving you mad.

Hey.. I've no idea how to read my posts... My crohns disease is so bad they can't operate I have deep scaring as well as strictures.. I cud go on forever I hate it.. I have restless leg syndrome its awful always at night to.. I'm on no medication tried humira but if anything made me worse! I'm taking turmeric capsules.. Aloe vera capsules.. Slippery elm & I'm on constant antibiotics low dose of penicillin.

I have my right leg pain every now and then. my doctor says its acid reflux - weird but an omeprazol does help me sleep like a baby at night

Restless Legs at night

I was originally diagnosed with Crohn's and RLS about the same time - 20 to 30 years ago. I've been taking Mirapex (Pramipexole) this whole time. I have RLS really bad! With no medication, I can end up walking the floor for hours. However, taking the Pramipexole every night really keeps it in check. People I know with RLS that use quinine and had great results. However, it along with iron, calcium, magnesium haven't worked for me.

Last edited:

scottsma

I read that magnesium supplements help but can be constipating.While in a health shop last week, I overheard a discussion about same and apparently you can buy magnesium oil which you massage into your calves.I didn't buy any, as I was in a rush, but I intend to
, as RLS is getting regular.I'm not on any crohns meds. that would cause it

I'm in remission with my Crohn's disease at the moment, but I often get really bad restless legs, particularly if I haven't done much exercise that day. I try tensing them up at the knee and holding it like that for a couple of minutes (or as long as I can), which often works, although more than anything I find that if I've had a decent amount of exercise during the day (and by that I just mean walking) and I have a read before going to sleep then that works pretty well.

scottsma

Sometimes I wish I could hop on my bike and take off.I know that would work,but my hubby would have a fit if I went for a lone cycle in the middle of the night.

Bufford

I have found that drinking water will sometimes help, getting up and walking about does too or a small snack. Otherwise I will lake a painkiller and return to my sleep.