• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New pain: is it strictures?

Was diagnosed with 2 strictures in illium 4 years ago - been managing on azathioprine and movicol ( stool softner) which finally got me into remission a year ago. Feacal calproctin only 111 and nothing in the bloods.

5 months ago went back to a desk job after a year and immedeatly began to get much stronger pain on the left side when sat at desk or driving car.

Pain is about 1-2cm below and left of "tummy button". I had assumed that this was being caused by what recent MRI confirm as now fibrotic strictures. ie everything backing. up Have been referred to surgeon for resection due to my increased pain levels- despite no/low inflammation.

How can I be sure this is not damage in the colon due to the compacted stools coming form the small intestine strictures? Or is the position of the pain too central to possibly be the large intestine?

(am 57 year old male)

Any thoughts folks?

thanks,

Well I had an MRI a few weeks ago and they confirmed the strictures are fibrotic but when I asked about the new higher level of pain on the left side they just said it was hard to tell - patients complain of pains all over - I'm just concerned - don't know how much they check around the rest of the scan for anything other than what they already know is there ... I would hate to go through a resection/strictureplasty only to find it des not get rid of the main pain.

cheers

thanks,

Well I had an MRI a few weeks ago and they confirmed the strictures are fibrotic but when I asked about the new higher level of pain on the left side they just said it was hard to tell - patients complain of pains all over - I'm just concerned - don't know how much they check around the rest of the scan for anything other than what they already know is there ... I would hate to go through a resection/strictureplasty only to find it des not get rid of the main pain.

cheers
Narrowings and problems with the small bowel can cause pain in places you might not expect. I used to get horrifically painful cramps just below my ribcage in the centre when I had severe inflammation in my terminal ileum.

You sound like your quality of life is poor and there is no possible treatment for strictures caused by scar tissue other than surgery. If that is what you have then surgey probably is your best option as you have been advised.

They will have checked the whole scan not just your problem areas. A colonoscopy may be beneficial for you before you go ahead with the surgery for peace of mind.