• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Dietary success AND UltraInflamX

My son was diagnosed in 2014 with Crohns/Colitis (at age 20) and I have been helping him ever since his symptoms began...my kitchen was one science project after another making Keifer, fermented veggies and bone broths! After seeing a wonderful, knowledgable acupuncturist, we were able to get his IBD under control with diet, (eliminating all cow dairy & gluten) taking Isatis Cooling herbs by Health Concerns, Enzymes-Similase by Integrative Therapeudics and UltraInflamX by Metagenics. He has been off all drugs since 2014 however a couple of minor flareups have occurred that required Prednisone but other than that he has been able to keep it under control and I just wanted to share that with you all!

He still feels a little icky in his gut almost every morning which is such a bummer but as recommended and learned, he starts his day with warm or room temperature food/drink i.e. organic chicken bone broth, or the UltraInflamX with a banana blended in, or some oatmeal...

Those of you struggling to figure out what works? Please know that diet is key and a lifetime lifestyle-NOT temporary. This poor guy has learned the hard way by dabbling with gluten and cow dairy and found each time its just not worth it! Stress too! Life is full of it-impossible to avoid and definitely affects the IBD.

Prayer is also key! Phillippians 4:6 says "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus

Proverbs 3:5-6 tells us to "Trust in the Lord with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight."

Hi, welcome to this site, thank you for the post. I hope your son is doing better with everyday. Your plan sounds pro active and helpful. I totally agree on nutrition/diet being a way of life. Thank you for the enzymes, think i will give them a try too. I appreciate your knowledge!

Be well, God bless

my little penguin

Staff member
Is your child regularly monitored by a gi through scopes and bloodwork /imaging.
Crohns can be sneaky and do damage without significant symptoms for some kids.
Glad you found something that works for your child
Diet alone doesn't always work for many but can be a great addition to meds

Is your child regularly monitored by a gi through scopes and bloodwork /imaging.
Crohns can be sneaky and do damage without significant symptoms for some kids.
Glad you found something that works for your child
Diet alone doesn't always work for many but can be a great addition to meds
Hi,MLP! Every time I can see your helpful and timely suggestions! I want to have the SCD diet for my son after he finished his EEN four weeks later. He has already and only taken the EEN one months. He takes the EEN about every two hours since 7:00 Am to 21:30 Am. Of course he goes to school! I will take specified medicines for him as his doctor asked to do. I just ask your question that the diet, like as SCD diet only works for few people? I think if we take and control the diet which is benefit for the CD disease, the patient will have a longer remission and even he can't take the medicine when in deeper remission.
So I want to know the data source or the proof that you mentioned that "Diet alone doesn't always work for many". I feel confident in the SCD diet.I am a fresh man for the Crohn's forum and slight knowledge of the Crohn's symptoms and dangers for body. I need your advice for the diet and want to know some points for that.

Hello, I find two paper that study the relationship SCD diet with CD for one year.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4726683/
Of course, The FODMAP diet is also mentioned to be useful for IBS.
https://crohnsdisease.com/nutrition/crohns-and-the-fodmap-elimination-diet/

So I think that the diet is important to help the patient get back to his normal life with cooperating with the medicine.

my little penguin

Staff member
Ibs is irritable bowel syndrome which do not cause damage
Fodmaps is used to treat that

Ibd (Crohns and ulcerative colitis ) is inflammatory bowel disease which does cause damage and is NOT treated by Fodmaps

Most combine meds with diet
Ds is on Stelara plus mtx
But also 50% formula and 50% solid food

my little penguin

Staff member
^^^^ yeah that
And most big pediatric ibd in the us no longer recommend scd for kids
Since although it may work
It's way to restrictive for children
And most kids lose weight as a result

Some are ok on it if it's scd is combined with (non scd approved ) formula
But even that is few and far between

Ibs is irritable bowel syndrome which do not cause damage
Fodmaps is used to treat that

Ibd (Crohns and ulcerative colitis ) is inflammatory bowel disease which does cause damage and is NOT treated by Fodmaps

Most combine meds with diet
Ds is on Stelara plus mtx
But also 50% formula and 50% solid food
I am so sorry and have a mistake about IBS and IBD. I know the diet with half formula(fluid food?) and half solid food about your recipe.
My dear MLP, Do you know the book of Breaking the Vicious cycle that offers therapeutic benefits with SCD diet. I joint the group of SCD in China. The girl who is the leader tried the SCD and had insisted it for two years since 2013, then she have a deeper remission and got no medicine for CD since 2015.She was married and has a child in USA, your country. Of course,many good examples in this group for keeping SCD give me confident. So I want to try the SCD and keep some flexible change according to my child's actual condition. When I go to China and take my child for hospital, I will have many questions about blood test reports, like asErythrocyte sedimentation rate(ESR), and need many people help in this forum! Thanks a lot!