• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Vagina air, normal or fistula?

When does passing air through the vagina becomes abnormal? I get a lot of farts/air through my vagina, and I already have a perianal fistula so I should watch out if it has become a recto-vaginal fistula, but where do you draw the line?

Sorry for all the topics I've started, it are many and kinda akward! :clown:

cmack

Staff member
I know others who have gotten answers from the gynaecologist and also were given a referral to a doctor to fix the problem. This may be a good place to start as it has worked before. I hope you are better soon.

That doesn’t sound “normal”. I’d see gyno or GI. No vaginal discharge?
I have an appointment with a GI within a month... I had vaginal discharge (green) and odd sensations in the vagina... there was some brownish stuff coming out of it as well.

My problem is probably denial of some sort. I keep trying to find an alternative explanation for these symptoms.

There were grains of feces coming out of my vagina a day ago... it was truly feces. I felt it coming from deep inside but I just tried and try to shrugg it off as an accident, like it came just from my anus.

Yes it sounds insane but I just feel psychotic at the moment :pale:

These are classic signs of a RVF. Sadly, if drugs are not helping keeping these from forming, surgery may be your best option (assuming inflammation is under control). Depending on the fistula, you could be a candidate for a martius flap. Your CRS likely will refer you out to a urogynecological surgeon for evaluation.

Best of luck!

Diagnosed with Crohn's: 2002
Past Meds: Pentasa, Remicade, Cimzia, Asacol, Cipro, Flagyl, Lialda, Humira
Current Meds: Stelara, Azathioprine (150mg/day)

Surgeries: Fistulotomies & Seton Placements (9/2011, 1/2013 & 8/2013); Advancement Flap (12/2013); Temp Loop Ileostomy (7/2016); Fistula Repair w/ Gracilis Muscle (9/2016); Fistula Repair (12/2016); Seton Placement & Stem Cell Harvesting (4/2018)

These are classic signs of a RVF. Sadly, if drugs are not helping keeping these from forming, surgery may be your best option (assuming inflammation is under control). Depending on the fistula, you could be a candidate for a martius flap. Your CRS likely will refer you out to a urogynecological surgeon for evaluation.

Best of luck!

Diagnosed with Crohn's: 2002
Past Meds: Pentasa, Remicade, Cimzia, Asacol, Cipro, Flagyl, Lialda, Humira
Current Meds: Stelara, Azathioprine (150mg/day)

Surgeries: Fistulotomies & Seton Placements (9/2011, 1/2013 & 8/2013); Advancement Flap (12/2013); Temp Loop Ileostomy (7/2016); Fistula Repair w/ Gracilis Muscle (9/2016); Fistula Repair (12/2016); Seton Placement & Stem Cell Harvesting (4/2018)
Thank for your comment ... my question is though...is it typically for a fistula if the feces comes out like a small graint/speck?

I wish I could tell you. My RVF developed after I had repair on another fistula and was diverted with an ileostomy (so I had no fecal matter, save normal mucus, that could pass through).

Thank for your comment ... my question is though...is it typically for a fistula if the feces comes out like a small graint/speck?

cmack

Staff member
I had specks that looked like pieces of ground coffee that came from one fistula. It was fecal matter, this was confirmed for me by the surgeon. The only difference is that it didn't involve the urinary tract. I hope this helps.

I had specks that looked like pieces of ground coffee that came from one fistula. It was fecal matter, this was confirmed for me by the surgeon. The only difference is that it didn't involve the urinary tract. I hope this helps.
That's exactly what it looked/looks like. It's not everyday though, especially since I no longer have loose stools (border-remission of some sort, lol?) Thank you a lot!