• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Pregnancy with Crohn's and fistulas

I am 30 years old and living in Scotland. I have Crohns and 3 fistula, two rectal and one vaginal. I have only recently been diagnosed with Crohns and am not currently recieving any treatment. For the fistula I have had loose setons in for the past 2 years. Me and my partner are thinking about starting a family but I have not found any information on pregnancy with fistulas at all. I am worried about the delivery making my fistula worse, am I at more risk of losing continence? Can I opt for a c-section on the NHS? I am really unsure as to any of the aspects of being pregnant or giving birth with fistulae so any advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

If you have fistulas you can opt for a c-section. C-sections have risks too, including developing a fistula at the incision site after surgery. Its lots to think about. Discuss the pros and cons of vaginal delivery vs c-section with both your OB/GYN and your GI.

Hi Nickie, I don't know how the health care system is in Scotland (I'm in Canada) but with my first pregnancy I was automatically slated into the c-section category due to my surgeries and one fistula as the concern for any further trauma (tearing etc) outweighed the c-section risks (had the c-section 2 weeks early to avoid any chance of going into delivery). Lydia is correct in that there are some risks with c-section but they are relatively low now days. I am currently 12 weeks pregnant with my 2nd I have just last week had 4 setons put in (3 ano-vaginal, 1 peri-anal) and am again having a c-section. Of course your Doc is the best person to get all the pros and cons from...just thought that I would pass along my story as we seem to have similar issues, wish you all the best with whatever you decide is best for you.
P.S. I had no problems or complications from my c-section and my daughter is now a healthy 6 year-old!

Kat

Some women choose vaginal delivery inspite of their fistulas. MBH (I think it was her) had a vaginal birth with a recto vaginal fistula, and it went fine. The fistula did not get any worse afterward. Her surgeon said it was ok to give birth so she did. Thats why its important to get as many points of veiw as possible and make the best informed decision so you have the birth experience you want. I wish I did this the first time around.

I have had fistulas in past although none the last time I was pregnant and none currently. I did not enjoy my c-section experience. I want to give birth next time around so long as I am in remission at the time of birth.

I am 30 years old and living in Scotland. I have Crohns and 3 fistula, two rectal and one vaginal. I have only recently been diagnosed with Crohns and am not currently recieving any treatment. For the fistula I have had loose setons in for the past 2 years. Me and my partner are thinking about starting a family but I have not found any information on pregnancy with fistulas at all. I am worried about the delivery making my fistula worse, am I at more risk of losing continence? Can I opt for a c-section on the NHS? I am really unsure as to any of the aspects of being pregnant or giving birth with fistulae so any advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Hi Nickie! I had a major perianal fistula 9and still do, except now I have two!) during my pregnancy two years ago and as long as I had setons to drain it in place, I was ok. There is no doubt that you definitely need a csection as not to put pressure on your fistula. That's what I was told. I was also on prednisone during the pregnancy, that's the most benign Crohns med you can take. I had an obstruction my first trimester so I had no choice. Good luck!

Hi when I had my first daughter I was in labour for hours and after a normal delivery I came away with a fistula which I still have now (my daughter is nearly 13) when I became pregnant with my second daughter (who is nearly 9) I was offered a c section because of what happened before, this was on the NHS,

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
Lydia is right. I had a vaginal delivery with a recto-veg fistula, and everything went fine. No problems at all, just blood coming out my butt when I pushed, tee-hee.

I applaud you ladies for delivering naturally! I also have (severe perianal) fistulas and my docs wont really give me any other option but csection for fear of causing trauma to the area. I've had 1 healthy baby by csection and another one planned for this fall.

Each of us is unique and each pregnancy is unique. All I can say is... prepare your body carefully. Build up your immune system and get on a treatment plan that works for you so you can be in full remission before trying to give birth naturally. At least then you'll have a good start =) Good luck!

I have had two surgeries for rectovaginal fistula and am currently undergoing fertility treatments. I have been told by my doctor that I will have to have a c-section or I will risk developing another fistula.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
I had a peri-anal and recto-vaginal fistula while pregnant - and opted for a c-section to avoid any comnplications from tearing etc.....had a problem-free pregnancy too! My little bundle will be graduating Kindergarten in 2 weeks!

Hey Ladies, I just discovered my first RV fistula yesterday and I am so sad. It's somewhere in the center of the birth canal. How are you ladies and your fistulas doing? I knew something was wrong when I felt throbbing down there. :( How can I avoid these? I noticed the throbbing and rectal symptoms got worse with Prednisone. Is my sex life over? :(

Hi all.... totally nervous... I just found out I had a rvf and am pregnant, only 8 weeks. I had my first issue with an rvf after the birth of my daughter seven years ago.... then had surgery and an ileo. and reversal. I was pretty symptom free for about 2 years thought I was fine. Then bam, I am pregnant and there it is a rvf.... has anyone had a rvf appear during a pregnancy and did it get worse???? any comments welcomed.

Hello! I know this is a very old thread, but would love to hear more about your experience with vaginal delivery with an RVF. I am still undecided between elective c section and early induction both at 38 weeks...which is 2 weeks away!

Lydia is right. I had a vaginal delivery with a recto-veg fistula, and everything went fine. No problems at all, just blood coming out my butt when I pushed, tee-hee.