• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Travelling and Crohn's

J

jyarmo

Have you ever had Crohn's flair ups/incidents while travelling or on vacation? How did you deal with it?

I have never had flair ups while out of town. I am extra careful regarding what I eat, however to ensure I do not start getting a flair up!

D

doubledown

I have had some trouble on the airplane before. It was almost comical at how everyone thought I was just afraid to fly and were telling me to relax. I was stuck between trying to tell everyone that I was not acting this way because I was scared of flying and just riding out the pain. Why is it when you are in the most pain that everything seems to go bad at once? All of a sudden I start hearing babies cry and the person infront of me keeps tilting their seat back. I almost wanted to laugh, but the pain was too much. After a while things calmed down though, but I was getting pretty nervous for a while there.

cookey

Mama Crohnie
I had a few flare ups while on vacation, My first one was my trip to Florida. I was so excited about going to Disney, and stressed at the same time..that I had a flare up. It actually wasnt anything major...my major time was in Nova Scotia, where I spent a month in the hospital. Now who likes to spend time living on jello in a different province, wasn't fun...but I made it through.

J

Janet

I just got back from Mexico yesterday and there were a few days when I didn't feel that good. When I travel, I make extra sure to stay away from foods I know will aggrivate my symptoms. Other than that, I guess you could say I just "play through the pain" and suck it up.

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
When I came back from Mexico I had "the runs" really bad for a week. This was really strange for me since with Crohn's constipation was always a problem for me. I do not know if this was due to my condition or the mexican food though.