• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Scope away from home

Long time, no post! Unfortunately though I rarely come back here with good news. Long story short, my last scope was about four years ago, and though I'm well aware that I'm overdue, for the last year and a half I haven't lived in one place for more than a few months at a time, which makes scheduling things a bit difficult. But, of course, my body has decided to catch up with me -- I've had a bout of bright red bleeding and am working on setting an appointment with my GI in my latest temporary hometown (who I don't much like, but that's another story) who has been reminding me for the last few months that a scope is necessary. So I have a good feeling that regardless of what a more cursory look will show, she's going to make a stronger push for a scope.

I've had two done before, so mostly I'm just looking for advice in terms of how to handle this away from home. I'm on an internship in Florida, where I basically live in college dorm-like housing. Two bedrooms, two bathrooms, four people in the apartment. My family is all back up in New York, and I don't exactly feel close enough to roommates or coworkers down here to ask them to drive me back and forth to wherever the procedure will take place. My mom had said that whenever the scope happens she'd fly down and get a hotel room for the time of the prep, but she just had her gallbladder out about two weeks ago and I'm not sure how advisable travel would really be.

Any tips or advice would be appreciated, especially if anyone has been in a similar situation before. I'm half tempted to see if I could just fly home for a weekend and have it done with my longterm GI from NY, who I've had a much better relationship, but I'm unsure of that, too.

Long time, no post! Unfortunately though I rarely come back here with good news. Long story short, my last scope was about four years ago, and though I'm well aware that I'm overdue, for the last year and a half I haven't lived in one place for more than a few months at a time, which makes scheduling things a bit difficult. But, of course, my body has decided to catch up with me -- I've had a bout of bright red bleeding and am working on setting an appointment with my GI in my latest temporary hometown (who I don't much like, but that's another story) who has been reminding me for the last few months that a scope is necessary. So I have a good feeling that regardless of what a more cursory look will show, she's going to make a stronger push for a scope.

I've had two done before, so mostly I'm just looking for advice in terms of how to handle this away from home. I'm on an internship in Florida, where I basically live in college dorm-like housing. Two bedrooms, two bathrooms, four people in the apartment. My family is all back up in New York, and I don't exactly feel close enough to roommates or coworkers down here to ask them to drive me back and forth to wherever the procedure will take place. My mom had said that whenever the scope happens she'd fly down and get a hotel room for the time of the prep, but she just had her gallbladder out about two weeks ago and I'm not sure how advisable travel would really be.

Any tips or advice would be appreciated, especially if anyone has been in a similar situation before. I'm half tempted to see if I could just fly home for a weekend and have it done with my longterm GI from NY, who I've had a much better relationship, but I'm unsure of that, too.

Would you consider doing it without sedation? I had my first one ever without sedation or pain relief last week and it was absolutely fine, slightly painful at one point and that was about it.

Trysha

Staff member
If home is most comfortable and you like the GI then why not go from there.
It might be good for your mum too since she is recovering from surgery.
Whatever you choose to do I wish you all the best and hope you soon make a decision
Hugs
Trysha

Bufford

I would seriously consider flying home and having your doctor who is familiar with your system and condition to do the procedure, rather than a doctor who is not

A belated update -- my November symptoms went away and haven't returned, but I'm set to have a scope on Friday with my home GI. Prep starts tomorrow, and hopefully all will be well!