• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Juicing causing pains?

So I bought a juicer. I've been using it for one week making juices with different combos of apples, pears, pineapple, carrots, and oranges and have really liked it. It certainly makes the pills go down easier. I drink one glass of juice per day.

I've been having what I can best describe as an "ache" in my terminal ileum area since diagnosis in February. Relief has been slow, but as of last week I finally noticed there were a few periods throughout the day where the ache would disappear! Which was exciting to me. Fast forward to yesterday and today: the ache is back, and feels worse than it has in weeks. I've noticed a slight increase in trapped gas. This morning I had a stomachache as well. Could this be caused by the juicing? The only other change to my diet (which is low-residue) has been some chocolate sponge candy, I've been eating about 1 piece per day since Easter. I've handled chocolate ice cream in the past with no problem. Has anyone else had pain with juicing?

My backstory: http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=61125

Last edited:

nogutsnoglory

The juice has no fiber so it should be fine but it can certainly Increase gas or the fast transit may bother you. It shouldn't be of any danger but may be uncomfortable. The choc sponge thing doesn't sound like a great idea if it really is anything like a sponge.

nogutsnoglory

I'm not sure that treat is great if you have any narrowing or inflammation. If you *need* it maybe you can have hot tea with It to help break it down and move it along faster.

It's possible the sugar overload is giving your bad gut flora a feast. It's really hard to know but you juicing is important. Perhaps add a probiotic to help adjust your gut flora?

I saw a dietitian who said cookies or pudding would be a good snack on a low residue diet. I figured one piece of candy would be fine. Are you saying that because the sugar is problematic? The center part dissolves in your mouth if you meant because of texture. Also I take two Florajen3 probiotic pills per day.

the gas is probably the by-product of bacteria feeding on sugar and farting with joyous abandon.
The pain may be caused by the gas.
Try cutting back the sugar, juicing more vegetables and less fruit, and avoiding processed starches (pasta, bread, cake, cookies)
Check out paleo-ish diets ("perfect health diet" is a good intro to real food/paleo/ancestral but is NOT low-carb....)

Not sure one could do paleo and low residue... That would just be a diet of meat, no?
Hmmmmm, Meat.......
how 'bout meat, juice and safe carbs to begin with? (yes you can eat carbs on paleo, just paleo carbs) then adding other foods as healing occurs........

SCD/GAPS have intro diets that start with low residue and well cooked foods and slowly introduce other foods as healing occurs

This podcast covers paleo low-residue from 8:51 to 19:46 - make sure you listen right up to the end (16.30 to 19:46)
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/balanc...43-fodmaps-ages-cooking-skin-wedding-fat-loss
"if she wants to eat nothing but sweet potato and fish.....that's fine, just getting over to real foods......"

This topic has been discussed a bit before.......
http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=50830

I agree with Charleigh about the beef, many cannot tolerate it. I don't eat it because i don't really like it, so i eat mountains of lamb instead.
"Most likely he has a beef allergy which is actually an allergy to a certain tick, acquired through tick bites, but the antibodies cross-react with beef sugars." - Paul Jaminet

check this out, might make some sense.....
Bowel Disorders, Part I: About Gut Disease (part 1 0f 4)
http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2010/07/ulcerative-colitis-a-devastating-gut-disease/

Last edited:
So I bought a juicer. I've been using it for one week making juices with different combos of apples, pears, pineapple, carrots, and oranges and have really liked it.
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]Bit of a mixture there for a beginner.

May cause internal wind, which will be painful.

Too many fruits too.

Try simpler recipes:

Carrot and ginger root juice

Carrot and baby spinach leaf juice

Celery and cucumber juice