• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fevers

I began 25mg MTX injections 5 weeks ago. I've had fevers along the way however, this past week I can't escape a moderate fever. No other side effects I could say other than these fevers and the feeling like I've got the worst hangover/flu ever the 24-48hrs post injection..joint pain and extreme fatigue. Anyone experience fevers? I was told I can take Tylenol but it doesn't do anything...still fevered.

Last edited:
Aw thank you!!! It's been pretty crazy. My life has been flipped upsidedown. I'm a marathon runner and cyclist which all came to a screeching halt this year. I'm 40yrs old next month. I've worked fulltime for 10yrs, raised 3 kids, and since May I've lost 40 pounds, become malnourished and underweight, and had to take a leave of absence from work since July. Emotionally, mentally, physically, financially its been rough! But, I'm a ridiculous optimist so I remain positive, grateful for the things that matter, and hopeful that I will get to a place of remission.
But, in the meantime lol...these fevers.ugh

Optimism has to be one of the best things out there for so many things so well done on remaining positive! I hope you feel better.
Thank you Megan!!!
I have an update. My other half tracked down my gi dr at work today. (we both work at our hospital though I've been on a leave since July) They discussed my fever and my Dr immediately was concerned and said I shouldn't be fevered like this. So he gave my other half a requisition for blood work and a new script for pill form metho at a lower dose to take instead of injections for the next 4 weeks. Then said to call him after next week's dose to update. Hoping the fever goes away but the blood work should rule out or confirm if it's just the metho or something else. Anyhow, I'm so thankful he chatted with him. Here I was feeling down cuz he had to work today and all I wanted to do was cuddle in bed lol 😁

my little penguin

Staff member
Hopefully the fatigue will lessen
Ds did horrid on the injection
But did better on the pill form
Adding folate at 2 mg a day versus folic acid at 1 mg

Made a big difference in side effects for Ds
Good luck

That's super interesting about the folate vrs folic acid. I take 1mg folic acid, and a b-vitmans mix daily except for injection day.
I'm gonna chose to be optimistic about switching to pill form. It truly is awful post injection... I dread it. I feel like I'm dying for 24-48hrs.

I am so sorry to hear, i can relate to the fevers but i can not relate on the meds. I get alot of fevers and yet i dont know whats wrong they did put me on antibiotics a while back and still nothing still fevers they might run some test for fistulas , i also struggle with fatigue all the time but yet again my iron are normal now and thyroid are in normal range so it is scary. I also recently started with joint pain. Anyway i just wanted to say i hope you feel better soon:)

I am so sorry to hear, i can relate to the fevers but i can not relate on the meds. I get alot of fevers and yet i dont know whats wrong they did put me on antibiotics a while back and still nothing still fevers they might run some test for fistulas , i also struggle with fatigue all the time but yet again my iron are normal now and thyroid are in normal range so it is scary. I also recently started with joint pain. Anyway i just wanted to say i hope you feel better soon:)

Thank you Christi. I have been getting fevers since June, but would always respond to Tyleno. Before my crohns diagnosis, I was treated with 3 courses of different antibiotics and didn't improve. This eventually led to q colonoscopy which found the crohns. Anyhow, still fevered... See my gp today and I've decided to ask for pain killers because my joint pain is just excruciating... Between that pain and the constant fever, I can't sleep! :-( I'm honestly just so miserable right now.
I sure hope they find the source of your fevers soon...fistulas can definitely Be the culprit. Also, fatigue is so common with this disease.. It's relentless. Hugs to you.

Thank you DanaBanana i hope so this is horrible if you dont know whats wrong. I do hope that your doc can get you sorted soon. Please keep us updated. hugs to you

Thanks Christi. I had a meltdown in my Dr office. I was just so done. He was awesome. He ordered more lab stuff so I have to go to the hospital lab tomorrow. He prescribed me tramacet. Told to take it every 6hrs for the next 2 days. Then followup to check the fever's. If the lab results show anything suspicious then we take it from there. MTX dose is Thursday evening...he gave me maxeran for incase I develop nausea.
Hoping the tramacet works. *crossing fingers* hugs right back atcha!

I have flash fevers of about one degree one to 5 times a day. No infections are going on as I've been on many rounds since my surgery diverting from my j-pouch to a permanent ileostomy. Do any of you have fevers that come and go like this? I know they aren't hot flashes as I am postmenopausal and know what hot flashed are.

Several of you mentioned fatigue. I have fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndromes. Have you been checked out for this? It is frustrating if you don't know what is causing a symptom when you have overlapping diseases and syndromes.

I hope everything works better now. Good Luck

I do get fever flashes too on top of reg fevers. Not sure why that is. I wouldn't describe them as hot flashes either. Very interesting about the chronic fatigue syndrome. I've just assumed mine is related to my crohns and RA. Who knows! I feel like my illness just keeps compounding. This disease and then let's add another, and another lol what can ya do? Roll with it. ;-)

The tramacet has helped my pain but doesn't promote sleep for me. Between my brain activity all night contemplating anything and most everything, and the fever's, I am just sleeping in hoursish long increments all night. Sucks! I was in hospital yesterday for tests. I swear they drained me of most of my blood for The blood cultures. Little worried about those results..was obsessing about "what if I have leukemia!?" last night. I'm ridiculous. The brain fog and exhaustion is taking a toll. My objective today is to find sleep somehow. Maybe I should just smoke a bowl....at least weed is "natural" lol
In good news, because I hate to leave things all whiny, the sun is shining here and it's even warmish out. We don't get much sunshine in the winter months here so I'm gonna bundle up and soak in some rays. Good for the soul. :)

Did your lab results help? I hope so. It's not that we want anything to be wrong but want to find something that is curable! I pushed myself too much after my UC diagnosis plus the 6 months of prednisone helped me into fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue. I hope you find a way to have restful sleep. It's a lot easier said than done, especially when our minds are racing.

Nothing yet. I have an appt on Monday with my GP on Monday so I should know more then. It's been rough..I seriously thought I was dying for a few days last week, Sleep is a little better with the exception of last night because it was MTX night. Tonight should be better. Im surprising my honey with tickets to Star Wars tomorrow so need to rest up. Such an effort to do anything in this state.
Thanks for thinking of me. Means a lot. How are you doing?

Good! My birthday is this week and I am thinking about getting tickets for it at the IMAX here. They don't go on sale again until Monday. Hope you had/have fun.

Thanks for asking about me. I went to a Permanent ileostomy 3+ months ago. Am having a difficult time skirting dehydration and all that comes with that. Like headaches, nausea, racing heart, dry mouth & eyes plus emptying the damn bag all the time. I don't think the flash fevers are due to the ileo as I had them before that surgery. I am doing much better than before the surgery.

It helps to look back a month or more to see if we are doing better. Far from where we want to be but better is better.

I hope your appointment Monday helps.

Good! My birthday is this week and I am thinking about getting tickets for it at the IMAX here. They don't go on sale again until Monday. Hope you had/have fun.

Thanks for asking about me. I went to a Permanent ileostomy 3+ months ago. Am having a difficult time skirting dehydration and all that comes with that. Like headaches, nausea, racing heart, dry mouth & eyes plus emptying the damn bag all the time. I don't think the flash fevers are due to the ileo as I had them before that surgery. I am doing much better than before the surgery.

It helps to look back a month or more to see if we are doing better. Far from where we want to be but better is better.

I hope your appointment Monday helps.
Happy Birthday! Definitely get the tickets...we saw it in 3D Xtreme which is close to an IMAX experience. It was amazing. My childhood reincarnated lol

I'm glad you're doing better...but I understand the whole dealing with another set of issues. How frequently does the bag need to be emptied? Can you tolerate Gatorade or perhaps making your own electrolyte drink? My sister sent me a recipe for a few ages ago and it's pretty tasty.
You're right...looking back helps, though I'm not there yet. The past two weeks I've felt even worse than when this all began. Add to this now night sweats and nausea. Ugh I'm hoping the Dr appt can shed some light on things.
Hugs

Happy Birthday to you too.! I use 3 different electrolyte replacement things as in tabs, concentrated liquid and a powdered one to put in my water all day long. If you could send me your sister' s recipe I would appreciate it. Don't go to any extra work if you don't know where it is.

I would like to take my grandsons, daughter and husband to see it but I'm thinking the 5 year old is probably too young to see it. What do you think? It it too scarry for him?

Happy Birthday to you too.! I use 3 different electrolyte replacement things as in tabs, concentrated liquid and a powdered one to put in my water all day long. If you could send me your sister' s recipe I would appreciate it. Don't go to any extra work if you don't know where it is.

I would like to take my grandsons, daughter and husband to see it but I'm thinking the 5 year old is probably too young to see it. What do you think? It it too scarry for him?
Its rated PG. But, I'd probably suggest asking your daughter because it really depends on what your grandson is used to. I found it less violent than some of the Marvel movies. My stepson is 6.5yrs and we will take him. Times are different it seems. My kids are 20,19 & 16....I wouldn't let them watch it at that age, but that being said, I watched star wars for the first time at age 8. Lol

I will find the recipe for you. I'm happy to share it. :)

Homemade Electrolyte Drink:

1/2 orange juice
1/4 lemon juice
2 cups water
2 tbsp raw honey
1/8 tsp Celtic Sea Salt

I used a different sea salt the first time I made it because that's what I had at the time. :)

Thanks for recipe :)

My daughter says there were a lot of kids at school that have seen it so now my husband is trying to find a screening time. I have been to only a few movies the last 5 years. In other words since my colon was removed.

How did it go with your doctor yesterday?

Thanks for recipe :)

My daughter says there were a lot of kids at school that have seen it so now my husband is trying to find a screening time. I have been to only a few movies the last 5 years. In other words since my colon was removed.

How did it go with your doctor yesterday?
Dr appt was okay. More blood work done to check my liver, wbc count, and inflammation levels for RA. Nurse blew my vein so that hurt...she was not pleasant. I told her, "um you blew my vein" to.which she replied " No, it's fine". So I'm sporting a a giant bruise in my elbow pit and it's still sore. The oKidney function is good but the blood culture results went to my other Dr so my gp said he'd call him, but not to worry as no news is generally good news.
Still fevered...MTX was last night so feeling like garbage today. Didn't get much sleep last night so just had a nap and now I feel grumpy lol my kids are with their Dad, stepson is with his mom, my honey is working... So I think I'm just missing everyone. Oh well, they'll all be home before I know it.
Merry Christmas to you and your family. How are you doing?
Xo

I'm okay. Today is the calm before the storm coming tomorrow! Our 2 kids, their spousespouse's and 3 grandkids are coming. We are doing pizzas to feed all so no big meal preparation.

I wish you had all of your results. It bugs me when my fevers aren't a concern for my doctors. Something is causing them. I am better since my Endocrinologist lowered my thyroid medication.

Hopefully you will feel better a few days.

I'm okay. Today is the calm before the storm coming tomorrow! Our 2 kids, their spousespouse's and 3 grandkids are coming. We are doing pizzas to feed all so no big meal preparation.

I wish you had all of your results. It bugs me when my fevers aren't a concern for my doctors. Something is causing them. I am better since my Endocrinologist lowered my thyroid medication.

Hopefully you will feel better a few days.
How was the holidays, Marie? How are you feeling?

I had to reschedule my Dr appt from yesterday to Wednesday because we had a terrible blizzard all day and the roads were treacherous. My Dr is in the town just north of where I live...only 15 or so Mins away from me but to get there I habe to drive the main hwy. Both the radio and local news was announcing to avoid the hwy unless absolutely necessary. So, Wednesday it is. My honey can drive me that day as he's got the day off.
No change for me thus far. Still fevered and not sleeping much. I was in tears last night because my hips hurt so badly I could barely walk. This morning it's my ankles, toes, and shoulders. Always something aching. My sister who lives in Alberta, is an Rn...she has been my brain through all this. Exhaustion and brain fog from the mtx leave me struggling to think clearly most days...so, she is often helping me stay on track with everything. So each Dr visit I bring up what my sister has suggested...thankfully my Dr understands this so doesn't get annoyed. Lol. If I were him, I'd likely find it annoying if my patient was constantly saying "So, my sister has suggested blah blah blah" lol Maybe it helps too that after I mention her suggestions I ask him what he thinks about it. ;-)
Anyhow, other than that, just getting through this week. Sunday I will turn 40..yikes..nothing planned but to watch football to see my Seattle Seahawks win over the Vikings haha maybe my older kids will come over later. I decided not to.have a party right now because I'm feeling so sick. I'm going to though at a later date...it's a good opportunity to have friends come visit as I haven't been able to get out much or haven't had the energy or stamina. I know a gathering would help my spirit however so I will plan something soon.
Oh and I got amazing news on Christmas Eve. After months and months of stressful paperwork, waiting, and struggling to make ends meet, I got the news that my Long term disability through work was approved. Payment begins January 15. What a relief and miracle. Hooray!!!!! :)

How was the holidays, Marie? How are you feeling?

I had to reschedule my Dr appt from yesterday to Wednesday because we had a terrible blizzard all day and the roads were treacherous. My Dr is in the town just north of where I live...only 15 or so Mins away from me but to get there I habe to drive the main hwy. Both the radio and local news was announcing to avoid the hwy unless absolutely necessary. So, Wednesday it is. My honey can drive me that day as he's got the day off.
No change for me thus far. Still fevered and not sleeping much. I was in tears last night because my hips hurt so badly I could barely walk. This morning it's my ankles, toes, and shoulders. Always something aching. My sister who lives in Alberta, is an Rn...she has been my brain through all this. Exhaustion and brain fog from the mtx leave me struggling to think clearly most days...so, she is often helping me stay on track with everything. So each Dr visit I bring up what my sister has suggested...thankfully my Dr understands this so doesn't get annoyed. Lol. If I were him, I'd likely find it annoying if my patient was constantly saying "So, my sister has suggested blah blah blah" lol Maybe it helps too that after I mention her suggestions I ask him what he thinks about it. ;-)
Anyhow, other than that, just getting through this week. Sunday I will turn 40..yikes..nothing planned but to watch football to see my Seattle Seahawks win over the Vikings haha maybe my older kids will come over later. I decided not to.have a party right now because I'm feeling so sick. I'm going to though at a later date...it's a good opportunity to have friends come visit as I haven't been able to get out much or haven't had the energy or stamina. I know a gathering would help my spirit however so I will plan something soon.
Oh and I got amazing news on Christmas Eve. After months and months of stressful paperwork, waiting, and struggling to make ends meet, I got the news that my Long term disability through work was approved. Payment begins January 15. What a relief and miracle. Hooray!!!!! :)
Great news.

My gp prescribed morphine for pain right now and sent me for hip xrays as that pain has grown acute and I can hardly walk. I got those done on Saturday,to check for osteonecrosis. I don't have the results yet. My gi dr then called Friday and added a Tb skin test and chest xray, both of which which I'm getting done today. He's being thorough in light of the relentless fevers.
Birthday was yesterday, turned 40 and watched my Seattle Seahawks win, from the comfort of my recliner lol

Hi Dana & others,

I have CD now for about 20 years. In the ileum. 2 resections. I am on mtx now for about a year now. It has arrested the CD, for the most part but just recently I have felt the ileum start to throb again. I am am presently on 0.6cc Sandoz mtx weekly. 5mg pill of folic acid 2 days after my injection.
I do not get fevers, but I do get nausea all the time. 2nd,3rd day after injection is the worst. Worst is when my stomach is empty, in the morning.
A lot to read, in your case, i did come across a few statement, I can add my experience.
"Maybe I should just smoke a bowl....at least weed is "natural" lol"
"Exhaustion and brain fog from the mtx leave me struggling to think clearly most days"

If you are in a fog from mtx, then might as well add to the fog and help with some of the other symptoms, so Dr Rick suggests to try ....
Get a vapourizer, I use a vapour daddy &/or try some of that high CBD extract, tinctures or oil are suggestions. Look into Rick Simpson oil and read the threads in the MM section. I can say MM is the least toxic to you body of all that BIG pharma can offer.
Suggest to read these threads linked below, FrancisK7, Darster experiences/information, very interesting, as I only read them today.

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=65002

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=73489"

Good Luck
Rick

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm back on injections after switching from it to pill form. The pill was awful. No nausea for me with injections. Feeling like I'm a million years old today. Just trashed. I have a Gi appt on Tuesday so we shall see what the next step is but I'm going to being up medicinal marijuana. If anything for pain control. Thanks dr Rick for your input. ;-)

I think part of my problem is withdrawl on days I am not taking the maximum dose of Norco. I have to be dependent on them after 5 years. It's not like I am going cold turkey on myself. It's taking 3 instead of 4 or 5 pills. I don't get high from them and the days of less pain are few. I feel doomed. Every time I need a procedure or surgery I expect the results will also reduce my pain.
My doctors blow off the chills and fevers as they are not over 100 degrees and I often have a UTI as well.

I have nausea too but think it's a symptom I am becoming dehydrated. I have to take prescribed medication PRN or I toss my cookies. I'm glad that you are doing better with the injections. I have migraines too but the medication I'm on usually keeps the headaches away. Nausea can be worse than headaches. The kind of nausea that is worse than any hang over I had back in the day.

I need beter ways of relieve my pain and misery.

I think part of my problem is withdrawl on days I am not taking the maximum dose of Norco. I have to be dependent on them after 5 years. It's not like I am going cold turkey on myself. It's taking 3 instead of 4 or 5 pills. I don't get high from them and the days of less pain are few. I feel doomed. Every time I need a procedure or surgery I expect the results will also reduce my pain.
My doctors blow off the chills and fevers as they are not over 100 degrees and I often have a UTI as well.

I have nausea too but think it's a symptom I am becoming dehydrated. I have to take prescribed medication PRN or I toss my cookies. I'm glad that you are doing better with the injections. I have migraines too but the medication I'm on usually keeps the headaches away. Nausea can be worse than headaches. The kind of nausea that is worse than any hang over I had back in the day.

I need beter ways of relieve my pain and misery.
Hugssss. I've been nauseated for the past two days. Upping my H2o as we speak.

My gi dr appt went alright. I've be so friggen sick. The've decided my constant fevers are just part of the crohns, determined my crohns is worse than initially thought, and decided to begin Humira in addition to the weekly MTX. I get my loading dose tomorrow and the later in the evening, my usual mtx. Curious how shitty I'm gonna feel above my usual trash after mtx. I have the morphine I can take every 4 hrs but I only take it at night. Maxeran for nausea which I have been taking more of the last couple days. Ativan for the anxiety that keeps me sleepless at night. I'm super depressed right now...angry, actually. I'm angry about all of this. I know anger passes and it pisses me off that it's not passing fast enough. I just want to run away from life for a few days. Love my family, but I just want to be alone in my misery. Not permanently, just for a few days. Sigh. My rainbows and butterflies outlook is strained at the moment. Its a rare occurrence for me and makes me super uncomfortable but all I can do is roll with it.

Cheers to us gloom and dormers lol

I'm glad they are paying attention to your problems. There are several gal's that unfortunately discovered they had crohn's vs UC, after getting their coloectomies and j-pouches. Humira has been a God send for them. They like it better than Remacaid as they give themselves shots instead of infusions. I hope it works well for you too.

I know how you feel. There are many things you want to do for your family and the gas is just not there. Our adrenaline can only take us so far until none left :( please don't overdo things. I worry that others will push themselves into fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue, like I did. So take care of you and hopefully you are past the worst of it.

Our kids are adults now but I needed a break several years ago. I went to a fellow j-poucher's home for 10 days 3,000 miles away. She went to work everyday and did her normal evening activities while I took it easy & It was great. No one expected anything from me. If I'd visited family or close friends it would have stressed me. Maybe you can get some "you" time to recoup in a similar way after things srttle down. It's difficult to go that far away from your doctors when your treatment plan is evolving. You will get through this. You know how to be a fighter and will beat back that nasty IBD!

Hugssss. I've been nauseated for the past two days. Upping my H2o as we speak.

My gi dr appt went alright. I've be so friggen sick. The've decided my constant fevers are just part of the crohns, determined my crohns is worse than initially thought, and decided to begin Humira in addition to the weekly MTX. I get my loading dose tomorrow and the later in the evening, my usual mtx. Curious how shitty I'm gonna feel above my usual trash after mtx. I have the morphine I can take every 4 hrs but I only take it at night. Maxeran for nausea which I have been taking more of the last couple days. Ativan for the anxiety that keeps me sleepless at night. I'm super depressed right now...angry, actually. I'm angry about all of this. I know anger passes and it pisses me off that it's not passing fast enough. I just want to run away from life for a few days. Love my family, but I just want to be alone in my misery. Not permanently, just for a few days. Sigh. My rainbows and butterflies outlook is strained at the moment. Its a rare occurrence for me and makes me super uncomfortable but all I can do is roll with it.

Cheers to us gloom and dormers lol
Hope you are feeling better soon.

I would love a little getaway. But in.saying that, I'd love al ittle getaway with just my man and I more. Life is too busy right now. Making the time isn't impossible, just not in the cards right now. But I'm dreaming. ;-)

Dreaming is good. When we quit dreaming that is the time to worry. I hope the new drugs agree with you and do their job. Maybe you can plan a getaway with your hubby. Even if takes awhile to get there it's good to dream. :rosette2: