• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Stress

Hey all!

How do you all deal with stress? I'm having an awful few weeks at work, pretty much everything that could have give wrong has.

It's going to be weeks before this starts settling down. In the meantime we're working very long hours. I tried to have a lunch break today but after 5 attempts I gave up.

We really don't get a minutes peace. I've been skipping meals all week as a result which I know leads to problems for me. There just aren't enough hours in the day right now!

Any advice for me until this calms down? I'm incredibly stressed and worrying for the next few weeks as a result [emoji51]

Thanks in advance!

Something I have been doing as of recent is listening to sounds on YouTube(rain, firewood noises, ocean). I've tried the whole meditation videos but I have a hard time focusing when someone is telling me to breath---and then knowing another instruction is coming I can't focus. Doesn't work all the time but it's something I'm trying with my most recent flare..

Something I have been doing as of recent is listening to sounds on YouTube(rain, firewood noises, ocean). I've tried the whole meditation videos but I have a hard time focusing when someone is telling me to breath---and then knowing another instruction is coming I can't focus. Doesn't work all the time but it's something I'm trying with my most recent flare..

Very good thinking, I have an app that does this but I forget to use it! I do have hobbies but it's a bit weather dependent and it's pretty much dark and raining here for the next 6 weeks at least [emoji31]

I did bulk cook a load of meals last night so that should help, I've just got to reheat them when I get home. No excuses!

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Sometimes just closing your eyes and taking deep breaths for a minute or two can help a lot! I've been stressed with job stuff myself lately (there are shakeups at work and there are likely some layoffs coming soon or best case scenario there are big changes coming) so I'm trying to do deep breathing every day. I think it's helping, I was crying earlier and then I did 5 mins of deep breathing and I feel somewhat better now.

Exercise always helps me relieve stress, but I realize that's not always possible. If you're able to, get outside for walks on nice days. You'll get vitamin D from the sun, and walking itself is very good both for the guts and for stress relief. I read that there's a Japanese concept called "forest bathing" in which you literally just go to a forest and soak it all in - the quiet, the calm, etc. Now I try to go take a walk through a forest whenever possible. I think that helps a lot.

Here's a link with more info about forest bathing. I'm not sure about all the "scientifically proven" things that this link claims, as you'd probably get similar health benefits from taking a walk just about anywhere, and it's probably much more about the walking than it is the forest. Still, it is nice and peaceful to go to the forest.
http://www.shinrin-yoku.org/shinrin-yoku.html

When I'm not able to get out for walks, I like reading books about other people's adventures, especially when it comes to hiking. I read Wild by Cheryl Strayed (which chronicled her walk on the Pacific Crest Trail) and now I'm reading Awol on the Appalachian Trail. If I can't get out and hike, I like to be inspired by others who take super long hikes! :p But of course reading whatever books you like should help you escape from reality for a bit and help relieve some of that stress.

As for skipping meals, I'm glad to hear you're doing some meal prep. I try to make sure I always have some safe snacks in my desk drawer at work - things like rice cakes, packets of oatmeal, microwaveable rice bowls, etc. I also stop at a grocery store on Monday mornings before work and buy myself a few bananas for the week. Even if you're not always able to eat a proper meal at lunchtime, you could still have some relatively healthy and belly-friendly snacks.

Sometimes just closing your eyes and taking deep breaths for a minute or two can help a lot! I've been stressed with job stuff myself lately (there are shakeups at work and there are likely some layoffs coming soon or best case scenario there are big changes coming) so I'm trying to do deep breathing every day. I think it's helping, I was crying earlier and then I did 5 mins of deep breathing and I feel somewhat better now.

Exercise always helps me relieve stress, but I realize that's not always possible. If you're able to, get outside for walks on nice days. You'll get vitamin D from the sun, and walking itself is very good both for the guts and for stress relief. I read that there's a Japanese concept called "forest bathing" in which you literally just go to a forest and soak it all in - the quiet, the calm, etc. Now I try to go take a walk through a forest whenever possible. I think that helps a lot.

Here's a link with more info about forest bathing. I'm not sure about all the "scientifically proven" things that this link claims, as you'd probably get similar health benefits from taking a walk just about anywhere, and it's probably much more about the walking than it is the forest. Still, it is nice and peaceful to go to the forest.

http://www.shinrin-yoku.org/shinrin-yoku.html

When I'm not able to get out for walks, I like reading books about other people's adventures, especially when it comes to hiking. I read Wild by Cheryl Strayed (which chronicled her walk on the Pacific Crest Trail) and now I'm reading Awol on the Appalachian Trail. If I can't get out and hike, I like to be inspired by others who take super long hikes! :p But of course reading whatever books you like should help you escape from reality for a bit and help relieve some of that stress.

As for skipping meals, I'm glad to hear you're doing some meal prep. I try to make sure I always have some safe snacks in my desk drawer at work - things like rice cakes, packets of oatmeal, microwaveable rice bowls, etc. I also stop at a grocery store on Monday mornings before work and buy myself a few bananas for the week. Even if you're not always able to eat a proper meal at lunchtime, you could still have some relatively healthy and belly-friendly snacks.

Forest bathing sounds right up my street! I love the woods! As soon as the clocks go forward I am 100% trying that [emoji3]

I usually do have some snacks, but I've let the drawer run a bit low recently - oops! I'll get re-stocking that ASAP. I used to be an avid reader, in fact I've got an English Literature & Philosophy degree so that was some fairly heavy reading lol.

These days I'm glued to my phone before bed, I know that's not good so I'll be picking up the books again. My problem is I still buy the buggers and hardly ever get a chance to read them. I swore to myself I wasn't going to buy any new books until I'd read at least half the ones I've got waiting last year. I managed until the 30th of January. Still a record! [emoji6]

Today wasn't so bad. The last few weeks have been pretty terrible and Monday & Tuesday nearly broke me. When you're going flat out non stop at work and still not making any headway it's so disheartening. I'm actually almost looking forward to my colonoscopy now because I'll be off for the day! Ha ha.

Thanks, hope your situation works out for the best x

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Thank you Soph, the latest news at my workplace is that it sounds like my department should be safe, likely no layoffs for us. Phew! It's not official, and things could change, so I'm still a bit cautious, but it was very encouraging and a big relief to hear that we're probably safe.

I actually was looking forward to my last colonoscopy as well! I was hospitalized back in August for the worst flare I've ever had (so far anyway) - I couldn't digest anything, even eating one banana sent me running to the bathroom 10x with urgent watery diarrhea. So I was hospitalized and told to drink Go Lytely as I'd be having a colonoscopy the following day. The Go Lytely tasted like seawater, but it actually gave me less cramping and less urgency than food had been giving me! :p Seriously! It was a welcome relief. And the scope itself I was completely out for, sedation had failed me at my scope prior to that so I now get full anesthesia for scopes. So I got a nice rest and less cramping/urgency. It was like a mini vacation from my flare. ;)

I do hope things at your job calm down soon. If you can manage it, even a 5 minute break can help, just get away from your desk and go somewhere else in the building for a few minutes. I'm pretty fortunate, at my workplace there's a small gym in the basement for employee use. So sometimes I sneak away down there and just walk on the treadmill for a few minutes when I need a short break. If you don't have a handy gym nearby, you could just walk around the building, if there are stairs walk up and down the stairs, etc. Any little bit of walking that you can do is a good thing! :)