• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How to treat recurring mouth ulcers

I am awaiting my colonoscopy this week, but all signs point to Crohn's including my bloodwork which indicated bowel inflammation. i have constant diarrhea and have recurring mouth sores that none of my doctors can understand. i have tried numerous medication to help with the sores but no luck. any suggestions?

I had mouth sores issue also the year i been diagnosed for crohn's.
Didn't find any miracle product at the time, but some spray or cream were kinda helping but dont remember the names...

At the time i was 15 so had to go for a liquid nutrition to avoid steroids... probably if they conclude you have crohn's you'll start a steroid course which will certainly help.

I hope some member here can suggest you some other medication for the mouth sore in the meantime

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Mouth ulcers are a not uncommon extraintestinal manifestation of Crohn's. Many suffer with them when they are undiagnosed or flaring. My son suffered with them before being diagnosed and in his case B Complex supplements helped immensely.

Have a look at this thread, it has good suggestions contained within it...

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=19937

I usually use Anbesol (benzocaine) topically and use Listerine mouthwash to help get rid of them. I find using Listerine daily seems to keep them away...switched to another mouthwash and got a sore within a week! I have also heard rinsing with salt water can help, but I never really tried it.

i have tried numerous medication to help with the sores but no luck. any suggestions?
I found that Bonjela Teething Gel was pretty helpful. It is designed for babies and helps to numb.

Apart from that, I will swish Wild Oil of Oregano with warm water in my mouth. Ulcers clear up pretty quickly thereafter.

Recurring mouth ulcers, normally indicates a Iron and Zinc deficiency. So perhaps get tested for this, and then supplement if need be.

Most people with IBD are deficient or very low in Iron and Zinc.

This is from a naturopath I follow:

"If you are prone to mouth ulcers, it is important to boost your immune system. This can be done by routinely taking immune-enhancing herbs and supplements. These include vitamins C, A and Zinc and Iron, as well as herbs such as Echinacea, Astragalus and Wild Indigo. In addition, two B vitamins in particular – folic acid (B9) and thiamine (B1) – have been shown to heal and prevent mouth ulcers".

If you are struggling with eating, then smoothies are probably your best bet, as no need to chew.

Poor you. I hate having these mouth ulcers.

Almost forgot.

Another good thing for sores in mouth is : Oral Wheatgrass Spray.

I use "Dr Wheatgrass Recovery Spray"

Can be used externally for sunburns and internally for sore ulcers (or burns) in mouth.

I am awaiting my colonoscopy this week, but all signs point to Crohn's including my bloodwork which indicated bowel inflammation. i have constant diarrhea and have recurring mouth sores that none of my doctors can understand. i have tried numerous medication to help with the sores but no luck. any suggestions?
My doctor told me to try lysine for the mouth sores. You can find it in a drug store.

I found that Bonjela Teething Gel was pretty helpful. It is designed for babies and helps to numb.

Apart from that, I will swish Wild Oil of Oregano with warm water in my mouth. Ulcers clear up pretty quickly thereafter.

Recurring mouth ulcers, normally indicates a Iron and Zinc deficiency. So perhaps get tested for this, and then supplement if need be.

Most people with IBD are deficient or very low in Iron and Zinc.

This is from a naturopath I follow:

"If you are prone to mouth ulcers, it is important to boost your immune system. This can be done by routinely taking immune-enhancing herbs and supplements. These include vitamins C, A and Zinc and Iron, as well as herbs such as Echinacea, Astragalus and Wild Indigo. In addition, two B vitamins in particular – folic acid (B9) and thiamine (B1) – have been shown to heal and prevent mouth ulcers".

If you are struggling with eating, then smoothies are probably your best bet, as no need to chew.

Poor you. I hate having these mouth ulcers.
Try Lysine, you can buy in the drug store. My doctor told me about it.