• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Missed my prednisone this morning!

A

Anonymous User

I can't believe it, but I forgot to take my medication this morning. I have only been taking it for about 3 or 4 days, and I just completly forgot to take it this morning.

Is this bad? Should I take the medication now, or double tomorrow?

All help is appreciated.

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Do not worry. I have been in the same boat as you before.

If it is closer to when you normally take your medication than to when you will take it next, I have always been told that you should take your medication now then. If you are closer to the next time you would take the medication (tomorrow morning) than the time period you forgot, then just do not take the medication for the one day. Tomorrow just take your medication as you normally would, and defiantely do not take double the medication. You may find that you do feel a bit different without the medication, so you may want to be careful of everything you eat. Just listen to what your body is saying (literally if there are cramps!) and don't do anything overly adventerous.

J

jyarmo

Be careful...some medications specifically point out NOT to "double up" if you miss a dose. Call a pharmacist to double check for sure if you are not sure.

R

ReeRee

Mike is right on this one. But from now on, please try to remember to take it when you're supposed to. I don't want to freak ya out or anything, but it can be very dangerous to stop taking it cold turkey. It's ok if you forget a dose every now and then, but NEVER EVER just stop taking Prednisone on your own.

I won't preach anymore..lol. Just promise you'll try to remember. That stuff is some scary stuff. If anyone is interested in how Prednisone works, I'll be more than glad to share what I know. I just don't want to come off like a know it all or something. I also don't want to scare anybody who is taking it right now. I took it for 15 years without stopping and I have a lot of experience with it. So anybody that has any questions, just ask.

A

Anonymous User

Yeah I made the mistake once and hopefully never again!

Glad that is over with and am back on med's like normal. Thanks for all the help

cookey

Mama Crohnie
You're all absolutely right, !8 yrs experience with Prednisone...for such a little pill, it sure has big effects. Ree Ree couldn't be more correct in saying never ever just stop taking prednisone...Big huge mistake. They have to taper you off that medication...but I think Ree just mentioned that..lol. Ok, I'll be quiet now:p

D

Donna

Prednisone and me don't mix well. I wouldn't double up the dose, nor should you ever stop it on your own. My doc had a patient die from doing that after being on it for a little over a month (don't want to scare ya, but like I said, I am blunt). That medicine scares the heck out of me. I have only been off of it for 7 months since taking it in 2004. The side effects are AWFUL! I suffered from diabetes while on it this past time, with my sugar going as high as 290 without eating anything but the prednisone! So, they are going to try to keep me off of it for awhile, and try entecort if the Remicade doesn't work.

Wouldn't it be nice if this disease was text book and the meds easier to take??????

Donna

I missed a couple dose's of Prednisone recently and was curious if anyone else that had done that get's migraines that are so awful they feel like they are dying. My Prednisone dose as of right now is.

20mg- which I take 10mg twice a day.
any feedback would be much appreciated.

I missed a couple dose's of Prednisone recently and was curious if anyone else that had done that get's migraines that are so awful they feel like they are dying. My Prednisone dose as of right now is.

20mg- which I take 10mg twice a day.
any feedback would be much appreciated.
If you have forgotten to take your prednisone, your body is most likely feeling withdrawal symptoms. I have to taper so slowly off the prednisone or I will have either returning crohns symptoms (terrible pains in stomach) or terrible withdrawal effects as it sounds you are experiencing.

It is extremely important to figure out a way to NOT forget to take your prednisone! I took my prednisone all at once in the morning. Maybe check with your dr. if taking it once a day is an option for you, maybe that would help to remember? I know some meds out there aren't that strict about missing a dose but that is not the case with Prednisone. You have to be absolutely consistent!

I hope you are feeling better by now.

Thanks for your reply. I take the prednisone twice a day for one reason, this med screws with me bad. I can not sleep when I take it all at once, along with feeling like cap from the medicine itself. So many different side effects not worth even listing them. It's better for me to space it out during the day. I am now on 15mg a day starting the taper. Afraid once I get to 10 or 5mg I will start the flare once again. But seems ok for now.

How long did they say to take the 15mg before you taper even further? Just take it really slowly to let your body get used to producing its own cortisol. :hug:

Hmm. 5mg from 15mg is quite a big jump. Why not down to 10 at least? With the trouble that you have had, I would be tempted to go down in 2½ mg stages. (I had 25 years on Prednisolone, adjusting my own dosages - with full support of my GI - for much of that time.)

So yeah 5 mg lower each time a taper. I just want to be off this evil yet amazing medicine, and prolonging that by 2.5 mg each taper is just not an option for me.

So today I go down to 10mg of prednisone a day, this will be the big test. After a week on 15mg I am just starting to feel like the flare is not far behind me. Having a little pain but nothing I can't handle yet.