Crohn's Disease Forum » Parents of Kids with IBD » Confusing Fecal Calprotectin Results


10-20-2018, 08:58 PM   #1
kimmidwife
Forum Monitor
 
kimmidwife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Florida

My Support Groups:
Confusing Fecal Calprotectin Results

Hi All!
I have not been on the forum in a while. Life has been really crazy. Good news my older daughter is doing well on Stelara. Her Fecal Calprotectin is nondetectabke for the first time ever!
My little one on the other hand is having a lot of stomach pain and joint pain again. Her Fecal Calprotectin in June was nondetectable. Her symptoms started increasing in August. We did another Fecal Calprotectin the first week in September and was 435.
Her Humira levels were perfect though.
Her doctor decided we should just recheck the Fecal Calprotectin one month later. The new result is 245.
She continues to have symptoms. Her doctor says because it went back down he doesnít want to change her treatment at this time.
I am not sure if I should push or what.
Her disease was originally located in the terminal ileum on her original colonoscopy.
__________________

Crohn's Dx'ed Sept 08
Allerg Imuran Sept 08
Fail Remicade Jan 09
Methotrex Oct 09-Aug 11
Pentasa stopped - nosebleeds
EENOct 31 - Nov 28th. Too hard!
Retried Remicade Dec 11
Stopped due 2 Anaphylactic Reaction
LDN Jan 2012-June 2014 Got My daughter back!
New secondary diagnosis: Gastroporesis Dec 2013
Lost remission June 2014
Started Entyvio April 2015. Decreased to every 4 weeks October 2015. Praying for remission.
10-20-2018, 09:21 PM   #2
my little penguin
Forum Monitor
 
Join Date: Apr 2012

My Support Groups:
When was her last imaging /scopes ?
Fecal cal is just one tool
Our GI uses many tools(blood imaging scopes and fecal cal ) to determine WHY
There is an increase in symptoms and if change is needed or necessary
__________________
DS - -Crohn's -Stelara -mtx
10-21-2018, 09:07 PM   #3
kimmidwife
Forum Monitor
 
kimmidwife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Florida

My Support Groups:
She has not had scopes since diagnosis. Our doctor really tries to avoid putting the younger kids through scopes unless he sees a real reason for them.
She did have an MRE in April Which was normal.
10-21-2018, 10:51 PM   #4
crohnsinct
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: California

My Support Groups:
Fecal calprotectin is a highly variable test and can raise for reasons other than IBD. I think the fact it went down so much is encouraging and I would be o.k. with a wait and see approach but I wouldn't wait too long. I would want another fecal calprotectin in a months time to track things closely. I would also be watching symptoms.
__________________
Daughter O dx 2/1/12 at age 12
Crohns & Remicade induced Psoriasis
Remicade
Vit d 2000IU
Multi vitamin plus iron
Calcium

Previously used - Prednisone, Prevacid, Enteral Nutrition, Methotrexate oral and injections, Folic Acid, Probiotics, Cortofoam

Daughter T dx 1/2/15 at age 11
Vitaligo, Precoscious puberty & Crohn's
Remicade
Vit D 2000IU

Previously used, Exclusive Enteral Nutrition, Methotrexate (injections and oral), Folic Acid, Entocort,IBD-AID Diet
10-22-2018, 06:33 AM   #5
Pilgrim
Senior Member
 
Pilgrim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Ontario

My Support Groups:
I don't really have advice just dealing with the same for second dx kid. Pain is creeping back in but calpro looks fine. He is 10. He is on 40mg Humira biweekly.
He also is getting some noticeable fatigue.
I am waiting to see how it goes for a bit. Thinking about adding 50% EN maybe to see if it helps.
But I see you have had pain since August. Is she going to school or normal activities?
10-23-2018, 09:51 AM   #6
kimmidwife
Forum Monitor
 
kimmidwife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Florida

My Support Groups:
Pilgrim,
She is homeschooling which makes it a lot easier. She has been a lot more tired recently though.
We have an appt scheduled in exactly a month. I am going to ask him to order another FC to see if it changes.
I know disease location can really affect Fecal Calprotectin Results her disease was pretty much in the terminal ileum when she had her scopes three years ago.
10-23-2018, 10:44 AM   #7
my little penguin
Forum Monitor
 
Join Date: Apr 2012

My Support Groups:
Keep in mind Disease location and type of disease
Can and does change woth kids over a 10 year period
Thatís why scoping AND imaging are important
10-23-2018, 09:05 PM   #8
Pilgrim
Senior Member
 
Pilgrim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Ontario

My Support Groups:
Kimmidwife,
My son also had disease in TI at scopes about 10 months ago. And also an appointment in a month...
I did take him to a family doctor today. His abdo pain is now distracting him from life. Dr. called the specialist office and got the ball rolling with early labs and stool testing. We also may do a telemedicine visit with GI tomorrow.
It is smart to do these investigations before the specialist visit. Might be something to consider with your little one.
I wish we still homeschooled. Might have to look into it again.
I hope she feels better.
10-24-2018, 08:47 PM   #9
Maya142
Forum Monitor
 
Maya142's Avatar
I agree - I would ask for her Fecal Calprotectin to be done again in a month or so (before her appointment). I'd also log her symptoms - when does her belly hurt, where does it hurt, what her last meal/snack was etc.

Fwiw, my daughter has had inflammation all through her colon but her TI looked worst on scopes. Her Fecal Cal also tends to be on the lower side. We have figured out that when everything is good, her FC is 20-30. When she is flaring, her FC is usually in the 200-300 range, though once it was 480.

Because we know her "normal" is so low, her GI gets concerned when her FC is over 120 -150. Normally, for IBD kids, that's pretty low. But for M, it's is 5-6x her normal.
__________________
Mom of M (20)
diagnosed with Crohn's Disease at 16
Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis at 12
Juvenile Ankylosing Spondylitis at 16

Mom of S (23)
dx with JIA at 14
Ankylosing Spondylitis at 18
10-25-2018, 06:30 AM   #10
Pilgrim
Senior Member
 
Pilgrim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Ontario

My Support Groups:
kimmidwife,
We ended up getting a telemedicine visit with GI. He is adding fcal, Humira levels testing to our other tests and will bump up our son's Humira to weekly at least until the office visit.
So, we did get help for him by starting with the gp.
11-04-2018, 04:21 PM   #11
kimmidwife
Forum Monitor
 
kimmidwife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Florida

My Support Groups:
Pilgrim,
We did all of those tests. I am thinking MLP is right and she needs scopes. The last few days her pain is really bad again. Her last scopes were when she was diagnosed 3.5 years ago.
I am calling the doctor tomorrow and seeing if we can get in this week to see him.
11-04-2018, 04:35 PM   #12
Maya142
Forum Monitor
 
Maya142's Avatar
Is she on Humira weekly Kim? Even if her Humira levels are within the normal range, some kids need levels to be higher than the normal.

I agree that she definitely needs scopes. Since the MRE was normal and her issues seem to be in her small bowel, a pillcam may also be a good idea.

Is her pain usually after meals? If so, I would consider Gastroparesis if the scopes are clean.
11-04-2018, 05:11 PM   #13
kimmidwife
Forum Monitor
 
kimmidwife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Florida

My Support Groups:
Hi Maya,
Her pain is pretty random. Sometimes in the morning and almost every night at bedtime. She is also having some bad headaches which she did the last time she flared up.
11-05-2018, 10:24 PM   #14
kimmidwife
Forum Monitor
 
kimmidwife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Florida

My Support Groups:
Update:
So we saw the GI for an emergency appt today. He does not yet want to scope her. He wants to do a course of budesonide and 7 days of Flagyl and see how she does. Shenis also going to do the breathe test tomorrow to check her enzymes for CSID since her sister has that.
If she is not doing better by next visit then we will rethink scopes.
11-05-2018, 11:55 PM   #15
my little penguin
Forum Monitor
 
Join Date: Apr 2012

My Support Groups:
But if you do steriods and flagyl
That will muddy the waters
And you wonít know if the current med is not working
Needs upped or what is going on
11-06-2018, 10:06 PM   #16
kimmidwife
Forum Monitor
 
kimmidwife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Florida

My Support Groups:
It is true it might but he really doesnít want to scope her yet. He tries not to scope the smaller kids to often.
12-05-2018, 06:53 PM   #17
kimmidwife
Forum Monitor
 
kimmidwife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Florida

My Support Groups:
I just wanted to give a quick update. After the flagyl and two weeks of entocort she was doing better. The doctor decided that her weight is up enough to raise her Humira to 40mg. After a month on the new dose we will check a fecal calp again.
12-05-2018, 07:37 PM   #18
Maya142
Forum Monitor
 
Maya142's Avatar
Hope the increase in Humira helps!! How much does she weigh?? And if she's been dxed 3 years, does that mean she's 10 now, or am I remembering incorrectly?

Really glad she is feeling better!! That's a relief.
12-05-2018, 08:01 PM   #19
my little penguin
Forum Monitor
 
Join Date: Apr 2012

My Support Groups:
Glad your getting a higher dose of humira
40 mg made a big difference for ds
He was 9 when he bumped up the ďadult ď dose
It did take a few months at the higher dose to see a difference though
Good luck
12-05-2018, 09:17 PM   #20
pdx
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Portland, Oregon

My Support Groups:
Glad to hear this--really hope it helps!
__________________
Daughter E (16) dx with Crohn's 12/18/14 at age 12

Current treatment:

Remicade started 12/24/14 (9 mg/kg every 6 weeks)
Methotrexate restarted 12/2/16 (15 mg weekly)
vitamin D, folic acid, multivitamin, Prozac

Past Treatment
90% EN via NG tube 2/9/15 - 4/2/15
50% EN via NG tube 4/3/15 - 4/18/15
Supplemental EN via NG tube 5/7/15-6/19/15
Budesonide 3/3/15-6/30/15, 3/24/18-5/18/18
Methotrexate 3/13/15 - 5/14/16 (15 mg weekly)
Clobetasol for Remicade-induced psoriasis
12-05-2018, 09:30 PM   #21
crohnsinct
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: California

My Support Groups:
Well it seems that feeling better after flagyl and entocort is enough of a justification for a Humira increase. Glad she is feeling better. Hopefully the increase in Humira does it's thing.
12-05-2018, 10:14 PM   #22
Pilgrim
Senior Member
 
Pilgrim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Ontario

My Support Groups:
Upping the Humira to 40mg really helped H last December. She's been doing great for most of the year. She was around 60lbs and 7yrs old at increase.
I hope it works!
12-05-2018, 10:51 PM   #23
Jelly loves Peanut butter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Southern California

My Support Groups:
Glad she is doing better🤗🤗🤗💜
__________________

Mom of Lincoln (age 12)

Dx. Crohn's 9/2016 (age 9)
Dx. Juvenile Spondyloarthritis 9/2017 (age 10)

6-Mp 9/2016-10/2017
Remicade started 9/2017
MTX started 9/2017
Reply

Crohn's Disease Forum » Parents of Kids with IBD » Confusing Fecal Calprotectin Results
Thread Tools


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:20 AM.
Copyright 2006-2017 Crohnsforum.com