• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Let's get the juice talk going again!

nogutsnoglory

Currently buying Suja organic juices from Whole Foods. I love it and I get my salad in a bottle without worrying about obstructions.

scottsma

I've juiced daily for a couple of years.Mostly veg.and apples.

But for some reason I don't understand,I stopped about 4 weeks ago.

This new post maybe the push I need to get started again.Thankyou.

GUILTY!

I've been having either a juice or a fruit shake for breakfast all week (this is usually just banana & almond milk, cuz I am still too scared to add other whole fruit).

What all do you guys put in your juices? I've been juicing just about anything thats in my kitchen, but I really like apple, spinach & orange together.

I've only made one batch of juice and love it so far. I did orange, apple, carrot, parsley & kale. It felt so good to get something healthy in my body finally. I even put some in a probiotic, banana smoothie.

nogutsnoglory

I also add e3live which is algae liquid but I do feel it helps my skin glow and makes me feel better. Who knows but I think it can't hurt and it's a sea vegetable.

Yes, I've fallen off the juice wagon too. I don't know why, because it was definitely giving me a real energy boost. Off to the shops today to get back on track.

scottsma

GUILTY!

I've been having either a juice or a fruit shake for breakfast all week (this is usually just banana & almond milk, cuz I am still too scared to add other whole fruit).

What all do you guys put in your juices? I've been juicing just about anything thats in my kitchen, but I really like apple, spinach & orange together.
Usually just carrots,beetroot,peeled and green apple.

Google the benefits of carrots and beets.you'll be impressed.

I'll def add beets to my list this week. I've read up on carrots (ok that sounds ridiculous, I need to get out more) and have a big bunch to juice today.

What are some other gut-friendly foods for juicing?

I'm trying to kick a cold too. Elderberry syrup has saved me so far!

scottsma

I'll def add beets to my list this week. I've read up on carrots (ok that sounds ridiculous, I need to get out more) and have a big bunch to juice today.

What are some other gut-friendly foods for juicing?

I'm trying to kick a cold too. Elderberry syrup has saved me so far!
It's trial and error.Google Juicing for Crohns-Colitis.Don't go overboard.A bit at a time until you know what suits you.Enjoy !!!:smile:

You'll also find juicing for colds etc too.

I still juice everyday. But we used to juice beets almost daily. After my husband's second bout with kidney stones, we learned that the beets are a contributing factor. So, if you are prone to kidney stones, you may want to limit your beet intake.

Good to know. I peeled it today but could still taste that "earthiness" so I think beets will be occasional for me anyway!

My husband and I have been juicing several times daily :beerchug: for a couple of weeks now and we are totally hooked. We have a glass before breakfast and another after dinner - sometimes even one as a mid-day snack. My Crohn's has been in remission and I've been totally medication free for the last few years because of my diet and I'd totally recommend juicing. :wine:
The only weird thing is it turns your poo slightly reddish if you add beets or red cabbage :poop: But it hasn't messed with the consistency at all. It's still totally formed and normal. :poo:
Other than that I've had nothing but added energy and I'm helping feed my good-gut bacteria and flooded my gut and body with micro nutrients.
Here's some good juicing recipes. http://www.rebootwithjoe.com/category/blog/recipes/juice/

Rock on Rockstars
:headbang:

I'm still rocking the juice too. I out it in a blender bottle with kefir and I admit, on occasion, some Advocare spark (like 1/4 scoop). I'm still recovering from my first Crohns go-round so I'm being cautious with everything.

I could not imagine life without a daily veggie juice drink, before dinner. Somehow it stabilizes the symptoms as long as I'm also eating healthy. I use carrot as a base and then add various greens or cucumber, celery, red pepper, in variations. It is quite tasty with the right mix. Carrot juice in particular seems to offer a kind of protection and makes me feel better, for some reason.

Fruit juices don't always work so well, particularly juiced apples which are quickly (and I mean VERY quickly) eliminated. Grape balanced with lettuce and celery acts as a tonic and works well.

My dad was asking about juicing when they were here over Easter. Unusually peel citrus and cut apples off the core. Do you all?

I could not imagine life without a daily veggie juice drink, before dinner. Somehow it stabilizes the symptoms as long as I'm also eating healthy. I use carrot as a base and then add various greens or cucumber, celery, red pepper, in variations. It is quite tasty with the right mix. Carrot juice in particular seems to offer a kind of protection and makes me feel better, for some reason.

Fruit juices don't always work so well, particularly juiced apples which are quickly (and I mean VERY quickly) eliminated. Grape balanced with lettuce and celery acts as a tonic and works well.
My son can't do apple or pear juice of any kind. It is likely a problem with the fructose in the apples and pears. If anyone is having problems with tolerating juices I would recommend starting with small amounts, as others have suggested, and try sticking to low FODMAP foods as they are the ones with sugars that are easier to digest. When you juice the sugars in the fruits and veggies are concentrated so if you have any issues with digesting the sugars they will be intensified with juicing. I will include a link to a list of low FODMAP foods.

http://blog.katescarlata.com/fodmaps-basics/low-fodmap-shopping-list/

I juice a lot! I stay away from the fruits except lemon. Fruits have too much sugar and sugar isn't good for me. Lemons are an exception. I can have lemons because they are low sugar. Lemons add a little tangy delight too. :)

A long with my veggies I found that juicing bottle gourd and/or red cabbage have really helped improve my condition. I highly suggest trying them.

the only fruit or vegetable I peel is an orange. It's way too bitter and gross if I don't peel it. We are blessed to have so many local, fresh fruits and veggies so our juices are always different depending on the season.

Interesting about the gourd & cabbage. What's your secret for making a drinkable juice without the sweetness of fruits?
I allow one carrot. It has quite a bit of sugar. I also will usually have a lemon in there. It is of course a fruit but I don't think the sugar is that much and the tang certainly helps give it some flavor. I have also come across some minty greens at the store near my house (sorry I don't know the name) and those sure add a nice flavor.

dave13

Forum Monitor
I just made some apple/carrot juice.It was the first time I did not peel the apples.It didn't seem to clog the screen any more than when I peel them.It saved some tedious and time consuming prep...might make me juice more.

Cabbage,huh? I'll have to work my way up to that.I just have a preconceived taste in my brain...and it isn't helping.You put the carrot with the cabbage?

scottsma

I never peel apples for juice,BUT,I do take out the pips as they contain a small amount of CYANIDE.I'd probably need to eat an awful lot of them to have any ill effects,but why risk it.

I just made some apple/carrot juice.It was the first time I did not peel the apples.It didn't seem to clog the screen any more than when I peel them.It saved some tedious and time consuming prep...might make me juice more.

Cabbage,huh? I'll have to work my way up to that.I just have a preconceived taste in my brain...and it isn't helping.You put the carrot with the cabbage?
Yes, red cabbage though. It has to be the purple colored one, not the white or green ones. The taste isn't all that great. You are imagining something not delicious and it isn't. But other fruits can make it taste better.

They say it is better to drink the cabbage juice 2 or 3 times a day, but I can't be bothered to have it more than once, some days I don't juice at all. Still, when I started juicing the red cabbage I did it more often and I noticed within a couple of days it was helping. Now I am just maintaining. If I flare, I will go back to more often.

If anyone is interested, I would suggest having three ounces of pure red cabbage juice three times a day for three days just as a test. (Feel free to add some carrot juice on top of the three ounces. I also think it is better on an emptier stomach but it isn't totally necessary) All of us are desperate for something that works. If it works, it is worth it. On the fourth morning if it doesn't seem like there is any difference, I doubt it is what you need.

Last edited:
oh, my secret to making it palatable is carrot and lemon. the sweetness and tanginess cover up some of the "meh" of red cabbage

Yep- fresh juice most days- can't tell the exact recipes as my partner loves making concoctions. I haven't had apples, pears and grapes for a little while due to the flatulence factor- which is now getting better, so will start again. But in the main, loads of pineapple with orange and fresh turmeric and or ginger added in, carrots,celery and whatever, and luckily we grow fruit and veg in our garden so there is always something- like now, pomegranates, limes and guava. I love fresh juices- I do the shopping and just pick up whatever is in season and a good deal and deal with it.

I picked up a red cabbage and some beets.I'm gonna give that a try.
Hi Dave,

Some people will have problems with beets. In someways beets are a really good testing food. It is not known why but some people after they drink beet juice will have a lot of intestinal discomfort and some people also have pink urine and dark purple bms. There is a medical term for pink urine from beets, so they know it is the beets doing it, but exactly why isn't clear.

I don't know if it is true but I have heard that pink urine is a serious sign of leaky gut syndrome. The red pigment is seeping through the intestines like it is not suppose to, getting into the blood stream and then getting filtered out into the kidneys and then into the urine making it pink.

Where as healthy people with no leaky gut won't have red pigment leaking through and effecting the color of their urine.

If you like the beets, that is great! If they don't workout so well, maybe just carrots and red cabbage? Carrot juice doesn't really taste that much like carrots. hahaha

Good luck!

dave13

Forum Monitor
I left the cabbage and beets on the counter,to get to room temperature,before juicing them.I come home and my wife had made a great supper that included beets and cabbage!H,m,m,m...guess I should have left a note.

I will try them soon.I do drink a lot of carrot/apple juice.I work in a natural food store and able to bring home 'shrink' produce and veg..Organic apples and carrots are the most common so that is why I use them so frequently.

Picked our own pomegranates and navel oranges from the garden a couple of days ago- juiced the produce- chipmunk cheeks the first slurp- but liquid sunshine from there on down. As a gardener by trade I fully endorse pulling out all those things you can see and smell in the park or the neighbours and grow fruit trees (and veges and herbs).

Only tried cabbage juice once- short while after consumption it heralded its metamorphosis as a gaseous cloud that trumpeted and shook the walls and had all inside the house move outside the house and onto the street for a lengthy period- a delicate little flavour I have named "pure sewer."

Picked our own pomegranates and navel oranges from the garden a couple of days ago- juiced the produce- chipmunk cheeks the first slurp- but liquid sunshine from there on down. As a gardener by trade I fully endorse pulling out all those things you can see and smell in the park or the neighbours and grow fruit trees (and veges and herbs).

Only tried cabbage juice once- short while after consumption it heralded its metamorphosis as a gaseous cloud that trumpeted and shook the walls and had all inside the house move outside the house and onto the street for a lengthy period- a delicate little flavour I have named "pure sewer."
your prose brings sunshine and smiles onto my cheeks. hehehe

does anyone know if you can incorporate juicing for colon prep? my 16 year old has to have her 2nd colonoscopy, and I'm thinking peeled apples, cucumbers and celery for liquids.

It might be the location of my crohns (ileum) but any juice/soup causes me a dull ache/burning sensation in the region. It's a bit of a problem really, as I havent had hardly any fruit or veg since being diagnosed in January

Someone asked if I restrain my juice. It does send to have some thickness & some chunks. Should I restrain? Don you think too much fiber might be coming through on yours too Plissken?