• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Eyes: Laser surgery with IBD.

PsychoJane

Hi!

I was wondering who among us has resorted to lasik surgery for the correction of their Nearsightedness, farsightedness, astigmatism, keratoconus, ...?

Were you ever told in the process that there were contraindications regarding your condition(CD, UC, else if applicable)? If so, what was told to you?

Have you been told not to get the procedure at all?

If you did get it, did you encounter any side effects/complication after doing the procedure? Post surgery chronical inflammation, extrem eyes dryness, etc?

I want to hear your thoughts, experience on the topic!

Thanks!

Last edited:

nogutsnoglory

I haven't been able to yet because my eyes are still changing. My optamologist is very familiar with my crohnd and never said it would be an issue.

hawkeye

Staff member
Thought about it many years ago and never thought about it since. I had to have some emergency laser work done a couple of years ago to fix a Posterior vitreous detachment to prevent it from becoming a retinal tear.

nogutsnoglory

Never said anything about it but maybe because we didn't get there yet. I know he always warns me if my eye is inflamed it's an emergency but otherwise nothing about lasik

I did Lasik before I was symptomatic or diagnosed with Crohn's. My vision had been great up until last year, when I was on prednisone. During the pred, I lost about 50% of my vision for several weeks (imagine waking up and not being able to read things past the length of your arm!), but it returned after I tapered off. Now, I'm just having trouble with low light. I'm not aware of any contradictions to having it with IBD, but if you're IBD manifests with eye inflammation, I'd probably avoid the surgery.

PsychoJane

VeganOstomy; do you know if your intervention was 100% laser or if it was with the creation of a flap using a blade and all?

I was told by my ophthalmologist that I have chronic dry eye because of crohns. After inquiring about laser correction he said I wasn't a candidate because it would only make the dry eye worse. He didn't mention any issues with regards to healing.

I was told by my ophthalmologist that I have chronic dry eye because of crohns. After inquiring about laser correction he said I wasn't a candidate because it would only make the dry eye worse.
Yes, it could lead to chronic dry-eyes, so if you already have problems, then you'll likely be adding fuel to the fire.

PsychoJane

Yep. I am aware of the dry eye issues and its been reported for a crohn patient. I just wonder if we are prone to more complications regarding the general healing considering we are susceptible to have keratopathy and what not...

I guess we never know xD

Yep. I am aware of the dry eye issues and its been reported for a crohn patient. I just wonder if we are prone to more complications regarding the general healing considering we are susceptible to have keratopathy and what not...

I guess we never know xD
I'd imagine that some of the drugs we take might contradict the surgery - like prednisone, which is notorious for causing poor wound healing and eye problems.

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
This is an interesting thread. I was giving Lasik a thought a few months ago. I also have been told I have dry eye. Looking forward to seeing what potential situations may arise and what questions are suggested for the opthamologist through this thread.