• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Strictures

I'm just looking to see if anyone else has some experience with their strictures.

I have had 2 strictures in my small intestine for quite sometime but just recently it has started causing problems (one obstruction and constant nausea) and my GI has given me two option; laparoscopic surgery or dilation of the strictures multiple times a year.

I'm only 25 and recently diagnosed (3 years) and would like to avoid surgery as long as possible.

What have others with strictures found most successful?

Thank you in advance.

Hi Shelley.
I have been diagnosed for over 30 years. I had one open resection about 15 years ago. And I wish I would have done it sooner. I still have to take more meds than I would like and really be careful about what I eat, but I have a full productive life.
Good luck to you.

Laparoscopic surgery for resection or strictureplasty?

I'd pick resection as the last resort solution and try dilation first if you can handle the situation. Otherwise resection would be for sure quickly resolutive.

Laparoscopic surgery for resection or strictureplasty?

I'd pick resection as the last resort solution and try dilation first if you can handle the situation. Otherwise resection would be for sure quickly resolutive.

Laparoscopic resection.

And so far symptoms aren't great but tolerable, I would like to hold off on surgery as long as I can.

Thank you for your advice.

IMHO, a laparoscopic re-section is Easy Street.

It was *so* much easier than having my appendix out a year earlier.

I would discuss pain relief options for post-surgery *before* you do surgery. I had a PCA pump with morphine, which was great!

Also, do not let *anyone* give you any nonsense about it being an "outpatient" surgery. Bullcrap.

You need to be dedicated to spending probably six days in the hospital. That's how long my stay was.

I didn't feel up to even working a part-time desk job until a solid eight weeks after surgery.

That being said, I felt awesome for about the next six years, more or less.

Thank you. Yes if I do decide to go through with it I would be in the hospital 4-6 days after. And they are telling me 6 weeks full recovery after I'm out of hospital. But that worries me I work job where I am standing, walking and moving a lot. That's one of my reasons for holding back. I would have to probably be off work for most of the time and I'm not preparedness to do that yet. It's not the money I just love my job and don't want to do that to my coworkers.