Crohn's Disease Forum » Parents of Kids with IBD » High starch low fiber based diet as effective as EEN - more studies NEEDED

12-27-2018, 03:54 PM   #1
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
High starch low fiber based diet as effective as EEN - more studies NEEDED

Only 5 kids started
Only kids completed the study
So much bigger groups needed

Food-based Diet May Be Comparable to Exclusive Enteral Nutrition in Kids With Crohn's

By David Douglas
December 26, 2018

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - A pilot study suggests that an individualized, food-based diet (CD-TREAT) may be as effective as exclusive enteral nutrition (EEN) in treating children with Crohn's disease (CD), according to European researchers.
Dr. Konstantinos Gerasimidis told Reuters Health by email that the "CD-TREAT diet has the potential to be used interchangeably or in conjunction with established therapies, is side-effects free and raises the prospect of long-term maintenance of disease remission with diet only."

In a paper online December 7 in Gastroenterology, Dr. Gerasimidis of the Glasgow Royal Infirmary, in the U.K., and colleagues note that particularly in Europe, EEN is the only established dietary treatment in pediatric CD. This, they say, "induces clinical remission in approximately 80% of patients and promotes gut healing."
The mechanism of action of EEN is not clear but its therapeutic properties may involve modulation of the gut microbiome. The effects appear to be reversed when patients resume their habitual diet and gut inflammation increases.
The team developed the Crohn's Disease Treatment-with-EATing diet (CD-TREAT), which is based on the composition of an EEN feed (Modulen IBD, Nestle) and mimics its effect on the gut microbiome. However, this diet employs ordinary food. For example, food high in starch and low in fiber substitutes for maltodextrin, an artificial glucose polymer commonly used in EEN.
CD-TREAT and EEN were randomly compared in 25 healthy adult volunteers. Both diets produced similar effects on the microbiome, and CD-TREAT was considered more acceptable.
Using a rat model, the researchers also found CD-TREAT and EEN produced similar changes in bacterial load.
The team then studied five children diagnosed with relapsing CD who were treated exclusively with the CD-TREAT diet for eight weeks. One discontinued after nine days due to symptom exacerbation, but the four remaining children had a clinical response and three entered remission with significant concurrent reductions in fecal calprotectin.
The researchers conclude that large, well-controlled clinical trials and other studies are now required. Should the outcome be successful, they say, "CD-TREAT has the potential to be used interchangeably with EEN, particularly in adults where EEN uptake is low."
Dr. Arun Swaminath, director of the Inflammatory Bowel Disease Program of Lenox Hill Hospital, in New York City, told Reuters Health by email, "This is a very powerful, but preliminary, study."
"Many have taken note of the benefit of liquid polymeric diets . . . in getting kids with Crohn's into remission," added Dr. Swaminath, who was not involved in the research. But, he said, "One of the main limitations to adoption of such a diet is the single flavor (sweet) and fatigue that develops with trying to maintain this diet long term."
The improvement seen in the five children with CD, Dr. Swaminath said, "is a very important step in identifying things to include (or exclude) from solid food so that patients with Crohn's can have a diet option that may mitigate their disease activity."
Dr. Eytan Wine, associate professor in the division of pediatric gastroenterology and nutrition at the University of Alberta, in Edmonton, Canada, agrees.
"The findings of the study are of great interest, since they demonstrate much similarity between these diets in their effects on gut microbes and metabolism and (although only 5 children with Crohn's disease were included) CD-TREAT does seem to have a positive impact on patients," Dr. Wine, who also was not involved in the study, told Reuters Health by email.
He concluded, "While larger studies would be needed to confirm the clinical impact of this work, any progress in understanding how food can impact Crohn's disease is exciting and may get us closer to finding effective, safe, and well-tolerated treatments for these complex conditions."
SOURCE: https://bit.ly/2V8isIs
Gastroenterology 2018.

From
https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle...=1845407&faf=1

Which is the opposite of SCD and other Crohns diets 🙄
12-28-2018, 01:33 AM   #2
Pangolin

My Support Groups:
Thanks! Looks like a couple of the main restrictions of the diet are no lactose and no gluten.
12-28-2018, 07:23 AM   #3
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
After four weeks on CD-TREAT, 60% (3/5) clinically responded (wPCDAI change>17.5) and 40% (2/5) were in clinical remission (wPCDAI<12.5). At the end of eight weeks treatment, 80% (4/5) clinically responded and 60% (3/5) entered clinical remission. In the four children who completed eight weeks on CD-TREAT, the wPCDAI decreased from a baseline mean (SD) of 32.5 (7.5) to 11.3 (9.2) and 7.5 (7.4) at four (P=.012) and eight (P=.005) weeks, respectively (Figure 5A, Supplementary Table S37). One patient had raised CRP and low albumin at CD-TREAT initiation; both inflammatory markers normalized by treatment completion. All four patients who completed eight weeks on CD-TREAT had raised FC (range 307 to 2,602 mg/kg) at treatment initiation (Figure 5B, Supplementary Table S36). By week four and eight on CD-TREAT, the baseline concentration of FC significantly decreased by 53% and 55% respectively [mean (SD); Baseline: 1,960 (1,104), 4 weeks 981 (690), 8 weeks 1,042 (776) mg/kg]. In one patient (25%), FC decreased to normal (<50
19 mg/kg) levels (Figure 5B). Interestingly, FC decreased also in the patient who discontinued CD- TREAT after nine days (Baseline 2,026 vs nine days 1,072 mg/kg

From
https://www.gastrojournal.org/articl...hp%3Ft%3D84506

So to summarize ALL KIDS were on meds at the time
The one that stopped the DIET treatment had lower FC as well as the other kids AT THE END OF THE DIET TREATMENT
Only one CHILD went to normal
4 children is not a large enough study
12-29-2018, 01:10 AM   #4
Maya142
Forum Monitor

Wow, that is one teeny tiny study. I'm kind of surprised they even wrote an article for publication so early in the study process - only 4 kids essentially. I would have expected the researchers/doctors to want to see a stronger trend in a larger sample size and then publish.
Juvenile Ankylosing Spondylitis at 16

Mom of S (23)
dx with JIA at 14
Ankylosing Spondylitis at 18
12-31-2018, 08:31 AM   #5
Lady Organic
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I see a cathering company prepared the meals for the study. THis is a very brillant idea. Compliance to diatery changes may be greatly inhanced if food is already prepared.
I am pretty sure the research is still ongoing and that they wil continue to enroll more patients in their study. With the level of work and details with composition of microbiome, I cant see it otherwise. Theres a great future aheah of us for reasearch in nutritherapy.
Diet: ''IBD-AID'' : http://www.nutritionj.com/content/13/1/5+ organic food only, Vitamin D + B12 shots
Past meds: prednisone 50mg, 5-ASA (pill, rectal), cortifoam, cortenema, Imuran, Purinethol, methotrexate.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Parents of Kids with IBD » High starch low fiber based diet as effective as EEN - more studies NEEDED