05-28-2018, 11:42 AM   #1
Louise245

Fistula

I went to the doctors today and I have blood in urine. I have come home and notice what I think is a couple of fistulas. I had an abscess 2 weeks ago and was prescribed antibiotics which worked. Do you have to have surgery for fistula? I am still yet to be diagnosed with Crohn's.
05-28-2018, 01:13 PM   #2
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I usually have to have surgery for a fistula.
05-28-2018, 09:21 PM   #3
cmack
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I went to the doctors today and I have blood in urine. I have come home and notice what I think is a couple of fistulas. I had an abscess 2 weeks ago and was prescribed antibiotics which worked. Do you have to have surgery for fistula? I am still yet to be diagnosed with Crohn's.
Hi Louise,

Usually surgery is required for a fistula, however a small percentage will heal with proper wound care, and/or with certain medications. I would make an appointment to show the doctor right away and get his/her opinion. It is not uncommon for an abscess to cause a fistula, and antibiotics are not really the best way of dealing with an abscess. Usually they need to be drained and packed along with a course of antibiotics before and after the drainage procedure. Best of luck with everything and feel free to ask anything you would like to know.

Last edited by cmack; 05-28-2018 at 09:48 PM. Reason: correction