• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

1-piece vs 2-piece ; filtered vs. unfiltered, HELP

Hi I'm a new ostomate with many questions who wants to find my perfect bag and supplies to fit my lifestyle.

So can anybody give me the low down on why some people choose 1-piece over 2-piece and vice versa?

Why do some people prefer not to have a filter with their bag?

How did you end up with the bag you use now? How do you decide when there are so many brands and models?

So far I know I like the Coloplast Sensura Mio. But is there something better out there for me? So much to learn.

Thanks ostomates!!

Hi Emily, I use a 2 piece but use the coloplast sensura click. I originally used a dansac nova 1 piece bag and hated it, it leaked a lot and just didn't feel comfortable. Since I started using the sensura click 2 piece i've had no big leaks and it gave me the confidence to pretty much do whatever I wanted again.

I've only ever used bags with a filter so can't offer much insight on that side of things but I much prefer a 2 piece.

I can get 4-5 days out of the main flange if I need to and just simply change the bag every morning before work which is really simple because of the click/lock mechanism. which keeps it all feeling fresh without having to go through a full change.

I did try the sensura mio but Iirc that had a sort of glue/velcro seal for the bag which I didn't really like.

The best thing I'd say to do is just go on the various brands websites and get samples to try out new things and you'll find whats best for you.

Bufford

I've never had any luck with the filters, they clog up. I prefer to keep it simple and am using a two piece system from Hollister. One has to experiment to find what works best, I found Convatec hit and miss and the glue time does not last as long as Hollister, however all have their drawback, and the one thing about Hollister is that I find the pouch drain too narrow. No system is going to be perfect. Its been 15 years on the bag and counting.

I use a one piece Mio sensura, with a Salts mouldable ring which works well for me, as far as I know, most people in the UK use one piece, no idea why.
The pouch I use does have a filter, but I find them to be useless, they either work to well and create a vacum in the pouch causing leaks, or don't work at all when they clog up, so I cover the filter up.
I went through a few pouches before I found one I liked, you just have to keep looking, there'll be something out there that suits you.

I use a one piece Mio sensura, with a Salts mouldable ring which works well for me, as far as I know, most people in the UK use one piece, no idea why.

The pouch I use does have a filter, but I find them to be useless, they either work to well and create a vacum in the pouch causing leaks, or don't work at all when they clog up, so I cover the filter up.

I went through a few pouches before I found one I liked, you just have to keep looking, there'll be something out there that suits you.

My Stoma nurses never offered me a choice of types of bag, I was just sent home from hospital with 7 one piece bags.
I only realised that I could use two piece bags after several days of struggling to get the one piece ones to stick, my skin getting more and more raw and leaking every couple of hours that I contacted a friend from my local Crohn's support group and he came round to my house with a huge bag of products that. I then had to justify to my Stoma Nurse why I wanted to order a load of products (mouldable rings, Convatec orahesive powder, gel capsules etc) before she would let me have them - she commented that it was all very expensive....

I much preferred using two piece bags; I used the Coloplast convex SenSura with mechanical coupling. I also used the Hollister Adapt barrier rings and Convatec Orahesive paste as I had a big dent under my Stoma and they helped to even out my skin. Personally I felt that the two piece allowed to me to ensure that my bag was really secure as I could see what I was doing when I put the baseplate on and could press all the way round my Stoma.

I wasn't given a choice either, luckily the one piece worked great for me, you'd think the two piece would be the cheaper option in the long run, being able to just change the pouch part.
I found it easier to get add on items through my GP than my Stoma nurse, my GP doesn't know much about stoma's so he just agrees if I say I need something, unlike the Stoma nurses, they really are strict .

I wasn't given a choice either, luckily the one piece worked great for me, you'd think the two piece would be the cheaper option in the long run, being able to just change the pouch part.

I found it easier to get add on items through my GP than my Stoma nurse, my GP doesn't know much about stoma's so he just agrees if I say I need something, unlike the Stoma nurses, they really are strict .

Charter Healthcare wouldn't let me put in my first order without the authorisation of my Stoma nurse. After the first one I always did it through my GP.

I started out with Hollister 2 piece, and after several years, became very allergic to the wafer. I changed to Coloplast 2 piece non-filter clickable. I have an ileostomy and filters do not work for me. They clog after a few hours and stink to high heaven.